Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Gasoline grade

Old 05-17-12, 12:03 PM   #31
NYC470
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

hatzolah@yahoo.com

Thanks for your reasoning.
I'm glad also that the price of gas is declining now. It just went back down below $4 a gallon.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
NYC470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 07:24 PM   #32
guccigucci
Rookie

Well the previous owner use only 87 according to him, but i will switch to 89 because i know its better for the engine and life of the car...
guccigucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 07:32 PM   #33
guccigucci
Rookie

I have calculated the local gas price just now, there is a 0.09 price difference per Liter, now if i go 89 all the way, then each month i will be paying $7.65 * 4 = $30.60 difference, a year will be $367.20

If i go 91 will be $51.00 more per month and $612 more per year compared to 87...

so i guess i will go with 89 with a slight better peace of mind for myself and the engine...

But i will also try a tank of 87 which is now, then to 91 and sees which will gain more KM per tank...
Old 10-24-12, 11:01 AM   #34
tzh2231
Driver School Candidate

Yep I do not understand the thoughts behind these either. If you cannot afford the 5% price premium of gas between 91 and 87, then get a corolla, you will save SO MUCH on gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROK View Post
im pretty entertained by the number of folks who choose to ignore toyota's recs. look, filling up a tank and then not noticing anything doesn't mean everything is running in top form.

the human butt dyno is hard pressed to even discern a 25hp delta up or down. what makes you think a tank of gas is going to make you feel anything different?

it's about the long term health of your rig. if it says prem fuel only on your fuel door, run prem fuel. if you're struggling to justify the diff, why are you driving a gas guzzling rig anyways? let alone a luxury suv?

lol no offense, jus sayin
tzh2231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-12, 01:34 PM   #35
brycejaq
Driver

[QUOTE=ROK;6840364 if you're struggling to justify the diff, why are you driving a gas guzzling rig anyways? let alone a luxury suv?

lol no offense, jus sayin[/QUOTE]

Where's the "like" button?! Seriously.

Mine: 2008 Tundra CM Ltd 4X4 Nautical Blue/Tan, 90k, 3/1 leveling kit, 305/55-R20 Toyo A/T's, MBRP dual exhaust, 3" Westin step bars, Plasti-Dipped, WeatherTech mats & a SnugTop Rebel for the Danes
The wifs: 2006 Lexus GX470 Blizzard Pearl/Tan, All-weather mats, 110k. Future mod: another 5 years and 75k miles!
brycejaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 09:06 AM   #36
Taco_Kid
Pole Position

it doesnt matter you run 87. 87 actually has a more complete burn vs the higher octanes. i have been running 87 for 6 years now w/o issue.
Taco_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 09:33 AM   #37
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

It depends what year GX you have. On my '05 Lexus recommends higher octane but doesnt say its required.

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...gx470o/gas.pdf

▲ click the pic to view my mods ▲
- Lifted 2.5" Front Icon Coilovers w/ CDC Valve ❚ Rear Bilstein 5100s
18" BFD Wheels ❚ 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers
HID Retro *SC430 Projectors* ❚ Interior & Exterior LEDs
VaisTech ❚ Coastal Lockpick
Sport Taillights
5% Llumar CTX Tint All Around
RCsGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 01:07 PM   #38
guccigucci
Rookie

Yes i have noticed any GX 05+ needs premium due to extra HP and different engine VVTi, so thats the reason why i guess. I am no expert, but now i use Sea Foam, 5w 30 Full Synethic oil, 89 octane...so this is my routine while driving old man style sometimes here and there and hopefully to get 300 miles before tank light comes on...
Old 10-29-12, 01:11 PM   #39
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by guccigucci View Post
Yes i have noticed any GX 05+ needs premium due to extra HP and different engine VVTi,

Its recommended, but you dont have to use premium. 87 is perfectly fine.

▲ click the pic to view my mods ▲
- Lifted 2.5" Front Icon Coilovers w/ CDC Valve ❚ Rear Bilstein 5100s
18" BFD Wheels ❚ 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers
HID Retro *SC430 Projectors* ❚ Interior & Exterior LEDs
VaisTech ❚ Coastal Lockpick
Sport Taillights
5% Llumar CTX Tint All Around
RCsGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 02:28 PM   #40
ALAN553
Lead Lap

Check the difference with you MPG, using the higher octane may give you slightly better MPG partially offsetting the difference in the price. I find that I get an extra 1 MPG with 93 octane, that equates into approx a 4 dollar for that gallon. The difference between the 93 and the 87 comes to 6 extra bucks for 20 gallons...so it winds up costing me only 2 extra dollars per week for whatever performance gains I may achieve. Beyond that, the octane difference does not contribute to the life or health etc of the engine. If you want to achieve that pick top tier fuel supplies like shell or Exxon, they add a little extra detergents to their products regardless of octane.
ALAN553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 10:47 PM   #41
guccigucci
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN553 View Post
Check the difference with you MPG, using the higher octane may give you slightly better MPG partially offsetting the difference in the price. I find that I get an extra 1 MPG with 93 octane, that equates into approx a 4 dollar for that gallon. The difference between the 93 and the 87 comes to 6 extra bucks for 20 gallons...so it winds up costing me only 2 extra dollars per week for whatever performance gains I may achieve. Beyond that, the octane difference does not contribute to the life or health etc of the engine. If you want to achieve that pick top tier fuel supplies like shell or Exxon, they add a little extra detergents to their products regardless of octane.

I agree, and Shell makes good gas i know, but ESSO sucks here...
Old 10-30-12, 06:13 AM   #42
Ancient
Pole Position

Like the comment on the "butt dyno". I have an 08 with 70,000 miles now. I run preium fuel, but guilty of running a tank of regular, when gas hit $4.00 a gallon. But that is it. I chose to own this vehicle, knowing that is costs more to own and operate this vehicle. It is a business vechile for me, so I can write off that extra expense. Other than the initial purchase, with some little fixes at that time (clunk driveshaft issue), I have driven this vehicle for about two years, and more than 25,000 miles, with just normal maintence. I pay more for synethic oil, and premium fuel, but intend to own this car for a while. I am still in love after two years.

I stopped and looked at a Jeep Grand Cherokee, with the SRT package. It was great to dream for a moment about being able to blow the doors off most cars, but reality hit me. I had a Hemi Jeep and didn't drive that for a two year period, without a lot of major or minor repairs.
Ancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 09:33 AM   #43
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I watched an episode of 5th gear on the BBC where they did tests on fuel grades and vendors. What they found is that the higher octane gases do in fact give increased performance to the tune of 4whp on a golf gti. They also noted that, the higher price far exceeded the benefits of the higher octane.

Even the bargain basement Walmart gas (the cheapest/lowest octance they could find) did just fine.

So I'd say that if you stick to a Tier 1 rated gas station, and arent towing a load, then a mid grade and even the lowest grade will run the vehicle just fine. THe ecu will automatically pull timing to keep things in check. You may consider running a fuel cleaner through the system more often, but other than that I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 11-03-12, 04:10 PM   #44
rtrdriver
Driver School Candidate

R Thomas Rupprecht
Smile It sucks it either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserGX View Post
Find the happy medium and go w/ 89. Does it ping at all? I use 89 and if I find 91 that is cheap like costco, then I use 91.
I agree with you cruiser. I do the same thing. Costco has premium for about the same price as mid-grade at most brand name gas stations.
rtrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 01:31 PM   #45
EricGX
Driver School Candidate

I think Toyota probably has sold more cars worlwide running the 2UZ engine than all the GXs put together in the USA and most of those countries don't have very good fuel.

How many thousands and thousands of land cruisers are out there running on worse quality petrol than yours? I'm sure this engine is well prepared for low quality fuel.

Remeber Lexus just borrows stuff from Toyota and if you ever visit Africa, South America, Middle East or Asia you will see that Toyota is the most used brand.

I wish I could run my GX on 100 octane aviation gasoline just for kicks but unfortunately all I have available is bad fuel (not even sure about the octane!). With 60k miles it still feels pretty solid to me.

Just my 2 cents...
EricGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 01:31 PM