GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

More Leg Room needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-11, 12:27 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More Leg Room needed

I am 6 feet tall. With the seat all the back, and lower, (which is the furthest point to the rear), my right leg is bent and rests partially on the center console touching the gas pedal. I can't extend my right leg, for more comfort on long trips. You have enough head room in the GX to be 6 foot 6 and wear a hat, but not the leg room. Obviously, I can see cruise control and move my right leg around, but can never fully extend it.

Asked the Lexus dealer when I bought it, if they could do something to get the front seat back further, they didn't have a way to do it.

Sometimes there are multiple holes in the two bottom seat rails, which bolt through the floor. We used to be able to unbolt the rails and move the seat back a hole or two. Don't want to fiddle with the controversial electronic gas pedal.

There has to be someone out there in the GX world, that has dealt with this situation, other than having their legs shortened?
Old 12-13-11, 06:56 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try more elevated position. You have the headroom, so go up. That should allow you to extend your legs more. I'm 6-1 and found slightly elevated position to be most comfortable, as it was more chair like.
Old 12-13-11, 11:27 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Thanks gsobol, I was begining to think all GX470 owners were vertically challenged and leg room wasn't a problem.
Old 12-13-11, 11:53 AM
BrentGX470
Driver School Candidate

I'm 6'2", with 34" inseam. Removing the dead pedal made a huge difference in comfort. The right leg may still be a problem, but as mentioned, raise the seat height.
The following users liked this post:
lunchbox17 (12-20-20)
Old 04-06-12, 08:35 PM
atokad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ancient
I am 6 feet tall. With the seat all the back, and lower, (which is the furthest point to the rear), my right leg is bent and rests partially on the center console touching the gas pedal. I can't extend my right leg, for more comfort on long trips. You have enough head room in the GX to be 6 foot 6 and wear a hat, but not the leg room. Obviously, I can see cruise control and move my right leg around, but can never fully extend it.

Asked the Lexus dealer when I bought it, if they could do something to get the front seat back further, they didn't have a way to do it.

Sometimes there are multiple holes in the two bottom seat rails, which bolt through the floor. We used to be able to unbolt the rails and move the seat back a hole or two. Don't want to fiddle with the controversial electronic gas pedal.

There has to be someone out there in the GX world, that has dealt with this situation, other than having their legs shortened?
You ever come up with a solution? I just got and 07 and am feeling quite cramped for leg room too.

I am thinking of finding a local specialty shop that could maybe make rails, or have the seat foam altered in some way.
The following users liked this post:
lunchbox17 (12-20-20)
Old 04-07-12, 07:56 AM
BlairC
Pole Position

i am 6'1'' and have no issues. egronomically the GX is a truck. it is designed for you to be higher and closer. your seated position is going to be more like sitting in a dinner chair than seated in a car with your feet forward. I think if you go higher and closer you will find it to be much more comfortable.

seating position is actually one of the reasons i bought the GX. i like sitting higher.
Old 04-08-12, 06:34 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BlairC
i am 6'1'' and have no issues. egronomically the GX is a truck. it is designed for you to be higher and closer. your seated position is going to be more like sitting in a dinner chair than seated in a car with your feet forward. I think if you go higher and closer you will find it to be much more comfortable.

seating position is actually one of the reasons i bought the GX. i like sitting higher.
I'm 5'9", or what Ancient referred to a vertically challenged GX470 owner.

I find GX driver's seat a lot more comfortable than in 4Runner - it is more articulated and it seems that it has a greater range of adjustments. It definitely allows for a higher seating position (both are set to the highest setting). As an added bonus both provide a commanding view of the road...