GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

So I'm going on my first club sponsored trail ride and need preperation help!

Old 12-08-11, 08:26 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So I'm going on my first club sponsored trail ride and need preperation help!

So, the gx is a completely capable offroad. That's what I keep telling my wife, and I intend to prove it to her.

There's this Christmas trail ride with the local 4x4 club coming up on Dec 18. I'm not certain of the trails I'll encounter so I'm trying to prepare as best I can. I've been scouring craigslist and ebay for a nice cheap set of wheels and MT's or AT's.

I've realized that chevy,toyota,and nissan all have the same bolt pattern, I'm just curious about hub size and offsets because I've found a few stock sets with mud tires or AT's already on em.

The best ones I can see are some Nissan Titan wheels with some Dueller AT's 265/70/17 for only $200.

There are also some 07 up chevy wheels that have open country AT's mounted (size unknown) for $300.

Or I could buy a set of chevy wheels for 50 bucks and then source some used MT's somewhere but I only have 10 days. What do you guys suggest? Keep in mind, I'm just trying to get my wife interested in using her vehicle how it was inteded and am not looking to spend anymore than I have to.

Also, would a 2 inch spacer lift up front and tricked height sensor be that beneficial to me or should I just fit the biggest tires at stock height I can and wing it?
Old 12-08-11, 10:05 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

wait....16's wont fit will they? That sucks.

Last edited by 06isDriver; 12-08-11 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-08-11, 01:08 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

They dont give you any indication of the type of trails? You really need that info - I have done a few smaller trails with my Latitudes and there was no issue. If there won't be any mud or big rocks, I bet you could get by with whatever are on there now...
Old 12-08-11, 01:34 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.myspace.com/video/lance/l...l-ride/9350551

eeek!!!
Old 12-09-11, 06:35 AM
Drew903
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do this you really need to video it! Might also want to call your body guy and make an appointment for December 20th :-)
Old 12-09-11, 07:12 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

uhhhh, yeah......so, as soon I showed some of these videos to my wife she ran out of the room screaming, "NO NO NO NO!!!!". She isnt oppoesed to it, she just wants it to have the right parts, which I admire.

Looks like we'll have to wait until I can modify the GX to reduce the risk of injury.
Old 12-09-11, 08:24 AM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
Looks like we'll have to wait until I can modify the GX to reduce the risk of injury.
06isDriver, this is the most sensible thing you've said so far.

Adding AT or MT tires will not be enough to tackle the trail in the video.

You will need to lift your rig to allow for greater wheel travel and articulation, you will definitely need sliders, full set of skid plates, and attachment points for recovery straps. Also you may want to consider the custom bumpers, and a winch in the front.

Otherwise, you are good to go!!!!
Old 12-09-11, 08:52 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

yeah....only 4-5k $ in necessary parts and I'm good to go!!! simple.....
Old 12-09-11, 09:03 AM
snhrph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
yeah....only 4-5k $ in necessary parts and I'm good to go!!! simple.....
That, and 6 to 8 weeks of waiting time for the parts. Plus installation...

Right now your rig is definitely capable of tackling any "green", and possibly some "blue" trails.
Old 12-12-11, 10:13 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For $5K you can just by an old 4 runner with the mods already on there. keep the beauty at hoome.
Old 12-14-11, 07:59 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

nah, I bought the GX470 for its luxury and off-road prowess. I've always believed in using the machine for what its was intended. Lexus wouldnt have put a bevy of offroad goodies on the truck if they didnt intend for it to be used.

Anyway, I've gotten a tacit agreement from my wife about a trail ride camping trip combo sometime in April in a nice little 4x4 park 2 hours north of us. It's called the Catahoula Recreation park and it allows all forms of offroading. It has some wide open spaces with little obstacles as well as novice to expert trails.

check out the pics http://www.atvdirtbikerecreation.com...2011/index.htm

We'll be staying out there for 1 night at least and 2 days of riding our trucks and atv's. Here's a list I've compiled that I'll need to get cranking on. 4.5 months isnt that much time:

must haves:

used 17" wheels and some 33" MT's
skid plates
rock sliders
roof rack
suv tent
portable generator
8-9k lb winch w/winch mount (could be tricky, but will probably just take the front bumper off and make something minimal)
2 inch front spacer lift
tricked height sensors in the rear

wish list:

exhaust and intake
portable solar shower

Whatcha think? I think it's doable, especially since I shouldnt have to wait for parts too long. I took a look at some pics of the TrailLex and the custom winch mount/bumper they made and I'm pretty sure I can replicate it.

Anything I'm leaving out?
Old 12-14-11, 11:26 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

Ha...What is your budget?
Old 12-14-11, 12:35 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

budget is small, but I have a stout welding machine and plenty of steel

I plan on making all of the steel tube parts: roof rack, rock sliders and front winch mount. I'll have to buy the wheels and tires as well as some sort of generator and spacer lift. I think this could all get done with a reasonable 1500 in parts + untold amount of labor.

This is a big reason why I'm waiting til April too.....everything takes money and despite my best efforts I still cant get my job to pay me in a yearly fashion. i still have to wait each month.....for my meager allowance!
Old 12-14-11, 05:25 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kphu
For $5K you can just by an old 4 runner with the mods already on there. keep the beauty at hoome.
Not sure where you've been looking, but for $5K you may get a Ford Exploder, definitely NOT a 4Runner. A modded 4Runner is WAAAAAAAAAAY above $5K...

You may be able to get a rolling body or a rig that needs a complete restore...
Old 12-14-11, 06:27 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

I admire your plan, but if it was me on that budget for a daily driver, I would leave the suspension alone until you have the cash to have it fixed if you mess it up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So I'm going on my first club sponsored trail ride and need preperation help!