GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension to Standard Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-11, 08:21 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Air Suspension to Standard Conversion?

Hi all,

Lately I've been having some issues with my rear suspension bottoming out over bumps it used to glide over. Occasionally, the rear won't inflate the way it's supposed to either, so I did some research and just about died when I found out what replacements costs are for any of the air suspension parts. At first, I was thinking of trading the car for a three years or more newer Tacoma, because I need the cargo area and they seem to be pretty good trucks. I absolutely don't want a car payment at this time. Anyway, While I was reserching the rear suspension issues, I came across this:

http://www.strutmasters.com/Lexus-GX.../-gx470-r1.htm

Anyone here tried this conversion? if so, how well did the conversion go and how is the ride?

Thanks,
Old 11-27-11, 08:38 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

how long do our air suspensions last typically?

anyways, doing this kind of band aid mod will absolutely kill resale value since the air suspension is tied to the height electronics, ride settings, etc. people want them in a lexus. i like the 4runner because it's way simpler (ie no air bags)

Last edited by ROK; 11-27-11 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-28-11, 05:48 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, is this not covered under Basic or CPO Warranty?
Old 11-28-11, 02:05 PM
BlairC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like it might just be a sensor if it happened suddenly. also, if you decide to move forward with a conversion, i would not go with the kit you posted. there are better options out there that use OEM toyota, OME or bilstein parts.
Old 11-28-11, 08:12 PM
CruiserGX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When mine die I will go for the conversion like Dan did, it's a lot cheaper than buying new shocks and air bags. http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-t...ml#post7113376
Old 11-29-11, 05:47 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by ROK
how long do our air suspensions last typically?

anyways, doing this kind of band aid mod will absolutely kill resale value since the air suspension is tied to the height electronics, ride settings, etc. people want them in a lexus. i like the 4runner because it's way simpler (ie no air bags)
Honestly, I'm not sure any GX with over 100K on it is worth anything. Seems the 4Runner holds its value better at that point. The suspension isn't officially dead yet, but I am seeing signs that some trouble may be ahead and with the AZ heat, the airbags do dry out faster than some of the more mild/wetter climates. It's bough to tell which way to go on this one!
Old 11-29-11, 05:48 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by CruiserGX
When mine die I will go for the conversion like Dan did, it's a lot cheaper than buying new shocks and air bags. http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-t...ml#post7113376
I like the look. Definitely not much for resale value there, but it does look like a beast demanding respect.
Old 11-29-11, 06:38 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

rj4510,

So does the suspension problem last for a day or two? Or is it for a shorter period of time and resume to normal after a period of driving around?
Old 11-29-11, 07:59 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by redrocks
rj4510,

So does the suspension problem last for a day or two? Or is it for a shorter period of time and resume to normal after a period of driving around?
It's an intermittent problem and usually resolves itself after a few days. I've been told it may be the sensor, and I could definitely fix that easily enough. One issue that concerns me most is that ride control is nowhere as good a it used to be, which suggests worn shocks. Looking at things under the car,I see some early signs of wear on the air bags. They are not too bad yet, but something to keep in mind. They will likely pop if they get too dry. Not sure how long they are supposed last, but they will be something I will have to address at some point.

Last edited by rj4510; 11-30-11 at 04:59 AM.
Old 11-29-11, 09:11 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rj4510
It's an intermittent problem and usually resolves itself after a few days. I've been told it may be the sensor, and I could definitely fix that easily enough. One issue that concerns me most is that ride control is nowhere is good a it used to be, which suggests worn shocks. Looking at things under the car,I see some early signs of wear on the air bags. They are not to bad yet, but something to keep in mind. They will likely pop if they get too dry. Not sure how long they are supposed last, but they will be something I will have to address at some point.

Any idea what part # is the "sensor"? cost $$?
Old 11-29-11, 09:53 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by redrocks
Any idea what part # is the "sensor"? cost $$?
The dealer had quoted me $500. Never pursued the part, because ever time it does it,I throw a couple of bags of rock salt in the back and it straightens out for a while.
Old 11-29-11, 09:21 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a theory

Our trucks are pretty sensitive to rear ride height relative to the bump stops. We should be just high enough to rarely touch the bump stops, while low enough to avoid making the rear air springs too stiff and thus too harsh.

As the rear shocks age, their ability to dampen rear body movement, and keep the truck off of the bump stops, declines. So, with no change in rear ride height, the truck will hit the bump stops more frequently as it ages.

Our rear height sensors and height adjustment varies over a fairly wide range. My guess is the range is roughly .5" to 1" on either side.

One of the reasons people have good luck restoring their ride by cycling their rear ride height (full low to full high to normal) is it gives the sensors a chance to "equalize" things, and likely gets it a bit farther off of the bump stops.

Net: if your rear ride height is within spec, then your issue may be more with rear shocks than with the height sensors.

My version of "within spec" is the ability to get my thumb between the bump stop and the axle when the height is set to "low". Highly scientific.

Oh, and I tried adjusting my rear ride height to restore a better ride, but finally gave up and solved the issue the "right" way with some new factory rear shocks.

All at ~60k miles, fwiw.
Old 11-29-11, 09:32 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

stiles, by chance r u a software engineer at MSFT?

where did u source the shocks and how much was it to install? my 07 with 80K miles rides fine for now.
Old 11-29-11, 10:36 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
stiles, by chance r u a software engineer at MSFT?

where did u source the shocks and how much was it to install? my 07 with 80K miles rides fine for now.
I know better than to admit anything like that on the internet

I bought them from sewell lexus online parts, with the club lexus member discount. They're big $$ for shocks, but the club lexus takes the sting off a bit.

The install was <20min per side in my garage with a floor jack and simple tools.

The fronts now feel a little soft, so I'm probably going to buy them and have them installed before long.
Old 11-30-11, 03:24 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stiles_s
I have a theory

All at ~60k miles, fwiw.
Great theory, but should shocks really need to be replace at ~60k miles for everyday street driving?

Quick Reply: Air Suspension to Standard Conversion?