GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension to Standard Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-11, 09:07 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weird thing this morning, raining here in chicago. The suspension feels like new again?! What does moisture have to do with this bottoming out? I think i may be going crazy now.
Old 12-15-11, 05:09 PM
N305AS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to know why the bottoming-out sensation is noticeably worse with a nearly-empty (1/4 tank or less) gas tank than a full one. As a matter of fact, it's considerably better with a totally full tank for some reason, which is counterintuitive - you'd think there'd be less travel to the bump stops with an empty tank since there's less rear weight.
Old 12-15-11, 06:21 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by N305AS
I'd love to know why the bottoming-out sensation is noticeably worse with a nearly-empty (1/4 tank or less) gas tank than a full one. As a matter of fact, it's considerably better with a totally full tank for some reason, which is counterintuitive - you'd think there'd be less travel to the bump stops with an empty tank since there's less rear weight.
Earlier in this thread, RJ4510 said, "throw in a couple of 40lbs bags of water softener salt, start up the car and drive it around a bit. It seems to "reset" the system for a while, till it acts up again. I don't have to keep the salt in the car more than the short time during the "reset" process."

This seems to support the theory that added weight does something?
Old 03-27-12, 06:31 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to the top
Old 03-29-12, 11:10 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Bilsteins are the best bet with standard Coils and some mods to hold the coils at the base.
Old 03-29-12, 12:25 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mann777
Bilsteins are the best bet with standard Coils and some mods to hold the coils at the base.
even if you use the old air bag frame/pillar you still need to do the mods?
Old 03-29-12, 03:55 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Whats an airbag frame / pillar?
Old 03-29-12, 08:03 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mann777
I've yet to read a single review from someone going to Bilstiens, with or without replacing the rear bags. Anyone actually done it?
Old 03-30-12, 07:27 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Theres only a handful of people that have converted over to standard shocks and its not cheap so they dont usually go with Bilsteins. If youre going to do it, do it right and spend the money on top quality shocks not that Bilsteins arent good shocks but theres better out there for offroad. And most people that convert also lift their GXs.
Old 03-30-12, 12:51 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

well from reading it seems this is such an easy task but it doesn't seem like a whole lot of people who have done this for practical reasons other than for offroading - we need more input...
Old 03-30-12, 07:37 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

In theory, these would bolt on: http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

The nice thing is that they would give some adjustability in terms of front ride height. I'd like to raise the front end of mine just a bit to better match the rear.

My question/concern is whether the rears have enough travel for the GX, since they're for the T4R. I should have measured the min/max measurements for the rear OE shock I replaced. Bilstein has the specs for the T4R shocks on their site.
Old 03-31-12, 10:16 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

the shocks would bolt on for sure, but what about the springs for airbag replacement
Old 03-31-12, 10:50 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Theyll bolt on but if your rear axle drops the springs could / will pop out. You need to make or buy a bracket for the bottom of the springs. Theres no way around that. I gave the links in the other thread, ask those guys. One guy even said the place that made the brackets for him when they installed his suspension for him.
Old 03-31-12, 11:54 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Theyll bolt on but if your rear axle drops the springs could / will pop out. You need to make or buy a bracket for the bottom of the springs. Theres no way around that. I gave the links in the other thread, ask those guys. One guy even said the place that made the brackets for him when they installed his suspension for him.
Yeah. I'd be pretty wary of any DIY brackets to secure a rear spring to the axle. If I was serious about replacing my airbag setup (which I love, by the way, despite all the flakiness of the system -- it's absolutely amazing for trailer towing and load hauling), I'd go find a rear toyota axle that would bolt on. My guess is a rear 4runner axle would work. All you'd need to do is check the rear track and pickup points, and figure out whether the gear ratio would work out. Again, my guess is a v8 T4R Sport rear axle would bolt right up and allow springs safely.

All you need is for a spring to pop out while in the middle of an emergency avoidance on the highway. Kiss your butt, and your kids', goodbye.
Old 03-31-12, 12:13 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

yeah i went back and read about the other gx470 going with the springs replacing airbags using brackets... seem like lotta hassle but are there adverts for conversion kit that say the kit has everything you need and make no mention of brackets to hold springs in?...

i could theoretically fabricate the same brackets in those other gx but that's quite a bit of trouble without the guaranteed of it being safe without a pillar of sort to truly hold springs in... that and the fact if i did lift the truck any higher it wont fit inside my garage...

Quick Reply: Air Suspension to Standard Conversion?