Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

My Dashboard is Cracking

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-12, 12:54 PM   #16
clubsport
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROK View Post
I'd much rather look at the cracks.
the only cracks i wanna see are the ones on kate upton's behind... hahaha
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
clubsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-12, 04:12 PM   #17
sprocket
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEDUPLEXUS View Post
I have read this thread for 2 hrs because i am having cracking problems with my 2004 RX330 dash. I just came from LEXUS OF ORLANDO, Winter Park location and let me tell you they are well aware of the PROBLEM. They have a "TEST" / list of QUALIFYING questions to ask you to see if they are going to help with the repair.

1. Are you the original owner? ..and why does it matter when the car is 8 yrs old and has 59,000 miles on it. The dash should not crack. My Dad was the original owner. STRIKE 1 on me
2. Do I have ALL maintenance performed by a LEXUS dealer? ...why should this matter. NO, I do not want to pay $45.00 for oil changes.
3. D i OWN 2 or more Lexus vehicles?..why should this matter? Quick answer...I am GLAD i do not OWN 2 2004 RX330's...I would have to pay for 2 X $1500 dash replacements.

I have also owned a 2004 TOYOTA CAMRY til recently and did not have dash problems with it. If they do not help with the replacement LEXUS / TOYOTA will fall next to HP on my family DO NOT BUY list.

I will have update next week...Wish me luck!!
Keep us posted. I don't live far from Lexus of Orlando. Courtesy Toyota next door is where I take mine for service. Fresh cookies just don't do it for me.
__________________
2004 GX470 CPO
sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 03:00 PM   #18
MtPeanut
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MT
Posts: 2
Default Dashboard Crack...normal?

Hello all!!

New to Lexus, considering '06 GX470 purchase. Very low mileage, all seems in good condition except a crack that runs the span of passenger side dashboard. From center nav screen area to passenger side air vent (just above the airbag imprint). If it's cosmetic, I really don't care. If it's something more.....

CarFax shows no accidents. Owner stated it's from heat in FL and not conditioning while vehicle was stored, that this is "typical of FL heat & GX's". I've never heard of this. She's hardly been driven, less than 20k on her. Input?

Thank you in advance!
MtP

Last edited by MtPeanut; 12-31-12 at 03:07 PM..
MtPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 05:19 PM   #19
jrbyrn
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IN
Posts: 46
Default

If you go back 3 pages there is a long thread about dashboard cracks. I have always thought that a well serviced low mileage vehicle is a gem.
jrbyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-13, 08:29 AM   #20
txlincoln
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 11
Default

I have an '07 GX470, very well kept, dashboard cracked 3 days after I got it, but I would buy it again b/c it is such a good vehicle.

There are 3rd parties that can "patch" it....new dashboard with labor will run you $1200-$1500 from research I have done here in TX.

Long term I have been told if the crack gets really wide it could cause some issues, I am probably just going to do the "patch" job at some point.
txlincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-13, 07:07 AM   #21
XX123
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 1
Default

I have the same problem, dash is melting by vents at top and cracking is about 5 or 6 different places. I have always had a shield on it to protect interior from heat - seems there are a lot of problems with the dashboards on the Lexus - I've lived in Florida all my life had a number of cars (before window shields were invented) and I've never had a cracked or melting dash....
XX123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-13, 11:21 PM   #22
MtPeanut
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MT
Posts: 2
Default

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback!
MtPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-13, 09:43 AM   #23
xbrian
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 1
Default Dashboard Crack...normal?

Mine cracked also. I have 3 separate cracks. From the radio to the heater vent on the passenger side, right across the driver's side instrument panel and a 4" fracture by the radio. I was told it was not covered under the extended factory warranty! Bummer!
xbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-13, 05:13 AM   #24
GRAYM
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrian View Post
Mine cracked also. I have 3 separate cracks. From the radio to the heater vent on the passenger side, right across the driver's side instrument panel and a 4" fracture by the radio. I was told it was not covered under the extended factory warranty! Bummer!
Call the dealer and have them contact lexus, i had the same issue and the covered it via goodwill jesture, yes they only covered 50% but who cares this was ugly and should never have happened. have 200K on my 03 and will keep this until is falls apart......3 lexus vehicles so far!!


Also I live in PA so it can happen anywhere!! garage kept too!!
GRAYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-13, 07:46 AM   #25
rj4510
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
rj4510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Arizona
Posts: 322
Default

I would think you could get it replaced under CPO warranty, if there is one. Just as a reference, dash cracks are not the norm. I have an 03 with 15K miles and mine has been sitting out in the sun everyday at work in one of the hottest cities on the planet and no cracks. I do however, use the dealer bought double-insulated sunshade everyday. Paint, seats, trim moldings and all plastic parts still look good.

Sounds to me the car sat outside without dash protection. It may still be a very nice car and last for years. A good upholstery shop can fix the cracks too, but will likely be pricey.
rj4510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 05:35 AM   #26
fulflaps
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: fl
Posts: 9
Default Cracked Dash

I too am starting to see cracks on my 2005 rx 330.
Anyone have any inside data on this one?
fulflaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 05:53 AM   #27
chrisvr6
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: chicago
Posts: 435
Default

Are you people putting armor-all on your dashboards or what?
chrisvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 10:11 AM   #28
scb71
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 11
Default Common issue

This is unfortunately a very common issue. From what I have learned it has nothing really to do with where the car is garaged or anything like that - it's a manufacturing defect but the does not typically occur until well after the warranty is out so you just live with it. You can replace it but it is expensive.

My 2004 has always been in a garage and ours started to crack maybe 3 years ago - cannot really recall. It started small on the right side from the air vent. It now has cracks in multiple places on both sides. I am just going to live with it I guess - the car is almost 10 years old so it's not worth 2k for a purely cosmetic dash replacement to me.

If someone else has something great to share I would like to hear as well but I have never found anything other than it happens all the time.
scb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-13, 09:44 AM   #29
FEDUPLEXUS
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 11
Default

I originally posted
Originally Posted by FEDUPLEXUS View Post
I have read this thread for 2 hrs because i am having cracking problems with my 2004 RX330 dash. I just came from LEXUS OF ORLANDO, Winter Park location and let me tell you they are well aware of the PROBLEM. They have a "TEST" / list of QUALIFYING questions to ask you to see if they are going to help with the repair.

1. Are you the original owner? ..and why does it matter when the car is 8 yrs old and has 59,000 miles on it. The dash should not crack. My Dad was the original owner. STRIKE 1 on me
2. Do I have ALL maintenance performed by a LEXUS dealer? ...why should this matter. NO, I do not want to pay $45.00 for oil changes.
3. D i OWN 2 or more Lexus vehicles?..why should this matter? Quick answer...I am GLAD i do not OWN 2 2004 RX330's...I would have to pay for 2 X $1500 dash replacements.

I have also owned a 2004 TOYOTA CAMRY til recently and did not have dash problems with it. If they do not help with the replacement LEXUS / TOYOTA will fall next to HP on my family DO NOT BUY list.

I will have update next week...Wish me luck!!
***********************************************************************
2/25/13 Update. Nothing new. Lexus and Lexus of Orlando refused help of any sort just as they have with Moon Roof issue. Just purchased a VERY BEAUTIFUL NEW LINCOLN MKX. NO MORE LEXUS CRAP FOR ME!! Best way to teach them is to NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCT, INCLUDING TOYOTA!!
FEDUPLEXUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 05:50 AM   #30
cdew002
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEDUPLEXUS View Post
I originally posted
Originally Posted by FEDUPLEXUS View Post
I have read this thread for 2 hrs because i am having cracking problems with my 2004 RX330 dash. I just came from LEXUS OF ORLANDO, Winter Park location and let me tell you they are well aware of the PROBLEM. They have a "TEST" / list of QUALIFYING questions to ask you to see if they are going to help with the repair.

1. Are you the original owner? ..and why does it matter when the car is 8 yrs old and has 59,000 miles on it. The dash should not crack. My Dad was the original owner. STRIKE 1 on me
2. Do I have ALL maintenance performed by a LEXUS dealer? ...why should this matter. NO, I do not want to pay $45.00 for oil changes.
3. D i OWN 2 or more Lexus vehicles?..why should this matter? Quick answer...I am GLAD i do not OWN 2 2004 RX330's...I would have to pay for 2 X $1500 dash replacements.

I have also owned a 2004 TOYOTA CAMRY til recently and did not have dash problems with it. If they do not help with the replacement LEXUS / TOYOTA will fall next to HP on my family DO NOT BUY list.

I will have update next week...Wish me luck!!
***********************************************************************
2/25/13 Update. Nothing new. Lexus and Lexus of Orlando refused help of any sort just as they have with Moon Roof issue. Just purchased a VERY BEAUTIFUL NEW LINCOLN MKX. NO MORE LEXUS CRAP FOR ME!! Best way to teach them is to NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCT, INCLUDING TOYOTA!!
You'll be back. This is a glaring issue on the part of Lexus, and I will not defend their position, but if you get this angry over a dashboard, wait until that Lincoln starts falling apart after a year or two.
cdew002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 05:50 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2005, 2007, 470, board, crack, cracked, cracking, cracks, dash, dashboard, dashboards, gx, gx470, is250, is350, lexus, mark, problems, rx330, toyota

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keep or Sell my 2005 GX470? smfphx GX - First Generation 15 09-16-14 11:41 AM
Does this look like the dreaded Dash Crack, or ?? Fluid GX - First Generation 20 02-11-14 06:39 PM
Dashboard cracks - How to stop them (the Crack Arrest Technique) - Lexus Toyota Acura oardila99 GX - First Generation 3 11-13-12 03:46 AM
Best approach regarding cracked dash sunflower GX - First Generation 8 01-27-12 05:30 PM
MM Review: 2011 Lexus GX460 mmarshall Car Chat 74 12-26-11 03:19 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:32 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info