GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What did you do to your GX TODAY?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-13, 04:09 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

If you turned the truck slightly counter clockwise a bit, it would look like the jet was mounted to the top of the truck . First GX470 into outer space! Just don't count on the GPS to get back to earth.
Old 12-01-13, 04:51 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Added some Christmas lights to the roof rack yesterday.
Old 12-01-13, 10:16 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome! Looks great!
Originally Posted by RCsGX
Added some Christmas lights to the roof rack yesterday.
Old 12-02-13, 12:04 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gxman1
Awesome! Looks great!
Thanks. My daughter thinks it's the coolest thing ever.
Old 12-02-13, 07:18 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

X-mas Lights look really cool--But those Gold rims gotta go
Old 12-02-13, 07:37 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Booyah
X-mas Lights look really cool--But those Gold rims gotta go
They're not gold, they're matte bronze. In the picture they look more yellow than they really are due to the HPS (high pressure sodium) lights.
Old 12-13-13, 06:50 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Last night I finally had some time to wrench a bit, got the sparkplugs and air filter changed, hoping for a modest bump in fuel economy but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 12-13-13, 07:16 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IanB2
Last night I finally had some time to wrench a bit, got the sparkplugs and air filter changed, hoping for a modest bump in fuel economy but I'm not holding my breath.
When I changed my plugs I noticed a peppier throttle response but I didn't noticed any increase in MPGs. My plugs still looked good even over 100K miles.

Installed washers to the ride height sensor brackets. Gained 1/2" and the ride greatly improved!
Old 12-16-13, 09:03 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

When I changed my plugs I noticed a peppier throttle response but I didn't noticed any increase in MPGs. My plugs still looked good even over 100K miles.
I can't say I noticed any improvement, and don't expect any fuel economy improvement either from the plugs alone. My old ones looked pretty decent too, I'm at 156,000kms, so nearly 100k miles as well.

Tonight's project might make more of a difference, made myself a cardboard winter front, slid it down between the rad and the AC condensor, with a duct tape handle so I can pull it back up and out in the spring. This way it's behind everything but the rad, so it shouldn't effect things like my tranny cooler as much as it does the coolant system. I've been getting terrible fuel economy the last number of tanks, it's been cold, I've been parking outside a fair bit, using the command start, and my drive home starts with gridlock so it's slow to warm up as well. Hopefully this makes it warm up quicker, and stay warm effortlessly.
Old 12-18-13, 09:47 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're not gold, they're matte bronze. In the picture they look more yellow than they really are due to the HPS (high pressure sodium) lights.
Hey, can you share more specs on your wheels? Love the look. I'd love some TE37s at some point, not sure if they make a GX fitment. I say this because there's a similarity between yours & the TE37s.
Old 12-18-13, 10:39 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Installed washers to the ride height sensor brackets. Gained 1/2" and the ride greatly improved!
Thats a very cheap way of doing it and dont have to fool with adjustments either. So does that actually raise the vehicle some too?
Old 12-19-13, 06:23 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Booyah
Thats a very cheap way of doing it and dont have to fool with adjustments either. So does that actually raise the vehicle some too?
2 washers = 1/8" thick and it lifted the rear 1/2".

(rear height : I measured from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender flare)
  • before: 22 1/8"
  • after: 22 5/8"
Old 12-19-13, 07:33 AM
jmgraham78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ I am assuming that this ultimately helps as you mentioned with a more comfortable ride. My question is does this eliminate the "bottoming out" that many folks speak of? I have been reading and reading thread after thread and over my Christmas break (4 days off) I am going to tackle the rears....

J
Old 12-19-13, 09:31 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jmgraham78
^^ I am assuming that this ultimately helps as you mentioned with a more comfortable ride. My question is does this eliminate the "bottoming out" that many folks speak of? I have been reading and reading thread after thread and over my Christmas break (4 days off) I am going to tackle the rears....

J
Higher ride height in the rear = more room between the rear axle and the bump stops, so yes it will help with bottoming out issues.

I saw another GX470 in the parking lot at the mall the other day, and with both trucks shut off and parked, the rear bumper on this other truck was 1.5" lower than mine, I'm betting that they have bottoming out issues and could stand to re-set the rear ride height sensors like many others have to.
Old 12-19-13, 10:03 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Hey, can you share more specs on your wheels? Love the look. I'd love some TE37s at some point, not sure if they make a GX fitment. I say this because there's a similarity between yours & the TE37s.
Yeah they look very similar to Volks at a much cheaper price.
Wheel specs are below:
  • 18” x 9”
  • 22lbs. (stock chrome wheel weights 26.4lbs)
  • 0mm offset
  • 5” backspace

Originally Posted by jmgraham78

J
Yes it stops the bottoming out or at least it did on my GX. I was bottoming out over a deep dip by my house and sometimes over speed bumps. The deep dip by my house is much better but I still bottom out a little but it's not jolting / jarring like it was before and most every other car bottoms out too since it's a very deep dip. But that dip won't be a problem come this weekend since I'm installing coilovers up front and am going to lift the rear even more.

Speed bumps are no longer a problem.

Originally Posted by IanB2
Higher ride height in the rear = more room between the rear axle and the bump stops, so yes it will help with bottoming out issues.

I saw another GX470 in the parking lot at the mall the other day, and with both trucks shut off and parked, the rear bumper on this other truck was 1.5" lower than mine, I'm betting that they have bottoming out issues and could stand to re-set the rear ride height sensors like many others have to.
That's not always the case though. My GX sat just as high as other GXs (compared measurements from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender flare / wheel well) yet I had bottoming out issues and they didn't. Compared to one mine was slightly higher and I say slightly by a few mm's yet they had no bottoming out issues? I still don't understand why some bottom out and some don't even at the same ride height?

Here's how it sits now:

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GX TODAY?