GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Has anyone had a GX with AND without a rear spoiler? Trying to decide...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-12, 03:57 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Has anyone had a GX with AND without a rear spoiler? Trying to decide...

Trying to decide whether or or not I should pull the trigger and buy+install a factory rear spoiler on my silver GX. I love everything about it, *except* for that nagging anxiety about the fact that it doesn't have a rear spoiler. Sometimes I like the look, most of the times I don't. Lexus did a pretty good job designing the spoiler -- much better integrated than the wart on the rear of the 4runner.

My question is more about functionality of the spoiler. Does it truly keep the rear window cleaner like the marketing for the part says it does? Any drawbacks? Noise?

I'd love to hear from someone who has put some miles on a GX with and without the part. I'm hesitant to start drilling holes in my truck.

Or, somebody tell me they like the looks of them without the spoiler. Even if you're lying

Thanks,
Scott.
Old 01-22-12, 04:08 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Functional? Maybe.
Better looking with it? Yup.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...r-spoiler.html

Old 01-22-12, 04:24 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Well done, pointing me to my old post on the same subject.

Yes, I'm having trouble making up my mind on this one. Thanks for the pointers.
Old 01-22-12, 04:45 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No sense in making a rash decision!
Old 01-22-12, 05:24 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a must stiles. Follow your instincts. You know if a lexus genie could wink and put one on right now you'd no doubt make this wish.

Plus the fact that it comes painted by Toyota makes it a no brainer. the price for a painted oem part is amazing. esp comparing to anything from Tequipment. it would be my first mod if mine didn't have one.

gl
Old 01-22-12, 07:22 PM
Bob GX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned 2 GXs - one with the spoiler and the other without. Honestly can't say I could tell a difference with it keeping the rear window clear, noise etc. I prefer the no spoiler because I live in a snow area and it's a lot easier to remove snow from the roof without. (but the roof rack makes ssnow removal a chore, either way).

The rest is appearance and that's a personal preference - starting my 9th year 'without' and I like the way it looks just fine. But iIf you like the looks better 'with', why not get it set up the way you like?
Old 01-22-12, 07:50 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

it looks like a minivan without pls believe

Old 01-22-12, 07:57 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a silver 08 GX and have been going back and forth for about a year, on the same subject. I don't have a spoiler and it was hard to get use to it. I now have the bug again and bought one painted from "spoilercentral" on Ebay for about $150.00.

The difference is that most spoilers sold today, are ABS plastic. Installation is fairly simple, once you get past the fact that you have to drill (5) holes in the rear door. Two of the top two holes, go in the factory location where there are black plastic plugs on the inside. The other two holes are lower, and that was the rub for me. With any of the Ebay, internet spoilers, you don't get the painted plastic cap, that covers the original high brake light. The original brake light remains in position, but it is not illuminated anymore. I didn't want to see those holes when I opened the door.

The fiberglass factory type spoilers are available from Sewell. The have two top screws in the factory location and the other two bottom holes are snap lock connectors, so you don't see the bottom screw holes on the inside. The spoiler snaps on the bottom two connections, then you install the top two screws. You also get the cap, that covers the original brake light, which is removed. Painted and shipping, you are probably in the $500.00 dollar range.

I think the advantage of the spoiler is actually minimal, regarding keeping the back window clean. Probably more of a nuisance in areas where there is heavy snow. It boils down to looks. I personally like the look of the GX with the spoiler, less minivan appearance. At $150.00, I may or may not install it. Just got to get past drilling the holes in the paint.

Last edited by Ancient; 01-23-12 at 03:24 AM.
Old 01-22-12, 08:14 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a silver '04 without a spoiler. Does it look better with?...Yeah, it does. Does it look $500 and four or five drilled holes better?...Not yet.
Old 01-22-12, 09:34 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

I decided to go big or go home (kidding):

http://www.jcwhitney.com/thundertail...filterid=u0j1#

Tough call. I have an order queued up with Sewell for some front struts. Sure would be easy to just add the pre-painted spoiler... thanks for the opinions.
Old 01-23-12, 10:56 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ancient
I have a silver 08 GX and have been going back and forth for about a year, on the same subject. I don't have a spoiler and it was hard to get use to it. I now have the bug again and bought one painted from "spoilercentral" on Ebay for about $150.00.

The difference is that most spoilers sold today, are ABS plastic. Installation is fairly simple, once you get past the fact that you have to drill (5) holes in the rear door. Two of the top two holes, go in the factory location where there are black plastic plugs on the inside. The other two holes are lower, and that was the rub for me. With any of the Ebay, internet spoilers, you don't get the painted plastic cap, that covers the original high brake light. The original brake light remains in position, but it is not illuminated anymore. I didn't want to see those holes when I opened the door.

The fiberglass factory type spoilers are available from Sewell. The have two top screws in the factory location and the other two bottom holes are snap lock connectors, so you don't see the bottom screw holes on the inside. The spoiler snaps on the bottom two connections, then you install the top two screws. You also get the cap, that covers the original brake light, which is removed. Painted and shipping, you are probably in the $500.00 dollar range.

I think the advantage of the spoiler is actually minimal, regarding keeping the back window clean. Probably more of a nuisance in areas where there is heavy snow. It boils down to looks. I personally like the look of the GX with the spoiler, less minivan appearance. At $150.00, I may or may not install it. Just got to get past drilling the holes in the paint.
good bit of info here thx so much
Old 01-29-12, 04:11 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I really disliked the look of the GX without the spoiler..to me it appears odd with out it.

Here's my thread from way back when I added the spoiler.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...poiler-on.html
Old 01-29-12, 08:51 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received my spoiler last week from Spoilercentral. The paint is a perfect match, good finish, but the ends are dinged. They are sending me another one to replace the damaged one. About a year ago, I ordered another spoiler, from a different company, and it arrived damaged on the ends. They don't use enough foam on the ends when they ship. Any dropping or trowing of this lightweight box, ends up with dings on the corners. If I do decide to install, I will post pictures of the install.
Old 02-02-12, 10:08 AM
NC_GS4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ancient
I received my spoiler last week from Spoilercentral. The paint is a perfect match, good finish, but the ends are dinged. They are sending me another one to replace the damaged one. About a year ago, I ordered another spoiler, from a different company, and it arrived damaged on the ends. They don't use enough foam on the ends when they ship. Any dropping or trowing of this lightweight box, ends up with dings on the corners. If I do decide to install, I will post pictures of the install.
Did you find a cover for the existing third brake light or does anyone have a solution for this when adding a spoiler?

Thanks
Old 02-02-12, 10:53 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

This is why I was surprised that Toyota actually ships them out pre-painted. Typically, manufacturers just leave them in primer so they don't run into this issue with customers.

I'd always go with factory units especially when they actually price them fairly like this spoiler. I really appreciate the fact that vendors like Sewell offer OEM pieces at close to wholesale pricing.

I appreciate even more folks like Ancient who report back on their findings working with non-factory pieces. It's good to have options and with this economy, it's always nice to save a few bucks here and there.

Quick Reply: Has anyone had a GX with AND without a rear spoiler? Trying to decide...