GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Traded the MDX for a GX and very happy!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-11, 08:43 AM
mntackle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traded the MDX for a GX and very happy!

Hello All,

I just traded our (my wife's) 2006 Acura MDX with 68k for a 2008 GX 470 with 30k and couldn't be happier so far! The GX is a step above the MDX in just about every way! I have a few quick questions for anyone that is kind enough to help out.

1) Since I did not buy the GX from a Lexus dealership (Toyota dealer) I was wondering if I should take it there and have it check over for any factory recalls since its still under warranty. If so, what should I have them check?

2) Is there a trick to the memory seat buttons? I can't seem to get them to do anything?!

3) Why the heck does a 2008 luxury vehicle have a tape deck???

4) I have a horrible creak/squeak in the front passenger seat. Anyone else experience this? It doesn't happen all the time but when it does you can't even drown it out with the radio!

5) What are some of the best mods/upgrades you have made to your GX??

Thanks in advance for your help and information!

MNtackle
Old 12-07-11, 09:35 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Put some aftermarket 18s and bigger at tires on it to mitigate the soccer mom aesthetic.
Old 12-07-11, 10:06 AM
z0lt3c
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've found that the memory seat recall only seems to work when the vehicle is in park. Program by holding the set button plus the 1 or 2 seat recall button.

I'm using a Grom Bluetooth/Ipod adapter in place of the factory CD changer. By far the best upgrade I've made.

if the vehicle is under warranty it probably wouldn't hurt to have your servicing dealer perform a basic inspection however I would expect any Toyota dealer to be able to accurately asses the condition of the car. Many people here have their GX's services @ toyota dealers because they tend to be cheaper then lexus.

Other upgrades I suggest; front window tint, wider armrest modification, HID external lighting upgrades, LED internal lighting upgrades, all weather mats, tow hitch.
Old 12-07-11, 11:15 AM
mntackle
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys.
The window tint is already scheduled. I will not be forking out more money for new rims and tires at this point. (at least not until the new tires that it came with need replacing)
My GX came with an aux port for plugging in an ipod or whatever so I don't think I need the Grom adapter. I would like to get a hitch so I can haul the boat instead of always using the truck. Where would be the best place to get that?
Also, it seems that many of the GX owners are going with the HID upgrades. I thought the lights were quite good stock however having brighter lights is always better. (especially with all the deer around here) What would it roughly cost to buy both headlights and fog light kits? Is the install fairly simple?
Thanks again!
Old 12-07-11, 12:09 PM
mntackle
Driver School Candidate

Here are a few pictures of our 2008 GX 470. Its quite dirty because the roads have been a mess!
Attached Thumbnails Traded the MDX for a GX and very happy!-imag0251.jpg   Traded the MDX for a GX and very happy!-imag0255.jpg   Traded the MDX for a GX and very happy!-imag0257.jpg  
Old 12-07-11, 07:18 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mntackle
Here are a few pictures of our 2008 GX 470. Its quite dirty because the roads have been a mess!
Nice ride and one of the rarest colors(at least in Massachusetts). Hell yeah Lexus GX beats the Acura MDX in every way. Have you checked your wheels for the common corrosion issues, especially where there is snow? Now would be the time to have the dealer replace them if needed. Also search the "clunk fix" to make sure its not an issue with your GX. Good luck and check back often as this site has the most intuitive members around.
Old 12-08-11, 04:18 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Congradualtions and welcome to the group. I am a new member also. However, I have been following the posts for sometime. Don't know if we have a page or thread, that lists all of the common problems, TSB's, etc? In other words, a page that new bees can go to, to see all of the most common problems, listed on one page, with the links to those threads. I don't have the experience, to create such a page. If it doesn't exist already???
Old 12-08-11, 04:37 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL, snow in MN. What better ride than the GX for snow? Did you have any problems with the MDX in snow? A neighbor down the street owns a MDX and got stuck at the end of her driveway, after getting about 8 inches of snow here. It looked like the MDX didn't have the option to lock all four wheels.
Old 12-08-11, 04:19 PM
CruiserGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ancient
Congradualtions and welcome to the group. I am a new member also. However, I have been following the posts for sometime. Don't know if we have a page or thread, that lists all of the common problems, TSB's, etc? In other words, a page that new bees can go to, to see all of the most common problems, listed on one page, with the links to those threads. I don't have the experience, to create such a page. If it doesn't exist already???
You asked and you shall receive:

http://www.lexustsb.com/categories/Lexus+GX470/
Old 12-09-11, 03:37 PM
mntackle
Driver School Candidate

wow! awesome. thanks for the info!
Also, can anyone tell me if there is a switch/button that I am missing to turn all the interior lights on without opening the door? With kids I can't tell you how many times I have needed to turn on the lights for them. Every vehicle I have ever owned has it but somehow I can't find it on the Lexus!?
Old 12-09-11, 04:44 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

Should have one, I haven't found it. Over the console is the two plastic buttons that you obviously push. Reach behind you, in the middle, that slide switch turns on the middle light over the two passenger seats. Back light only comes on with the barn door.
Old 12-09-11, 07:52 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the interior lights, there is a wheel that brightens/dims the dashboard lights by your left knee - if you turn that all the way up, it will turn on the interior lights.
Old 12-11-11, 09:53 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Weird, I have a 2008 model and when I roll that thumb wheel and make a click, my interior lights don't come on, but dash board lights are very bright. Maybe I have a bad dash switch. I went and looked in my truck, before answering your question.
Old 12-11-11, 11:57 AM
AlexusES50
Driver

Congrats, i just did the sale thing, traded in 2004 MDXfor 2007 GX470, it was my wifes birthday gift...2 days in and i love this truck, can't wait for spring to get some rims on it :-)...enjoy your ride...
Old 12-26-11, 04:45 PM
kalcris
Rookie

Welcome to the GX family. I bought the same color 08 in August, just had the clunk fixed along with a few other minor warranty items. Have to work on the rims next. you can check to service history on the lexus website under owners.

Thanks the KPHU, who should be lurking around here, I bought the Zaino products. It looked awesome when I did it. still looks good 4 months later. I'll post a picture if I can find out how.