GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Is ""DVD bypass" what *I think it is and where do I get it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-12, 01:30 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks man, too late for me now I guess. I ordered the DVD bypass and its already shipped, wasnt sure ID need or use the Nav bypass, and didnt like that it would have to be re engaged every few minutes either. Also, you mention only a $40 difference, I thought it was an additional $100?

Still deciding on which Ipod kit to get. Seems to me the Vaistech gives you the same as the USA- Spec only for more $$. Id like to find one that maybe splits off of the Sat radio without disabling it.
Old 03-11-12, 01:56 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Muti007
thanks man, too late for me now I guess. I ordered the DVD bypass and its already shipped, wasnt sure ID need or use the Nav bypass, and didnt like that it would have to be re engaged every few minutes either. Also, you mention only a $40 difference, I thought it was an additional $100?

Still deciding on which Ipod kit to get. Seems to me the Vaistech gives you the same as the USA- Spec only for more $$. Id like to find one that maybe splits off of the Sat radio without disabling it.
Why not call/email the vendor and see if they would upgrade your order (upon return of the original order)?
Old 03-12-12, 02:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i have done tons of vaistech ipod install, their products are very consistent and work very well. can't say about other brands, i have seen a lot of posts about them, pluses and minuses. vaistech doesn't take up the sat radio port

you can also consider prestigious society, they have some new ipod kits out. i actually just did a massive install recently with their ipod kits and also nav override, the whole package. result is pretty sick. pics and reviews to come very soon
Old 03-12-12, 03:32 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Hey, thanks Henry. I know for a fact Vaistech provides a high quality product. In defense of USA Spec, I believe they do too, its just the level of access to the Ipod, playlists, songs etc is severely compromised. I gave them a call on Friday and found their customer service to be extremely friendly and willing to help in any way they could. I will be taking my LS back to my installer and arranging a time when he and the chaps from USA can work together to see if there any dip switch settings that can be changed about to maybe give me a little more of what I was expecting.

That is my main concern before adding anything to my GX now, is that I have a full understanding of what the next kit I buy will and wont do as far as the GUI is concerned. From many of the vendors ads, pics and descriptions, it can be quite difficult to discern just exactly what you will and will not be able to do once installed. And so far my research hasnt turned up a heck of a lot more info either. I dont doubt at all that Vaistech makes a good product. What I still cant figure out and still dont know is will it give me more access to my lists, songs and overall folder structure than did the USA Spec. I still cant seem to get an answer to that question, thus my conundrum.
Old 03-12-12, 04:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Hey, thanks Henry. I know for a fact Vaistech provides a high quality product. In defense of USA Spec, I believe they do too, its just the level of access to the Ipod, playlists, songs etc is severely compromised. I gave them a call on Friday and found their customer service to be extremely friendly and willing to help in any way they could. I will be taking my LS back to my installer and arranging a time when he and the chaps from USA can work together to see if there any dip switch settings that can be changed about to maybe give me a little more of what I was expecting.

That is my main concern before adding anything to my GX now, is that I have a full understanding of what the next kit I buy will and wont do as far as the GUI is concerned. From many of the vendors ads, pics and descriptions, it can be quite difficult to discern just exactly what you will and will not be able to do once installed. And so far my research hasnt turned up a heck of a lot more info either. I dont doubt at all that Vaistech makes a good product. What I still cant figure out and still dont know is will it give me more access to my lists, songs and overall folder structure than did the USA Spec. I still cant seem to get an answer to that question, thus my conundrum.
if you are talking about the vaistech, say the most basic sl2i-up, you will be able to play songs off playlists, albums, artists, genre, audiobook, etc... and you can go into folder button and then see all the songs within the particular folder (meaning playlists, artists, etc...) and jump to that particular song. all those are fully available as long as you have gen5 system.

of course, if car is moving, you need to override your nav system to enable the menu, otherwise grayed out
Old 03-12-12, 04:28 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Now were talking!! These are the answers I cant seem to get anywhere.

One of my problems is Im as much a music nut as I am a car nut. I have a total of over 11k songs and maybe 40 or so playlists. So right now in my LS, all I can access are my first 6 or 7 playlists, the rest I have to access manually via the ipod itself and no information whatsoever is available on my nav screen for any of those playlists or songs. I am hoping I can remedy some of that with their customer service and my installer, but I fear that is how its designed to work. If thats the case, between the unit and installation, man did I waste a lot of time and $$. Mind you, the sound is great, but having no direct access to anything through the controls and display really makes it about 50% worthless. After going through much of my ML system with upgrades/replacing components, this was the last piece. So Im extremely disappointed as out of all 3 of my vehicles, my LS is my DD actually and really my favorite car.

So if Im reading you correctly, this shouldnt be the case with the sl2i-up? I should have full access to and be able to view all of my playlists, folders, song titles etc? IVe already ordered the Beat Sonic DVD bypass as they too are a vendor here so I heard of them from this site as well. Now I know this will override my DVD speed sensor/e brake sensor as well as allow full on screen bluetooth phone access on screen while on the moe, but now Im not certain if that would also allow the Vaistech to be used on the move if youre saying for that the Nav has to also be overriden.
Old 03-12-12, 04:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

the problem with your ls430 is it has the gen4 nav (i assume 04-06). for gx470 07-09, it has the gen5 system and that's the key to allow extended display which will allow you to literally browse through all the lists, not limited to the 6-7 you see on your ls430.

for your ls430 there is no way of changing it unfortunately, i believe that's more of a limitation of the navigation generation system. as you must be noticing, your 07 gx470 has much improved navigation screen and menus, that's result of new generation (gen5)
Old 03-12-12, 06:21 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Oh ok, that makes sense. Any idea if installing my Beat Sonic DVD bypass would allow the Vaistech Ipod hookup to function on the move? Oh, and my GX is an 07 so youre right, it has the newer Nav system and my LS the older.
Old 03-12-12, 06:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

operation of vaistech ipod on menu lists depends on the system being overriden (basically to enable all menus on the navigation system), if beat sonic system can do that then i don't see why not
Old 03-12-12, 06:28 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Hmm, I guess the only way to really know then is to try it unless someone else has and can chime in. Im still trying to figure out how Sid got the Beat Sonic with Nav override for only $40 more when its listed for an additional $100. IT seems I may need both but again, its hard to say for sure.

Damn this is irritating.
Old 03-12-12, 06:31 PM
BeatSonic
Sponsor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh ok, that makes sense. Any idea if installing my Beat Sonic DVD bypass would allow the Vaistech Ipod hookup to function on the move? Oh, and my GX is an 07 so youre right, it has the newer Nav system and my LS the older.
Yes, our DVD bypass will allow the Vaistech Ipod functions to work during vehicle motion. It will also allow bluetooth dialing in addition to the DVD and Vaistech/Ipod override. Since our DVD bypass is always active, you don't have to deal with any switches or buttons.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/
Old 03-12-12, 06:57 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Woo hoo!! Thanks guys!
Old 03-12-12, 07:26 PM
sidwin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the kit was $220 for both. if you buy just the dvd bypass the price was $180 so i said for $40 more why not. Definitely easier of the two to install and at that price it was a no brainer.
Old 03-13-12, 02:43 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by sidwin
the kit was $220 for both. if you buy just the dvd bypass the price was $180 so i said for $40 more why not. Definitely easier of the two to install and at that price it was a no brainer.
We must be talking about different kits then. The BS DVD bypass only is $125 so Im not sure which youre referring to

Thanks everyone for all of your help and advice, I think I know what to order now and have everything I want for the GX ordered and payed for now. Hopefully should all be here soon and installed.

Now, anyone know of a simple and relatively inexpensive way I can just unlock my phone on my LS? ALl it is running right now is the USA Spec Ipod kit and since its a cd changer and not a DVD changer, I really dont need anything else. But man I wish the phone wouldnt lock out on the move
Old 03-13-12, 02:47 PM
BeatSonic
Sponsor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

We must be talking about different kits then. The BS DVD bypass only is $125 so Im not sure which youre referring to

Thanks everyone for all of your help and advice, I think I know what to order now and have everything I want for the GX ordered and payed for now. Hopefully should all be here soon and installed.

Now, anyone know of a simple and relatively inexpensive way I can just unlock my phone on my LS? ALl it is running right now is the USA Spec Ipod kit and since its a cd changer and not a DVD changer, I really dont need anything else. But man I wish the phone wouldnt lock out on the move
Hi Multi, we have a module that will unlock the phone on your LS. Please tell me which year your LS 430 is, and I can recommend you the product.

Thanks!

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/

Quick Reply: Is ""DVD bypass" what *I think it is and where do I get it?