GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Poor Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-11, 01:23 PM
robo02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Gas Mileage

I have a 2005 GX, 40,000 miles, first time out of town in a few years and amazed at gas mileage,less than 15 MPG. Have owned car since new, just not driven much, also 75 MPH turning 2300 RPM. Any ideas? Yes in correct gear.
Old 12-07-11, 02:26 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

normal range dude read the EPA ratings
Old 12-07-11, 05:50 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2008, with about 60,000 miles. Strickly freeway only, if I keep it at 2000 rpm, I can get 20 to 21 mpg. that may be 65 mph.

At 75 mph and higher rpm, It will drop to 18.5 to 19. Our freeways are fairly flat in Ohio. We are talking freeway only, no city. Drive as if there is an egg between my foot and the gas pedal. Old man type driving. Oh wait, I am old.

I run 34/ 35 psi in all tires, not 32. These are stock, not oversized tires. Tire pressure is one of the most important factors. Low tire pressure, you could loose 1 mpg or more.

Use synthetic oil, Mobil One. Maybe .1 or .3 mpg I run 93 octane, not regular.

Running air condtioning could loose you a couple of tenths. Running with sun roof open, or worse yet windows open, couple of tenths. Our trucks have the aerodynamics of a brick, especially at 75 mph. With windows open and at 75, aerodynamics of two bricks.

Dirty air filter or injectors, couple of tenths.
Old 12-08-11, 06:02 AM
robo02
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Ancient, ROC your reply was useless,I am in Florida, interstate doesn't get much flatter, cruise set, 14.7 MPG is not right, I also own a 2011 GX, 22 MPG same conditions just decided to drive this one yesterday and was surprised 250 mile range.
Old 12-08-11, 06:41 AM
ELEX470
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same exact problem with 2005 45 k miles get 250 miles on full tank use to be 300 miles
I think it is injectors or maybe gas filter anyone solved this problem?
Old 12-08-11, 06:55 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ancient
Oh wait, I am old.
LOL! Is that why you named yourself "Ancient"?
Old 12-08-11, 07:35 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

redrocks, yes I am older than some of the dirt, out in my yard. I have been in love with the automobile for a long time. Have done a few ground up restorations. If the vehicel had wheels, I raced it in some form. Enough experience, to get myself in trouble. I don't know have the technically skills specifically with this truck, Yet! The information provided by Mann77 and many others is really solid, accurate information. If these forums existed in the 60's, some of the cars like the Chevy Covair, and Ford Pinto (rear end gas tank explosions), would have fallen by the wayside much sooner. Not to mention Firestone 500 tires, which have been a problem and safety hazzard twice. The Ford Pinto, actually came with Firestone 500 tires. I am humbled to be a part of the forum. Thanks for asking.
Old 12-08-11, 07:43 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

car is old with very little milage...i would dump some chevron techron down its throat a fews times or redline or amsoils fuel system cleaners...fuel filter is non servicable, located in the gas tank...self cleaning whatever that means....
Old 12-08-11, 10:56 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by robo02
Thanks Ancient, ROC your reply was useless,I am in Florida, interstate doesn't get much flatter, cruise set, 14.7 MPG is not right, I also own a 2011 GX, 22 MPG same conditions just decided to drive this one yesterday and was surprised 250 mile range.
you guys are not doing the right math if you think your GX470 is getting 22mpg.

i don't know how some come up with their numbers, but what's on the window sticker is on the window sticker. i've put 40K miles on my previous 4runner v8 (same engine/tranny) and now with a few thou with the gx, they're all pretty much in that 15-16mpg mixed ballpark. my real life mpg is 14mpg, but i've always run bigger, wider, heavier AT tires.

smh
Old 12-09-11, 09:21 AM
snhrph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ancient
I have a 2008, with about 60,000 miles. Strickly freeway only, if I keep it at 2000 rpm, I can get 20 to 21 mpg. that may be 65 mph.

At 75 mph and higher rpm, It will drop to 18.5 to 19. Our freeways are fairly flat in Ohio. We are talking freeway only, no city. Drive as if there is an egg between my foot and the gas pedal. Old man type driving. Oh wait, I am old.

I run 34/ 35 psi in all tires, not 32. These are stock, not oversized tires. Tire pressure is one of the most important factors. Low tire pressure, you could loose 1 mpg or more.

Use synthetic oil, Mobil One. Maybe .1 or .3 mpg I run 93 octane, not regular.

Running air condtioning could loose you a couple of tenths. Running with sun roof open, or worse yet windows open, couple of tenths. Our trucks have the aerodynamics of a brick, especially at 75 mph. With windows open and at 75, aerodynamics of two bricks.

Dirty air filter or injectors, couple of tenths.
Ancient, you nailed it right on.

Only one thing to add, robo02 and Ancient, where do you get your MPG numbers? I hope its not from on board computer. Do the pen-and-paper calculations for a correct figure. The OBC is typically about 10% too optimistic.

I get between 15.2 and 15.5 mpg in combined city-highway driving. On long highway drives I attained mileage close to 20 mpg.
Old 12-09-11, 12:14 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

I tried to clarify, turnpike only. Filled up at a gas station about 500 feet from the turnpike ramp. I went on a 500 mile trip. I got more than 400 miles on one tank of gas (actualy about 430 and wan't empty) . I know we are lucky to get 300 miles out of a tank of gas with out trucks. Under absolute ideal conditions, the GX can get more than 20 miles per gallon. I usually find a high semi, that likes to go 65 mph and duct in behind about 5 car lengths +/-. Once you get above that 2000 rpm, it starts eating gas.

I know what is says on the window sticker for max GX mpg highway. But the government guidelines for the top mileage ratings are not ideal conditions. They have a formula, just like city mileage, but it is not under ideal conditions. I had a Jeep Hemi, and it said the same on the window sticker, regarding highway mileage, but pumping up the tires, synth oil in every moving part, and keeping the speed about 65, it was not uncommon under ideal conditions, to get 21, paper calculated not computer. Yes, I am living on earth. Mileage varies on other planets (differnt gravity).
Old 12-09-11, 01:23 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

One more note. Don't want to get into the battle of whether or not to run 93 octane in the GX. I choose to do this, because it says that on the door to the gas cap. Gas in my area, is about $3.10 a gallon for regular, about $3.28 for high test. I have ran regular when 93 was about $4.00 a gallon. Not much difference in mileage between the two, more power related, but i said I did not want to get into that debait.

However, alcohol/ ethanol in the gas, takes mileage way way down. Some states have more of this than others.
Old 12-09-11, 08:29 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Unfortunately, all gasoline sold in NJ is "gasohol".

I switched to regular gas as well and while my gas mileage when down a little bit, it did not go down enough to justify paying extra for higher octane rating.
Old 10-24-12, 11:32 PM
guccigucci
Rookie

Originally Posted by snhrph
Ancient, you nailed it right on.

Only one thing to add, robo02 and Ancient, where do you get your MPG numbers? I hope its not from on board computer. Do the pen-and-paper calculations for a correct figure. The OBC is typically about 10% too optimistic.

I get between 15.2 and 15.5 mpg in combined city-highway driving. On long highway drives I attained mileage close to 20 mpg.
Excellent information and comments, this is my first week driving the GX, i have changed my driving style ever since i got this baby a week ago...old man driving style...

Anyways, i always use LOW fan in climate or even OFF and yes windows rolled up and whenever i see a potential yellow light I SHIFT TO "N" and let the car roll to the light...but is that a bad thing??

I am trying to get my car to atleast 300 miles per tank of gas without setting off the gas light...

I will adjust the tire pressure tomorrow to 34.
Old 10-25-12, 07:53 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by guccigucci
and whenever i see a potential yellow light I SHIFT TO "N" and let the car roll to the light...but is that a bad thing??
I wouldnt keep doing that. The wear and tear on your trans isnt worth the .05mpg you might be saving, and I doubt its even that high. What would you rather do, spend a few cents more on gas or money on a new trans down the road from wear and tear?

I drive strictly city and only get 11-13mpg, I never let the gas light come on. I took a trip this past week to Anna Maria Island and did some highway driving and I finally got over 300 miles to the tank!! Around town I get 240-260 per tank.

I tried driving old man style, babied the throttle, never going over 3K PRM and I get the same gas mileage as I do w/ my AC on full blast and drive it like I stole it. Within the past 6 months Ive replaced both upstream o2 sensors, Mobil 1 synthetics (the previous owner used as well), Toyota flushed the fuel system and did a 4 wheel alignment, new OEM air filter, cleaned the MAF / throttle body and A/T tires are at 35 PSI all around. Theres nothing else left to do, so Ive given up on getting better MPGs and just enjoy the GX.

Quick Reply: Poor Gas Mileage