GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What did you do to your GX TODAY?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-14, 07:58 PM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
and replaced the reverse bulbs with some high powered PIAA bulbs (couldn't find any LED's for this application I was happy with).

Nice. Do you mind posting the part number for those? I noticed camping this weekend that extra light output in the back would be nice.
Old 05-24-14, 08:39 PM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

I took it and my special lady camping:

Old 05-24-14, 11:16 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Nothnghead
Nice. Do you mind posting the part number for those? I noticed camping this weekend that extra light output in the back would be nice.
I used PIAA Extreme White 7440 bulbs, part # 19225, model # H-22SE. They are brighter than the stock bulbs, but I'd still like to find a proper LED in a similar configuration to the attached (due to the reflector design), from a reputable seller.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your GX TODAY?-7440-x45-t-led-tail-brake-bulb-store.jpg  
Old 05-25-14, 05:27 PM
6080prado
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took it and my special lady camping:

Springbar?

My son and I have really been enjoying our Kodiak 10 x 10. I wish I could out camping more, but when we do having the extra room is nice. The durability is nice too when it becomes the center entertainment among a gaggle of 8 year olds.
Old 05-26-14, 09:08 AM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 6080prado
Springbar?
Yup. I spent all of my boy scout years in those. This one is from my wife's family. They've been camping in it for 25 years and, now that all her siblings have grown up, we inherited it. Like my Toyotas, 25 years old and just broken in. It should outlast us.
Old 06-02-14, 11:52 AM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

My boys and I took the GX off-road for the first time since we got it last November. This is on the way back from Jasper, Alberta towards Edmonton. We were trying to get down to a river from the top of the valley. There the railroad tracks go off to a long trestle over a small river which runs to the big river. The hills were steep grade, loose rock and dirt. Used the DAC for the first time and ran the whole gamut on low with locked center. After a little race to get back up top before the rain got too bad, my son said it ran like a tank. Never an issue with lack of grip or power. Once we got back on to level grade and decent road we switched back to "luxury ride" mode and everything was awesome. This vehicle is incredibly versatile! Very impressed!
Old 06-02-14, 04:01 PM
amccaulx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed a fresh set of Bilstein 5100s with the OEM springs at the 2nd from the top setting. This gave about 1.5-1.75" lift, evening out the stance both side to side and front to back (the passenger side was .25" lower originally). I'll probably trick the airbags a little to get some rake back but not too much...I don't want to make it ride too hard back there.

The test run over the mountains to the 19th century pioneer cemetery revealed a ride that is noticeably more firm. It's not uncomfortable and definitely controls the heavier LT tires better than stock. What I notice now is that the rear seems a bit unruly in rough terrain.

So your rear suspension is just the Bilstien 5100s and stock airbags? That pic looks like the rear has been lifted, or did you just set the rear height setting to High for the pic?
Old 06-03-14, 10:48 AM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by amccaulx
So your rear suspension is just the Bilstien 5100s and stock airbags? That pic looks like the rear has been lifted, or did you just set the rear height setting to High for the pic?
Nope, my rear is stock everything and I haven't adjusted the ride height sensors either. The bilstein's are just on the front with stock springs. I noticed that the rear actually rides about 1/2" LOWER after lifting the front

Before the end of the summer, I plan on changing over to coils in the rear and those will have a bit of lift in them.
Old 06-04-14, 04:45 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
Got the PCV valve changed, and replaced the reverse bulbs with some high powered PIAA bulbs (couldn't find any LED's for this application I was happy with).
I've been thinking of replacing the PCV valve. I have around 110k miles and also considering replacing the spark plugs as well - maybe I'll do both at the same time.

Did you buy the valve from the dealer? Where is it located and was it easy to replace? Did you notice any difference in car's performance?
Old 06-04-14, 05:12 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Matsui
I've been thinking of replacing the PCV valve. I have around 110k miles and also considering replacing the spark plugs as well - maybe I'll do both at the same time. Did you buy the valve from the dealer? Where is it located and was it easy to replace? Did you notice any difference in car's performance?
I did get the valve from the dealer, facing the engine it's on the very front right of the engine, there's a foam cover on it that makes it tough to spot though. 3 minute job once you locate it. Can't say I've noticed any difference though.
Old 07-03-14, 12:15 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 470reasons
Did an oil change today. This is the GX's first oil change since I purchased it last November.
According to mylexus, the truck has been regularly serviced by a dealer. Not too sure about that. Can independent shops add data to mylexus?

Had to use a breaker bar to remove the 12mm bolts on the skid plate. The oil filter was on really tight! Oil filter was not OEM. The only way I could get the drain plug out was to use "Bluto" my Ingersol-Rand super whammer jammer impact drill. The drain plug was either going to unscrew or have its head ripped off. Scarey! Whew! The plug unscrewed. There was no crush washer on the plug. Drain plug access cover is missing. I'm going to install all new skid plate hardware and repaint the skid plate next oil change. Put in Mobil1 synthetic and a Mobil1 high capacity filter. Installed a new drain plug and a crush washer. Put anti-seize compound on the old skid plate hardware. Things should go much easier next time!

Did my second oil change on the GX today. Much easier than that first oil change back in April. No breaker bar. No impact wrench. No fighting for 15 minutes trying to remove the oil filter put on there by some 600 pound gorilla! Could not bring myself to tighten the drain plug to 28 ft/lb. That's just crazy tight. Took 7 full quarts of Mobil1 this time. Installed all new skid plate bolts. Ace Hardware had the bolts. They're in the drawers labeled 'body bolts'. Exactly like OEM except these have 13mm heads instead of 14mm, but they're very high grade. Also slapped in a new air filter and cabin filter.
Old 07-04-14, 03:07 PM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

Default Tried to install OME rear coils

I had it up on jack stands. Mine aren't terribly tall so I had them under the hitch cross member. Both tires were off and while fighting the rusted shock nut, I remembered too late that I didn't chock the front wheels. Luckily, it came to rest on the lower suspension links and not on the rotors. Not so luckily, one of the jack stands didn't fall over and stabbed up through the plastic bumper cover. Most luckily-est, none of my body parts were underneath this pig.

Now, I think it might be best to find a shop with a lift so this can be done safely and properly.
Old 07-04-14, 03:33 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Most luckily-est, none of my body parts were underneath this pig.
That sucks! Glad you didn't get hurt. Hope nobody was watching when it happened, cuz that just makes it worse. Maybe a heat gun could get the 'wrinkles' out?
Old 07-04-14, 03:46 PM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 470reasons
That sucks! Glad you didn't get hurt. Hope nobody was watching when it happened, cuz that just makes it worse. Maybe a heat gun could get the 'wrinkles' out?
Funnily, I was watching some "truck tech" online this morning and they showed exactly that. Still, now I won't feel bad dragging that bumper over some rocks in ouray at the end of the month.
Old 07-05-14, 07:37 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Went on SH-130 south of Austin this afternoon (highest speed limit in the US).
Found out that the cruise control will indeed lock in at 85mph.

Chip H.

What did you do to your GX TODAY?-jlcikfm.jpg

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GX TODAY?