GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

My Dashboard is Cracking

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-13, 11:09 AM
SolMiami
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Apopka3271
I live in Apopka and have an 06 RX330 with a cracked dash.
I have gotten nowhere with Lexus (or Lexus of Orlando).

We should not have this kind of problem with a premium vehicle.
Unfortunately, the dash is recycled Chinese made crap.

Perhaps we should organize this into a class action lawsuit?
Count me in - 786 546 4500
I have a letter from the "customer satisfaction department" and an email from the Dealership in North Miami, denying to fix and giving me the most stupid way out!
Old 09-18-13, 02:10 PM
wdoan23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2004 GX470 that is always garage kept. I'm the only owner to this vehicle. A week ago, the dashboard cracked as well.....a long crack along the dome/arch where the speedometer is at. Has anyone gotten any luck of getting the dealership or Lexus to repair it for you at no cost? Apparently, this is a manufacture defect.

Thanks for helping
Old 09-21-13, 05:47 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...equest***.html
Old 09-21-13, 05:48 AM
surferdp
Driver School Candidate

Hello All; new to this site and to being a Lexus owner; starting out pretty rough. We own a 2007 gx 470; 3rd owner but only 60k miles; just replaced the altenator, noticed the dash crack 2 weeks ago and now can;t seem to get the VSC back on and the differential lock off......Any ideas greatly appreciated
Old 09-21-13, 05:55 AM
surferdp
Driver School Candidate

Totally agree; Lexus quality is not impressing me at this point
Old 09-21-13, 06:08 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by surferdp
and the differential lock off......Any ideas greatly appreciated
Try driving backwards for 10ft or so then push the lock button to see if it unlocks.

Originally Posted by surferdp
Totally agree; Lexus quality is not impressing me at this point
It's Toyota's quality. Both Toyota and Lexus have the same problem.
Old 10-09-13, 04:04 AM
LexTrip
Driver School Candidate

I have an '07 GX and the dash is "perfect"... How can I keep it that way?

I just picked up a Sun Shade to keep the sun off the dash... what should I condition it with? Meguiars?
Old 10-09-13, 08:20 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexTrip
I have an '07 GX and the dash is "perfect"... How can I keep it that way?

I just picked up a Sun Shade to keep the sun off the dash... what should I condition it with? Meguiars?
I don't think there's anything you can do. Some are the original owners, have always garaged their vehicle and their dash still cracked.

I personally wouldn't use any type of cleaning or protectant product on the dash. To clean it just use warm water and a towel.
Old 10-09-13, 06:44 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

after a major repair to the front end Rail being replaced after a accident my dash had been in great shape
it was Damaged during the Repair
Lexus of Margate JM lexus in Margate FL
called Lexus and Lexus agreed to pay for half the dash of the 1800 they pay half and the dealer is picking up the other half

i would go back to your collision shop probably JM lexus might help you more then anyone els in the area if your in the Miami Fort Lauderdal or WPB area
and see what you can do
worst case they can't get lexus to agree to anything best case they agree to send a new dash you just pay the labor
Old 10-09-13, 10:53 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

So is this Something that only effects certain GXs, or that can be fixed perminantly? My 04 with 158k on it shows no signs of the cracks, which I almost find odd considering the high mileage and age. No record of it in the maintenance history either...

If it starts to go though, that'll give me an excuse to get a suede dash cover!
Old 10-30-13, 10:47 AM
crissy
Driver School Candidate

I own a Lexus RX 300 1999 and a RX330 2004. I noticed a hairline crack on my 330 almost a year ago. It has spread through out different areas on the dash. The crack is the worst by the passenger side air bag. I notified Lexus of the problem and they took pictures and then informed me that they will not fix the problem! I am concerned about the cosmetic look but more importantly the safety since the cracks are the worst by the passenger side airbag. I am so upset that they will not fix this! I tried to find a dash board cover but could not find a cover that goes low enough on the passenger side to cover main crack. I need it to stop right above where the glove compartment starts. I have always said Lexus has the best customer service but after this issue my mind is changed.
Old 10-30-13, 11:02 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default No issues

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
So is this Something that only effects certain GXs, or that can be fixed perminantly? My 04 with 158k on it shows no signs of the cracks, which I almost find odd considering the high mileage and age. No record of it in the maintenance history either...

If it starts to go though, that'll give me an excuse to get a suede dash cover!
I have a 2004 90,000 miles I am third owner bought it 4 months ago . In great shape taken care of , The dash shows no issues at all.. The build date on mine was 04/04. I am surprised as you are not a glint of a problem

Buddy
Old 11-04-13, 12:42 PM
OHeddyB
Driver School Candidate

Default A temp solution

So, I, too, have the ugly cracked dash with huge chunks out. I finally decided I would try to fix it myself. I bought a sheetrock mud with primer from Wal-Mart. I mudded the areas and cracks 3 times, sanding in between applications and I took a piece of the actual dash to Home Depot and let them color match it. I have since painted and it is by no means perfect, but it looks so much better than all the chunks and cracks that was there before. It's an inexpensive temp. solution if you want to keep your vehicle and not have to pay $1000 plus to have it replaced. I was so frustrated with how it looked before, anything is an improvement! (2005 RX 330) Before and after pics (after is with wet paint!)
Attached Thumbnails My Dashboard is Cracking-dashboard-cracked.jpg   My Dashboard is Cracking-crackeddashpaint.jpg  
Old 12-15-13, 04:39 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

If this has been posted before...forgive me. I found this site while reading through some other forums about cracking dashes.

http://www.drvinyl.com/
Old 01-02-14, 11:08 AM
GX470Fan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed a GREAT dashcover that I bought from a small local company here in Durango, Colorado. It's sort of like a plush velour, kind of. It's black, like the dashboard and fits about 90% perfectly. It came with Velcro strips that stick to the dashboard and attach to the cover. I can already tell that it will need more to stay perfectly. It looks great and I'm hoping that in conjunction with the full Factory tint all around, it will help prevent any cracking. My GX is an '07 in perfect condition with about 90k miles on it and, thank goodness, I've had no problems so far with any cracking. The cover is so extensive that even if I did get any cracking, it would definitely cover it. I would advise anyone with cracking concerns to get one of these covers. See my earlier post with the link to the company that sells these. They have multiple choices. My two cents.

Quick Reply: My Dashboard is Cracking