GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Common Issues Of GX470 / What issues have you encountered?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-12, 11:35 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, 1st off - common sense will go a long way when surfing the web: use it and be on guard always
for example the door ajar as some one astute enough to mention that it could be normal wear and tear, i get that and that is probably true, but i listed it because my gx470 with only 51k miles has it and 2 other people with similar mileage had it also and based on the mechanical aspect of it and how easy it was to fix it - it really is a design flaw and may or may not be very common but at 50k miles that is a defect nevertheless notwithstanding abnormal wear and tear,

yea, i guess if someone really at good at linking things could do a search and link the issue to a thread but i have trouble uploading images much less linking so please more people contribute with knowledge or tricks they know then that would be great, thanx
Old 02-14-12, 12:29 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just want you guys to know that a common issue written up on auto forums can't be deemed common to the car. What does "common" really mean anyways? I read these types of threads over in the BMW and Porsche worlds. From personal experience, it's the rod bearing issue on the E46 M3. Sub-frames cracking. HID units going bad. In the water-cooled 911 line, it's RMS leaks, IMS dust ups and coolant lines not withstanding track duties.

Many read and some post, but many also don't experience these issues. It's the same deal here. What might be more helpful is just a general collection of what happened to you and your truck during your ownership history. Have astute, active folks like Ancient, Alan, et al chime in as part of being a community voice.

Remember that they made over 170,000 of these GX470s. That's like an entire University of Michigan football stadium plus another full NFL one put together. That's a LOT of truck representing a production line that expired several years ago.

Let's keep it simple. Talk about your direct experience and have other GX lovers give helpful advice. Easy. Call it an official troubleshooting thread. People are here to help!
Old 02-14-12, 01:57 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

well, forum members are consumers so worry about us first and not some namebrand who could care less about us - this list could be very helpful to members and nonmembers alike so they can look for and prevent them from happening ahead of time if they knew what and where to look for problems in the 1st place... so keep it rolling knowledgeable members if you can chime in that would be great... and don't worry about the namebrand lexus cuz toyota is taking care of that...lol
Old 02-14-12, 09:28 PM
pgsandiego
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Radiator leak seems fairly common and is worth checking if you're looking at a used GX. Look for pink gunk build-up as the coolant is pink and the leak starts slow (hence the pink gunk build up on the outside of the radiator).
Old 02-14-12, 10:58 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by ROK
I just want you guys to know that a common issue written up on auto forums can't be deemed common to the car. What does "common" really mean anyways? I read these types of threads over in the BMW and Porsche worlds. From personal experience, it's the rod bearing issue on the E46 M3. Sub-frames cracking. HID units going bad. In the water-cooled 911 line, it's RMS leaks, IMS dust ups and coolant lines not withstanding track duties.

Many read and some post, but many also don't experience these issues. It's the same deal here. What might be more helpful is just a general collection of what happened to you and your truck during your ownership history. Have astute, active folks like Ancient, Alan, et al chime in as part of being a community voice.

Remember that they made over 170,000 of these GX470s. That's like an entire University of Michigan football stadium plus another full NFL one put together. That's a LOT of truck representing a production line that expired several years ago.

Let's keep it simple. Talk about your direct experience and have other GX lovers give helpful advice. Easy. Call it an official troubleshooting thread. People are here to help!
Yeah, Im going to disagree with that and agree with the OP. We are consumers first, a community second, and Lexus owners 3rd. Seen in that light, when I think of issues like the cracked dashboards so many have experienced, I dont care that the majority of the 170k may not see the issue. Enough do that its a well known issue both here, at Lexus and dealerships country wide. So frankly, screw Toyota and post it up in this thread so any potential buyer knows right up front that yeah, theres a bunch of known potential issues that we know about, heres one. IT gives them a list of issues to look for when shopping and helps their negotiating position as well. Anytime you can empower the consumer I say bravo!

No need IMO to try so hard and defend Lexus from a PR perspective, theyve already got good people doing so. Plus, we do own their products too, it isnt as if we dont have some $$ invested here as well or are just complaining for no reason. Were all owners here, some of us multiple Lexus owners, just trying to help. I think the thread is a great idea as is.
Old 02-15-12, 06:45 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure what the struggle is here as I'm not on Lexus payroll. I just bought their product just like you guys. Let's keep it simple. All I'm saying is re-title the thread because it is simply off-base, imo. I'll do what I can to share my testimony just as I've done in the past.

Why some of you are so quick to make it an argument... well, I guess that's the nature of auto forums amongst a bunch of strangers that have little to no accountability to each other. That's the bottom-line.

I'm here to help as I've received some help myself. This is the bottom-line.
Old 02-15-12, 07:37 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pgsandiego
Radiator leak seems fairly common and is worth checking if you're looking at a used GX. Look for pink gunk build-up as the coolant is pink and the leak starts slow (hence the pink gunk build up on the outside of the radiator).
yes, this is a rather common issue - please do open up your engine bay and take a look and have it warranty serviced before you run out - very common
Old 02-15-12, 07:40 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ROK
Not sure what the struggle is here as I'm not on Lexus payroll. I just bought their product just like you guys. Let's keep it simple. All I'm saying is re-title the thread because it is simply off-base, imo. I'll do what I can to share my testimony just as I've done in the past.

Why some of you are so quick to make it an argument... well, I guess that's the nature of auto forums amongst a bunch of strangers that have little to no accountability to each other. That's the bottom-line.

I'm here to help as I've received some help myself. This is the bottom-line.
well since you seem to go against the tide of this thread, when you could have just ignored the thread, you therefore created the struggle... so it is perfectly reasonable to answer your issue with the thread if you raise issues with it... no foul no harm... let it roll...
Old 02-15-12, 01:35 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

soooo, the air suspension is garbage.
Old 02-15-12, 04:32 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris - care to elaborate?

Wouldn't it be ironic if ROK and Club were unknowingly friends in real life.
Old 02-15-12, 08:08 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by cdew002
Chris - care to elaborate?

Wouldn't it be ironic if ROK and Club were unknowingly friends in real life.
I think I had mentioned it earlier.

The airbags are known to leak over time and/or the airbag sensors can also go bad and require replacing which is also a fairly expensive, laborious job.
Old 02-16-12, 11:03 AM
CruiserGX
Rookie

Read this, it lists all of the TSB's and recalls for all year models:

http://www.lexustsb.com/categories/Lexus+GX470/
Old 02-16-12, 11:37 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

thanx for the list, that is a good list but still not complete... it's missing the rusting issue, the radiator leak, etc... thanx
re: tsb list
Old 02-16-12, 07:04 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

I've cleaned up this thread and edited the title. Guys, keep this thread polite and mature or do not post.

There is an ignore feature on CL, use it if you have a constant problem with another member https://www.clublexus.com/forums/pro...?do=ignorelist

I'll suggest the OP search the forum for keywords 'common problem' and 'common issue' and you'll get a lot of threads with similar content, even if their goal is for a new buyer seeking information vs an organized list effort (thanks).
Old 02-16-12, 07:34 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. I didn't even know we had a mod.

Quick Reply: Common Issues Of GX470 / What issues have you encountered?