Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

About to buy our 1st GX470

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-12, 10:01 PM   #1
MikeFoxx
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)
 
MikeFoxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lodi Nor*Cal
Posts: 1,984
MikeFoxx MikeF0xx
Cool About to buy our 1st GX470

Pretty excited to buy our next ride. Currently have a gs300 and mercedes e-class but im seriously stoked to get this GX. Read a few threads on known issues and recall stuff... We r looking at a 2006 with 40k. Looking forward to joinin this side of ClubLexus but the gs will still be my daily. No big plans for the GX maybe a retrofit on the stock headlights and led tails if that.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
__________________
Build Thread: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/buil...350-build.html

Are those parts authentic... or nah?
MikeFoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 03:11 AM   #2
Ancient
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 273
Default

2006, with 40k, sounds like someone only took this car to church. As stated in the posts you have read, these are problems, but not common to everyone. At least you have some kind of list, to look the truck over well, before you buy.

Stock, nothing wrong with the truck, the way it came off the boat. Low beams are a good improvement. I did the fogs first and working in reverse to the low's. The HID low beams are a good choice for the first mod and it isn't a lot of money. Welcome to this side of the forum. Post pics, when you buy.
Ancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 03:49 AM   #3
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 1,308
Default

Congratulations! Post pictures of the new baby!
__________________
2006 GX470 Blizzard Pearl
XenonDepot Volt HID kit Low/Fog 4300K

2005 RX330 Thundercloud Edition (sold)
redrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-12, 08:02 PM   #4
Globalinx
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Globalinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ON
Posts: 232
Default

Congrats. Show us what you got. I only upgraded fogs to HIDs, other than that I like the way the car is. The ride is a bit different than the RX. A bit rougher I'd say. And the only issue I had is a clunky driveshaft, which was replaced by the dealer, but it came back a year later. I learned to live with it and it gives a car a character now. BTW what gen is your GS? I got a 2GS4 also, love the car.

Edit: Oh yea, I forgot about the ML speakers in my GX. They are *****, had to fix a few of them.
__________________
2000 GS400
1999 RX300 SOLD
2003 GX470
1994 VIPER SOLD
2005 VIPER
Globalinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-12, 12:00 AM   #5
MikeFoxx
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)
 
MikeFoxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lodi Nor*Cal
Posts: 1,984
MikeFoxx MikeF0xx
Default

Right on... When we buy it i'll def post some pics. HID for the lows and fogs prob will be the first on my list. This is the mrs. primary.

I have a 1998 gs300. Just ordered kyb shocks, h&r springs, mrr hr3 20", front and rear lower braces, Depo led tails, and recently put on a kazz grill and wald lip. HIDs were the first thing i did. Just need my tanabe medallion exhaust and then i'll start upgrading more suspension/chasis parts. Got to get ready from spring :-)
__________________
Build Thread: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/buil...350-build.html

Are those parts authentic... or nah?
MikeFoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 06:44 PM   #6
MikeFoxx
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)
 
MikeFoxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lodi Nor*Cal
Posts: 1,984
MikeFoxx MikeF0xx
Default

*** Update

We decided to go with a 2007 gx470 silver with dark grey interior. We will have all the service history from lexus of sacramento and the two major services at 75 and 95 miles were all completed. It does have 102k but they are mostly freeway.
__________________
Build Thread: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/buil...350-build.html

Are those parts authentic... or nah?
MikeFoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 09:34 PM   #7
clubsport
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalinx View Post
Congrats. Show us what you got. I only upgraded fogs to HIDs, other than that I like the way the car is. The ride is a bit different than the RX. A bit rougher I'd say. And the only issue I had is a clunky driveshaft, which was replaced by the dealer, but it came back a year later. I learned to live with it and it gives a car a character now. BTW what gen is your GS? I got a 2GS4 also, love the car.

Edit: Oh yea, I forgot about the ML speakers in my GX. They are *****, had to fix a few of them.
the rx350 has to be one of the best nonsport car driving experience i have ever had... too bad the older generation rx looked rather girly... but nevertheless it was because of the rx that i decided to get a gx470... not smooth like an rx but still my preferred suv
clubsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-12, 06:52 AM   #8
golfdawg
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ga
Posts: 37
Default

We bought our GX about 3 years ago or so with some where in the 50k range. Still have it and it now has approx 117k. Absolutely LOVE IT. No Problems. No Issues(well except my Sirius just went out, see posts). The only negative is MPG, but I drive it now and only do about 14 miles roundtrip. Rides awesome, quite and we tow our 232 Chaparral Sunesta with no problems. That weighs in around 6k when loaded up. Enjoy. you are making a great choice.
__________________
"People don't care how much you know, they only want to know how much you care"

2006 GX470
1999 ES 300
1996 LX 400 - sold
golfdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-12, 06:45 PM   #9
stuhrw
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 10
Default My GX470 Likes/Dislikes

I've had my 2007 GX470 since November and I really do love it. I was a 10-year mini van dad and my kids are now off to college. Rolling in the Honda Odyssey just seemed a little odd, so I decided to upgrade. Why not??!!! I bought my wife an Infiniti G35 sport coupe as an empty nester gift to her. I deserved the GX and I can tell you I'm glad I bought it (I still call it the "van" sometimes....just out of habit).

Anywayz., my likes are as follows:
1. Its a truck. It looks cool, and you feel cool driving it.
2. The moon roof is huge and has an air deflector so your hair stays in place.
3. You can actually tow heavy stuff like boats (yeah like I'll ever get one) and campers.
4. Comfort--drove it from Georgia to Pennsylvania and it was rolling in my living room.
5. Hands free bluetooth phone works good; I can hear people and they can hear me.
6. Personalized seat/mirror/steering wheel settings; this is awesome.
7. Power--V8 makes a lot of power and sounds great when you romp on it.
8. Cargo space--It is not a Honda Odyssey, but you pull the third row seats out, fold down the second row, and you're pretty close.
9. Auto wipers--dumb, but i just like them.
10. The steering wheel moves up and out of the way when you get out. I'm not fat, but I am working on it, and this is a great feature for folks with a bit more up front.
11. Lights--lots of convenience lighting inside and out. you'll appreciate that.
12. Quiet--other than the groan from my AT tires and the downhill differential whine, its quiet as mouse at highway speeds. Nice.
13. Highly capable off-road. Not that I'd ever do it, but if I needed to, I could. This is just a manly feature that I appreciate more than most, being that I'm just coming off of my minivan.
14. Performance in snow. I live in Georgia, but was just in Pennsylvania/New York and the GX is fantastic in the snow. Acceleration, braking, and control are just outstanding in winter.

Dislikes:
1. Nav system. It's not good. And, like my momma, won't let me program it or make a phone call while you're moving. We won't even mention the fact that your passenger can only watch a dvd while in PARK with the parking brake ON. This just makes me angry.....so I'll stop. If I could disable it easily, I would, but as we all know....2007 was the year that the disable code was removed. Only fix is a rewire, and that sux.
2. Fuel mileage. It's not that great--15-19 range. On the bright side, you can drive it like a scalded dog or like a grandmother......you'll still get 15 - 19. Don't even bother bumping up your tire pressure....15 -19.
3. Premium fuel. You don't need it. I know the sticker says premium fuel only. But, the owner's manual says you don't need it. The only reason it says "required" is to maintain lexus' status as a low emissions vehicle. Has nothing to do with performance and won't hurt your engine. Premium is only required for high compression engines to prevent knocking. Your GX is not a high comp motor, and therefore, doesn't need premium fuel. But, if you have money coming out of your ears and want to feel "green", go for it!
4. Rear cargo door. Opens from the side so when it rains, you get soaked. It doesn't stay open either and likes to close on you when you're pulling groceries out. Yeah...I know....there's a way to lock it open if you don't mind getting your hands all greasy.
5. Cup holders. Kinda in an odd spot. They work but...you'll see.

Tried to be as thorough as I could. Bottom line, great truck, but be ready to bust out your wallet at the gas pump. If I could do it all over again, I'd buy the same thing. No regrets.
stuhrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-12, 08:09 PM   #10
clubsport
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 380
Default

seems like you have very taste my friend, besides the nice g35, a gx470 too? hahaha

i love my 05 g35 coupe athens blue
and i really like my gx470, although your dislikes of the truck seem rather nonsignificant... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhrw View Post
I've had my 2007 GX470 since November and I really do love it. I was a 10-year mini van dad and my kids are now off to college. Rolling in the Honda Odyssey just seemed a little odd, so I decided to upgrade. Why not??!!! I bought my wife an Infiniti G35 sport coupe as an empty nester gift to her. I deserved the GX and I can tell you I'm glad I bought it (I still call it the "van" sometimes....just out of habit).

Anywayz., my likes are as follows:
1. Its a truck. It looks cool, and you feel cool driving it.
2. The moon roof is huge and has an air deflector so your hair stays in place.
3. You can actually tow heavy stuff like boats (yeah like I'll ever get one) and campers.
4. Comfort--drove it from Georgia to Pennsylvania and it was rolling in my living room.
5. Hands free bluetooth phone works good; I can hear people and they can hear me.
6. Personalized seat/mirror/steering wheel settings; this is awesome.
7. Power--V8 makes a lot of power and sounds great when you romp on it.
8. Cargo space--It is not a Honda Odyssey, but you pull the third row seats out, fold down the second row, and you're pretty close.
9. Auto wipers--dumb, but i just like them.
10. The steering wheel moves up and out of the way when you get out. I'm not fat, but I am working on it, and this is a great feature for folks with a bit more up front.
11. Lights--lots of convenience lighting inside and out. you'll appreciate that.
12. Quiet--other than the groan from my AT tires and the downhill differential whine, its quiet as mouse at highway speeds. Nice.
13. Highly capable off-road. Not that I'd ever do it, but if I needed to, I could. This is just a manly feature that I appreciate more than most, being that I'm just coming off of my minivan.
14. Performance in snow. I live in Georgia, but was just in Pennsylvania/New York and the GX is fantastic in the snow. Acceleration, braking, and control are just outstanding in winter.

Dislikes:
1. Nav system. It's not good. And, like my momma, won't let me program it or make a phone call while you're moving. We won't even mention the fact that your passenger can only watch a dvd while in PARK with the parking brake ON. This just makes me angry.....so I'll stop. If I could disable it easily, I would, but as we all know....2007 was the year that the disable code was removed. Only fix is a rewire, and that sux.
2. Fuel mileage. It's not that great--15-19 range. On the bright side, you can drive it like a scalded dog or like a grandmother......you'll still get 15 - 19. Don't even bother bumping up your tire pressure....15 -19.
3. Premium fuel. You don't need it. I know the sticker says premium fuel only. But, the owner's manual says you don't need it. The only reason it says "required" is to maintain lexus' status as a low emissions vehicle. Has nothing to do with performance and won't hurt your engine. Premium is only required for high compression engines to prevent knocking. Your GX is not a high comp motor, and therefore, doesn't need premium fuel. But, if you have money coming out of your ears and want to feel "green", go for it!
4. Rear cargo door. Opens from the side so when it rains, you get soaked. It doesn't stay open either and likes to close on you when you're pulling groceries out. Yeah...I know....there's a way to lock it open if you don't mind getting your hands all greasy.
5. Cup holders. Kinda in an odd spot. They work but...you'll see.

Tried to be as thorough as I could. Bottom line, great truck, but be ready to bust out your wallet at the gas pump. If I could do it all over again, I'd buy the same thing. No regrets.

Last edited by clubsport; 02-23-12 at 08:23 PM..
clubsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-12, 07:25 AM   #11
cdew002
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 240
Default

I love the auto wipers too man.
cdew002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-12, 10:42 AM   #12
MikeFoxx
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)
 
MikeFoxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lodi Nor*Cal
Posts: 1,984
MikeFoxx MikeF0xx
Default

Thanks for the posts fellas... We havent found a better all around deal with all the servicing history. Thanks for the gas info i have been searching to confirm that. I think this is gonna work well for my lil family... For gas prices it might be a wash from our e-class premium only 24gallon tank. Plan on storing it till sold.

Question - i know these like most lexus veh are built like tanks... Im considering a warranty that will cover Everything in and out electrical and mechanical. Its pricey but its good for 5 yrs and another 100k - should i?

I plan on it but i guess what in looking for is if there are any reasons why i shouldnt. Im droppin 15k so we arent financing much and thats why this warranty is on my list.
__________________
Build Thread: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/buil...350-build.html

Are those parts authentic... or nah?
MikeFoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-12, 10:44 AM   #13
MikeFoxx
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)
 
MikeFoxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lodi Nor*Cal
Posts: 1,984
MikeFoxx MikeF0xx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdawg View Post
We bought our GX about 3 years ago or so with some where in the 50k range. Still have it and it now has approx 117k. Absolutely LOVE IT. No Problems. No Issues(well except my Sirius just went out, see posts). The only negative is MPG, but I drive it now and only do about 14 miles roundtrip. Rides awesome, quite and we tow our 232 Chaparral Sunesta with no problems. That weighs in around 6k when loaded up. Enjoy. you are making a great choice.

Thats gotta feel good heading out to the lake... I'd be the friend with the 4 waverunners behind ya!
__________________
Build Thread: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/buil...350-build.html

Are those parts authentic... or nah?
MikeFoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 02:43 PM   #14
PDubs
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdawg View Post
We bought our GX about 3 years ago or so with some where in the 50k range. Still have it and it now has approx 117k. Absolutely LOVE IT. No Problems. No Issues(well except my Sirius just went out, see posts). The only negative is MPG, but I drive it now and only do about 14 miles roundtrip. Rides awesome, quite and we tow our 232 Chaparral Sunesta with no problems. That weighs in around 6k when loaded up. Enjoy. you are making a great choice.
This is the perfect photo and footnote for my wife and I to pull the trigger on our first GX470. Looking at a 2005 w/82k and was wondering if it could tow our 27' boat that weighs in maybe a little more than the 23' pictured. Thanks for posting that!
PDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 01:19 PM   #15
clubsport
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 380
Default

post pic when u do, nice truck in the photo too
clubsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 01:19 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics of GX460 F-Sport wheels on a GX470? Johnny Rad GX - First Generation 13 09-02-14 11:51 AM
Hitch-mounted cargo carrier? isp5190 GX - First Generation 1 03-24-13 10:48 PM
GX Diecast ecalica428 GX - First Generation 11 08-30-10 08:35 AM
GX470 Mods? slvrpine03 GX - First Generation 3 09-22-09 03:49 PM
GX470 maintenance cost gs_girl GX - First Generation 18 01-31-08 09:01 AM


Tags
1999, 2003, 2007, 470, back, buy, camper, door, gx, gx470, isnt, mpg, rx300, shut, towing, upgrades

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:25 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info