GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

My Dashboard is Cracking

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-14, 04:06 PM
FLLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Photos of My '03 GX470 Dash Cracks

Got around to taking some photos of my dashboard cracks. Intense cracks happening over by the SRS Airbag. What do you guys think? Nice, huh? It slowly started from the passenger side vent and over the past few years these little buggers have successfully worked their way across the entire dash @

My Dashboard is Cracking-y0ouxjl.jpg

My Dashboard is Cracking-pttewkp.jpg

My Dashboard is Cracking-zy1fn2e.jpg

My Dashboard is Cracking-weesyhg.jpg

My Dashboard is Cracking-ghy8z37.jpg

My Dashboard is Cracking-lbdrsbs.jpg

My Dashboard is Cracking-cxadj4p.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	gHy8z37.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	497930

My Dashboard is Cracking-kksilfv.jpg

My Dashboard is Cracking-dykybh8.jpg

My Dashboard is Cracking-x9qlezf.jpg

My Dashboard is Cracking-nf9h7o6.jpg

My Dashboard is Cracking-j3tujxz.jpg

My Dashboard is Cracking-zkzn8mk.jpg

Sorry the photos are so huge, I think it's time for a much needed detail.
Old 04-21-14, 04:35 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

that is so sad. Lexus should be ashamed
Old 04-22-14, 06:31 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Wow, those are massive. Thanks for posting the photos, I had been wondering what everyone was talking about.

Did you ever put any dressing on the dash? Armor-All, 303 Protectant, etc? Years ago I had this happen after Armor-All-ing it. Since then, I've only used a damp cloth.

Chip H.
Old 04-22-14, 09:02 AM
FLLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, it's pretty bad nowadays. when cleaning the dash I've only really used a feather duster and/or a damp cloth. I was thinking of getting a dash cover, but I recently saw one in someone else's car and it was no bueno.

Originally Posted by chiph9
Wow, those are massive. Thanks for posting the photos, I had been wondering what everyone was talking about.

Did you ever put any dressing on the dash? Armor-All, 303 Protectant, etc? Years ago I had this happen after Armor-All-ing it. Since then, I've only used a damp cloth.

Chip H.
Old 04-24-14, 06:27 AM
mdriess
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought a GX 470. Have seen a ton listed for sale with this problem. If you are selling, buying, or own a GX - check with your dealer to see if they have a contractor they work with to repair these on the pre-owned vehicles they sell. The dealer I called offered to put me in touch with the guy they use to repair this - they said they see it all the time and have a guy they use every time to fix who does a great job and the cost was around $200-300. This is different from multiple sources who said it can't be repaired and has to be replaced at a cost of a few thousand, so you may have to try a few times, but you may get lucky and find someone local who will do the repair.
Old 04-24-14, 06:37 AM
GRAYM
Driver

Default dash crack

first of all, that is horrible....second, it happened to mine and went back to my dealer and he got Lexus to pay for half. since i was way of my warranty and I am the original owner with over 180K miles at the time they helped out, sure they could've done more but at least i have a good dash now. I don't recall using anything on the dash that you shouldn't, so i think this is just a defect that they will not admit to....i currently have 215K miles and plan to keep it as nice as i can...the only other inherent problem is the corrosion on the wheels....that is another story and another area that lexus apparently went cheap.
Old 04-24-14, 06:41 AM
mdriess
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know what years this issue applies to?
Old 04-25-14, 12:12 AM
FLLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Did Corporate offer you "Assistance" to help offset the cost of replacing the dash? If you don't mind me asking, how much did you have to pay the dealership? Did you have to take it to the dealership first to get it assessed and then report back to Corporate?

I know my GX will last well over 200K> as long as it's well taken care of it's just the dash that's crampin' my style

As for the wheel corrosion I found that PlastiDip works really well - it's a cost effective solution to avoid purchasing new wheels. You can sand/scrape off the corrosion. There was nothing wrong with my wheels, it's just that the paint was chipping off of the wheel. I found it easy to PlastiDip the wheels. Check these guys out on how to PlastiDip https://www.dipyourcar.com/Videos-and-Guides.html

Originally Posted by GRAYM
first of all, that is horrible....second, it happened to mine and went back to my dealer and he got Lexus to pay for half. since i was way of my warranty and I am the original owner with over 180K miles at the time they helped out, sure they could've done more but at least i have a good dash now. I don't recall using anything on the dash that you shouldn't, so i think this is just a defect that they will not admit to....i currently have 215K miles and plan to keep it as nice as i can...the only other inherent problem is the corrosion on the wheels....that is another story and another area that lexus apparently went cheap.
Old 04-25-14, 12:13 AM
FLLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Mostly first generations, but I think it effects across the board.

Originally Posted by mdriess
Does anyone know what years this issue applies to?
Old 04-25-14, 12:14 AM
FLLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

You are very lucky. I haven't had any luck in my area.

Originally Posted by mdriess
Just bought a GX 470. Have seen a ton listed for sale with this problem. If you are selling, buying, or own a GX - check with your dealer to see if they have a contractor they work with to repair these on the pre-owned vehicles they sell. The dealer I called offered to put me in touch with the guy they use to repair this - they said they see it all the time and have a guy they use every time to fix who does a great job and the cost was around $200-300. This is different from multiple sources who said it can't be repaired and has to be replaced at a cost of a few thousand, so you may have to try a few times, but you may get lucky and find someone local who will do the repair.
Old 04-26-14, 03:32 PM
varithms
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think when mine gets bad this will be my option. A nice leather rap.
Old 04-30-14, 09:35 PM
FLLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

This was a nice DIY wrap. However, I can't imagine going this route with my GX, I would probably be likely to screw something up leaving this repair to the pros.

Originally Posted by varithms
I think when mine gets bad this will be my option. A nice leather rap. How To Recover A Dashboard - YouTube
Old 05-01-14, 10:33 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by varithms
I think when mine gets bad this will be my option. A nice leather rap.
Rap huh.

Jokes aside, I wouldn't recommend doing any wrap on our dash due to the passenger side front airbag. The airbag might not be able to penetrate through the dash material and the leather wrap if in an accident.
Attached Thumbnails My Dashboard is Cracking-airbag.jpg  
Old 05-02-14, 08:13 PM
varithms
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Rap huh.

Jokes aside, I wouldn't recommend doing any wrap on our dash due to the passenger side front airbag. The airbag might not be able to penetrate through the dash material and the leather wrap if in an accident.
That is a good point. I filed my complaint. Here is what came to mind after reading your post so this what I submitted:
The dashboard is cracking around the passenger side airbag. The airbag was designed with a certain amount of resistance from the dashboard. Major concern with airbag deployment speed with less resistance from dashboard. Also concern about fragmentation of dashboard during deployment.

I have a 1996 toyota t100 that has been outside all its life and the dash is perfect. :/

Last edited by varithms; 05-02-14 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-22-14, 11:47 AM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just picked up an 06 GX470, has the infamous crack going up the left side of the speedo area, its very small, but hopefully it doesnt keep growing.

Quick Reply: My Dashboard is Cracking