GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Anyone ever sell their 3rd row seats and regret it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-12, 02:31 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Anyone ever sell their 3rd row seats and regret it?

So Im debating selling my 3rd row seats. I know that I will never use them and if I do keep them, I will be pulling them and storing them at home. So I thought, maybe I should just sell them? Has anyone ever done that and regretted it? I dont mean regret as in you ended up needing the additional seating capacity, that will never be the case for me, but regretting as in does it effect resale value later? Does it make the car a lot harder to sell later? Any other things to consider if you do ditch them? Are they valuable even?
Old 02-02-12, 03:01 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Muti007
So Im debating selling my 3rd row seats. I know that I will never use them and if I do keep them, I will be pulling them and storing them at home. So I thought, maybe I should just sell them? Has anyone ever done that and regretted it? I dont mean regret as in you ended up needing the additional seating capacity, that will never be the case for me, but regretting as in does it effect resale value later? Does it make the car a lot harder to sell later? Any other things to consider if you do ditch them? Are they valuable even?
It will affect the resale value for sure.

When I custom-built my house 10 years ago I wanted to delete one bedroom from the floorplan and expand the others bigger the agent told me to NEVER do that because you will loose money when you sell your house. Just take it out and store it somewhere.
Old 02-02-12, 03:12 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will affect resale value, if you sell to someone that needs that extra seating. Mine are on a shelf in the basement. I will never use mine, but want to hold on to them.
Old 02-02-12, 03:33 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Ok, thanks fellas. Any idea how much they weigh? Im wondering if I may as well leave them in and down, and if theyre relatively light I may just do that. But if they weigh a somewhat substantial amount, Ill bring them inside to save the truck some weight.
Old 02-02-12, 03:43 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd say 60lbs total. Keep em. Mine r in storage as well. Single dude.
Old 02-02-12, 03:53 PM
Muti007
Advanced

^^^^ Thanks man. Single here as well. No wife or kids, 99.99999% of the time, Im the only one in any of my cars.
Old 02-02-12, 03:59 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

They have been In storage since the kids all got their own cars. I would not think of selling them, that 3rd row is part of the resale value.
Old 02-02-12, 04:25 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Any of you guys store them outside like in a shed, or are they all indoors and climate controlled? Im worried if I throw them in the shed, the temperature variances throughout the year, moisture etc may ruin them over time. I thought about wrapping them in trash basg then storing them but wasnt sure if that would be good enough or not.
Old 02-02-12, 04:54 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

Not going to last too long in the shed, even wrapped in plastic. Nor an attic. They are not that deep, so you could stand them up at the back of a closet, or end of a closet on the floor.
Old 02-02-12, 05:00 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

If you will never use, and have no adequate space to store them, I would agree with selling.

Yes, the resale value will be diminshed, but not by alot. Private party, it may take longer to sell, to find another looking who doesnt want the 3rd row, but I don't think it would be more then a few hundred value reduction -- not even 1% of the value of the car -- when you do find one. As a dealer trade, depending on what you are buying, it's gonna be negligable.

They are also fairly easy to find if you do change your mind or want to put them back in.
Old 02-02-12, 06:21 PM
LifeEnjoyr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna get rid of mines as well, I have not used them once and have probably around 4 people in my car MAX (including myself, lol).
If it does diminish any value, it'll be very minimal.
Old 02-02-12, 08:35 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by LifeEnjoyr
I'm gonna get rid of mines as well, I have not used them once and have probably around 4 people in my car MAX (including myself, lol).
If it does diminish any value, it'll be very minimal.
Id also guess if it does diminish value, it wouldnt be too much more than whatever they are worth if you were to sell them anyway. But the really important questions I guess are would it make it harder to sell in general and what are they worth in a private sale? To be honest, it seems 99% of owners have NEVER used them as every GX I looked at in person and online had 3rd row seats that clearly had never been used.
Old 02-03-12, 03:27 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting to see how many people have removed the third row seats. That was one of the first things I did when I got my GX, removed the third row seats. Rather have the storage space than the booster seats.
Old 01-19-13, 05:07 PM
henrylouis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed mine the first day I had the car. I was surprised how heavy they were. I am glad I am not driving around with the extra weight.
I will not sell because I think it will hurt the resale value.
Old 01-23-13, 10:22 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Question

Not trying to thread-jack but didn't want to start a new thread since this thread was resurrected recently after almost a year, but if your GX didn't originally come with 3rd Row Seats, (i.e. my 2004 I purchased used), do they have the harness/anchors for them if I purchased them?

Cheers,
Kermee

Quick Reply: Anyone ever sell their 3rd row seats and regret it?