GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Common Issues Of GX470 / What issues have you encountered?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-12, 06:59 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Common Issues Of GX470 / What issues have you encountered?

Hi,

Hope everybody can chime in to make this a list thread of common issues that arise with GX470. From what I know I will list the first 2 that I know of:

1) Clunk sound from driveshaft
2) dashboard cracking
Old 02-13-12, 07:05 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

here's another

3) undercarriage rusting
Old 02-13-12, 07:09 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

here's one more

4) door ajar dash light (cargo door sensor) in cold weather
Old 02-13-12, 08:15 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the door ajar light really that common? Until this most recent post, I hadn't seen anything about it (I've been on here for almost two years).
Old 02-13-12, 09:25 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cdew002
Is the door ajar light really that common? Until this most recent post, I hadn't seen anything about it (I've been on here for almost two years).
there's a thread about this particular issue which i happened to have 2 days ago...

anyway, i been on this forum for five days now, before that i have never heard of this forum, never owned a lexus, and already i have encountered these common issues that i had to search about on the forum... seems like some seasoned veterans out there are not interested in sharing info here...
Old 02-14-12, 03:20 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Clubsport, welcome new member. I have reviewed this site for about a year, before I joined a few months ago. Everyone that joins, has lots of energy, and pretty much asks the same questions. That is not a bad thing. Typical.

Some new bees ask questions that are in their owners manual. Some buying older GX's may not have a manual. I am amazed at the collective knowledge on this forum, it is just a little slower to respond.

Some expect when the have a problem, that someone will respond in minutes. I have found from reading this forum, that when someone takes the time to respond and answers the question, the person has went off and done something else. Not disrespectful, well maybe a little, but typical. Not typical, I actually read all of the posts, before I joined. People keep their trucks for years, with hundreds of thousands of miles. Not sure about the "door adjar" being a typical problem, more like a part wearing out.

Here is a link for factory TSB's

http://www.lexustsb.com/categories/Lexus+GX470/

5. Wheel pitting, this is a common issue and a factory defect. This is not going to be a long list.

Last edited by Ancient; 02-14-12 at 04:14 AM.
Old 02-14-12, 04:01 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Servo motor passenger side mirror
Old 02-14-12, 04:25 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Leaking/bad airbags or bad airbag sensors in adjustable suspension
Old 02-14-12, 06:36 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

Clubsport - Normally, nobody here is going to be rude just to be rude. I am trying to be helpful - I am trying to be helpful to those that are considering buying a GX. Those are the ones that are going to read this thread and I don't want there to be misinformation.

10 pages of comments on a cracked dashboard constitute a "common issue." 51 pages of comments on a "clunk" constitute a "common issue." In my opinion, 6 posts about the door ajar issue don't make it common.
Old 02-14-12, 06:45 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

cdew002, I agree if you read my post. Take out door adjar, add height sensors as #4. #5 was mine with wheel pitting, a clear problem. We are up to 5 +/-.
Old 02-14-12, 07:34 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

Definitely. The other issues are more common than they should be in a Lexus. The clunk has been addressed by Lexus, but the dashboard and wheel pitting are the ones that are being neglected.

The rusting is unsightly (I have it), but I haven't read anywhere that is compromises safety (although the threads for the bolts that hold up my skid plate have almost rusted out).

The air bag and mirror complaints are less frequently addressed, but should still be considered common.

It's going to be tough coming up with many more...
Old 02-14-12, 08:48 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Consider changing the thread title. There's no data, premise other than anecdotal forum post freq to deem an issue as "common". It's more like what issues have YOU run into with YOUR truck?

The clunking isn't even as "commonly" read as they are on the 4th gen T4Rs.
Old 02-14-12, 08:58 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

Maybe remove the "official" aspect of it would be appropriate, but most semi-intelligent readers are going to know these "common issues" are subjective. Since Lexus isn't addressing things like wheel pitting and the crack-board, there won't be any data collected anywhere.

I'm having trouble figuring out what your last statement means - can you clarify?
I believe the intention of the poster was to bring awareness to issues an owner might run in to in a single thread.
Old 02-14-12, 11:15 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

well for an suv this big with this many parts - this is a very good car or truck

mercedes infiniti bmw - can have far worse issues and more of a headache than a gx470 as from experience and reading on other forums as i have owned these other brands before - so far lexus has to be the best from what i know as of now... oh and counting my ex-gf's audi? - lexus is the standard in quality control and reliability
The following users liked this post:
vatrujillo (03-31-20)
Old 02-14-12, 11:19 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

This forum was a good source for me buying a GX. However, I didn't have a list of the more significant items that people have been experiencing, other than reading all of the posts, or reading the ones with the most viewed or commented on. I was able to identify the "clunk fix" on my initial test drive of the car, because I was looking for it. I also had the wheel pitting issue and had two rims replaced, because I had that leverage at that time.

There is no one place to go (that I know of) that has a list to at least start with. There are at least 97,670 views of the "clunk fix". Seems that there should be some type of list, maybe wtih links to those most viewed or active posts???

Quick Reply: Common Issues Of GX470 / What issues have you encountered?