GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Buying a high milage 09 vs. lower mileage 06/07

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-11, 05:57 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Buying a high milage 09 vs. lower mileage 06/07

I have an option to buy an almost perfect condition 09 with 87k miles for $28k. It is 1 owner and very well maintained.

Most cars that I've been looking at this price range are 06 or 07 with 60-70k miles and in not as perfect condition. They have same options as that 09.

If you had a choice between the two, which one would you pick? I plan on keeping the car for 5+ years and drive somewhere around 15-20k miles/ year. Which would be a better buy in the long run in terms of reliability and maintenance?

Thanks.
Old 12-21-11, 06:53 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

09 no doubt
Old 12-21-11, 07:47 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto ROK.
Old 12-21-11, 08:02 PM
CruiserGX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume it's a well maintained vehicle with highway mileage? If that's the case get it!!
Old 12-21-11, 08:11 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

That's not even a question - get an 09!!!
Old 12-21-11, 10:58 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The value (price) of the older but low mileage vehicle could be higher. When I did some research before buying a GX, I learned that 08 and above is the best choice due to the update on its (2006+) engine has higher output/transmission is 5 speed, dark metallic finish to the grille, navigation with voice command, ipod input, dark graphite finish on standard wheels, new chrome-like door handles and roof rack side rails, chrome-like finish trim on front door speakers, Brown Walnut as a new trim color option and Salsa Red Pearl (wife's truck) as new exterior color.
Old 12-22-11, 03:38 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

You guys make it so easy!
That's what I was leaning towards also and I needed expert opinion's like yours to make a decision instead of talking to my friends or family who don't know too much about GX.

The only very minor thing is that I really wanted Black/ivory, but this 09 is blizzard white/ivory. I think black is more "manly" color and has a nice depth and shine. My wife loves white though and it is going to be her car.
Old 12-22-11, 05:26 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

I have owned (3) black cars in a row, over the last (18) years. Black takes a lot of work with swirl marks, never taking it through a car wash, acid rain, etc. I spent hours, making it look like a mirror. There is nothing like a freshly waxed black car, but it only lasts for a few minutes or hours, especially in our climate. Fabric softener on towels, blurs the finish on black.

That is why I went to silver with my GX. Do I regret it, yes, Titianum silver looks good, but not as good as black. However, I know have so much time on my hands, I am take up needlepoint, or watch trees grow. White is cool too. White, or Blizzard Pearl, really looks clean. It looks cleaner, longer.
Old 12-22-11, 05:58 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Matsui
You guys make it so easy!
That's what I was leaning towards also and I needed expert opinion's like yours to make a decision instead of talking to my friends or family who don't know too much about GX.

The only very minor thing is that I really wanted Black/ivory, but this 09 is blizzard white/ivory. I think black is more "manly" color and has a nice depth and shine. My wife loves white though and it is going to be her car.
To me it is opposite on the color. That Blizzard Pearl is soooooooooooo beautiful. That is EXACTLY the color combination in the GX I am looking for right now.

Can you ask the dealer to throw in the 90k service? It will cost roughly between $1000-$1500.

Good luck.
Old 12-22-11, 09:12 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ancient
I have owned (3) black cars in a row, over the last (18) years. Black takes a lot of work with swirl marks, never taking it through a car wash, acid rain, etc. I spent hours, making it look like a mirror. There is nothing like a freshly waxed black car, but it only lasts for a few minutes or hours, especially in our climate. Fabric softener on towels, blurs the finish on black.

That is why I went to silver with my GX. Do I regret it, yes, Titianum silver looks good, but not as good as black. However, I know have so much time on my hands, I am take up needlepoint, or watch trees grow. White is cool too. White, or Blizzard Pearl, really looks clean. It looks cleaner, longer.
I own a black car too, and you're right that they need extra attention in keeping them clean. But I really love it when they are clean and shiny - no other color compares to that.
Old 12-22-11, 09:13 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
To me it is opposite on the color. That Blizzard Pearl is soooooooooooo beautiful. That is EXACTLY the color combination in the GX I am looking for right now.

Can you ask the dealer to throw in the 90k service? It will cost roughly between $1000-$1500.

Good luck.
The "Blizzard Pearl" is one of the better whites I've seen on any car. So I'm pritty happy with that.

I did ask them to throw in 90k service and they agreed.
Old 12-22-11, 10:52 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

I think the whole black car high maintenance thing is overhyped. Sure you see the dust, but to 99% of the public seeing your car, it looks clean for a long time. Swirls do show, but again, this is a utility vehicle. No one's expecting you to baby it as in swirl free. No car is this way unless it belongs in a museum.

gl
Old 12-23-11, 11:45 AM
cobra2top
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Although I like the newer navi in the 09, I would recommend the lowest miles as the first choice. If I had the option of a 06 with 40k and a 09 with 90k for similar money, I'd have to go with the 06. Realistically they a basically the same trucks. Also you have to think how are you going to use the truck. If your going to drive it alot, then before you know it you are going to have 150k miles on it. Now we all here know that is still a non issue, you have to think about your resale to the next buyer. Would you buy a 09 with 150k or a 06 with 100k if you put 60k on it over the next few years?

Just wanted to play a little devils advocate on this. My buddy loved our GX so much he bought his own with 70k on the clock 2 years ago. He drives alot and now has 130k and just had to replace a front wheel bearing for $1000. Ours just rolled 90k and yet to have any wear issues like that. Just be ready for some wear and tear issues to come up that a lower mile truck would not have as quickly.
Old 12-23-11, 01:03 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Don't see your logic with the wheel bearings. That's a wear that may or may not need replacement in the life of the vehicle - an anecdote.

Op states the 09 is well maintained and 2-3 yrs younger. It'll have the better looking interior and the updated rear lamp too.

Again 09 all day.
Old 12-23-11, 05:59 PM
cobra2top
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ROK, my point on the wheel bearing is that I assume with more miles comes more wear. Bearings are a wear item, so a truck with more miles I would think would need those wear items replaced sooner then a lower mile truck.

All I am saying is give it some serious thought. If a better looking interior is more important then miles, get the interior and updated navi. For me, lower miles would be higher on my list then darker wood and chrome trim. Sure the navi is nicer looking but my 05 navi gets the job done, it take me to where I want to go the few times I actually use the navi a month.

Quick Reply: Buying a high milage 09 vs. lower mileage 06/07