GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air suspension replacement - labor cost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-15, 07:47 AM
jepva
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air suspension replacement - labor cost?

I've searched and seen all the threads on replacing the rear air suspension with other parts, but haven't seen what quotes from dealers or a repair shop should look like. I know the rear shocks themselves are 400-600 depending on the dealer, but what is book value on the labor? What should I expect to pay for having the rear shocks replaced?

Would it be better to have all the shocks replaced at the same time (the rears need to be placed due to inspection failing)?

Thanks
Old 05-28-15, 09:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

How many miles are on your GX?
Old 05-28-15, 09:27 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

It depends on the shop even though there is a flat rate guide the base it off of. Probably around an hour for each shock on the rear, so 2 hours total at $100 an hour should be $200 total labor costs.

Really, it's a 30 minute job for an experienced technician with a lift to do the rear shocks, but you'll probably be charged 1.5 to 2 hours. Any more than 2 hours labor and you're being ripped off.

The fronts don't have to be replaced because of the rears and there's no reason to do all of them at the same time unless it's just more convenient for you.

Any shop should be able to easily handle the job, I would shop around.

I did a short writeup where I used OEM Toyota shocks for the rear instead of the Lexus ones which saves a lot of money. The parts were only around $80.

Lexus rear shocks with the ride control are considerably more, I think last time I checked they were close to $1000 a piece.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...lacements.html

Last edited by BradTank; 05-28-15 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-28-15, 09:30 AM
vs1979
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed my rear air springs last months and paid $350 per side ($300 air spring + $50 labor); Genuine Factory OEM Parts.
Old 05-28-15, 09:44 AM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by vs1979
I changed my rear air springs last months and paid $350 per side ($300 air spring + $50 labor); Genuine Factory OEM Parts.
I believe the OP was asking about the shocks not the springs, but maybe there's a mix up? Usually the air springs go out before the shocks.

That's a very reasonable rate on the labor to just charge 1 hour. That's what a shop SHOULD charge to swap the rear shocks as it's an even easier job.
Old 05-28-15, 11:01 AM
jepva
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for the help. Finally talked to a local shop, 1.5 hours for the pair book rate for the rear. Fronts are the same. I am not sure of the exact issue yet (long story), only know that it is the rear shocks claimed for replacement. Some dealers are charging 600 each for the rear shock, I've found others online as low as $415 or so. Either way it's going to be $1000 at least if you go OEM.

I've seen threads about using the 4runner shocks, how does it ride after? Is ride height the same? I've wary of going that route since the GX is a good bit heavier than the 4runner and I doubt they were designed to the same spec as for the GX.
Old 05-28-15, 12:13 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by jepva
Thanks all for the help. Finally talked to a local shop, 1.5 hours for the pair book rate for the rear. Fronts are the same. I am not sure of the exact issue yet (long story), only know that it is the rear shocks claimed for replacement. Some dealers are charging 600 each for the rear shock, I've found others online as low as $415 or so. Either way it's going to be $1000 at least if you go OEM.

I've seen threads about using the 4runner shocks, how does it ride after? Is ride height the same? I've wary of going that route since the GX is a good bit heavier than the 4runner and I doubt they were designed to the same spec as for the GX.

Have you had any other issues besides this failed inspection?

I'm personally of the opinion that these state mandated inspections are a joke. I'm glad my state doesn't have them, just another waste of taxpayer money.

I actually had a friend in Virginia where an inspector tried to fail him because of the factory hood scoop on his Mustang, said it was a safety issue. The car was only like 2 years old, completely stock.

You might want to get a 2nd opinion, these guys are usually pretty clueless. I would definitely want in writing what the specific problem is. It could be legit but it could also be a big waste of money.
Old 05-28-15, 12:18 PM
BradTank
Racer

Regarding the ride with the 4Runner shocks, there's been no issues on mine. The shocks don't control the ride height, so it's exactly where it would be with the Lexus shocks. The springs though would be a different issue.

The ride quality is the same. I will say the first few weeks, it was firmer, but they softened out with break in and some of that could be the rears were blown and I was used to a clapped out suspension. The ride now feels stock to me.

I also immediately noticed a HUGE improvement in handling, I no longer felt like I was going to roll out of the car when I made a turn.
Old 05-28-15, 05:20 PM
jepva
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Brad, so you are genuinely happy with the 4runner shocks over the old air suspension? I am also looking at the Suncore conversion kit, I could get the whole kit including new shocks and springs all around for less than the cost of the rear OEM replacement shocks.

I also see that with the 4runner shocks, there are a myriad of aftermarket options (Sachs, Bilstein, Monroe, etc.)

My main concern is keeping stock parameters for ride/comfort and handling and tow ability.
Old 05-28-15, 06:18 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

there are 2 parts to the GX system, shocks all around, and on the front their are springs over the shock and in the rear there are airbags next to the shocks.

the shocks that are special because they are controlled by the comfort sport settings on your console.
If you change to 4runner or aftermarket shocks, the comfort and sport dial will not do anything anymore.

in the front the coils are the same setup as a 4runner, but in the rear there is airbags on the GX vs the 4runner coils. The airbags on the rear are controlled by the hieght settings on your dash (Low/Neutral/High).
If you change out the rear airbags for coils using the conversion kit and 4runner coils (lowers GX a little in rear) or FJ cruiser coils (raises GX a little in rear) or even aftermarket coils (tons of options on height), then you will loose the the height control on your dash then.

lots of people replace all the shocks with aftermarket, and also the rear bags with the coil kit and whatever springs. the ride is usually pretty good but you lose the comfort/sport and the ride height settings, but you can replace those switches with a pocket that holds a cell phone pretty nicely.
Old 05-28-15, 09:01 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by jepva
Thanks Brad, so you are genuinely happy with the 4runner shocks over the old air suspension? I am also looking at the Suncore conversion kit, I could get the whole kit including new shocks and springs all around for less than the cost of the rear OEM replacement shocks.

I also see that with the 4runner shocks, there are a myriad of aftermarket options (Sachs, Bilstein, Monroe, etc.)

My main concern is keeping stock parameters for ride/comfort and handling and tow ability.
Well, just so there's not any confusion, there's the air "bags" that in the GX take the place of what is normally a coiled spring and then there's the shocks.

Some cars with an "air ride" suspension combine the two components into one "air strut", but not on the GX. An example is below

So in my case, I still have the original air "springs" but went with 4Runner shocks.

I'm happy with the 4Runner shocks, my guess is they are probably in the middle of the "sport" to "comfort" setting in terms of ride quality.

The only real advantage to the Lexus OEM rear shocks over a 4Runner style is they have the ability to be adjusted from firm to soft, I personally never really used that feature and my guess is 99% of GX owners don't either. It's more a feature to impress a buyer than something that is used day to day on an SUV.

Last edited by BradTank; 05-28-15 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-29-15, 05:14 AM
jepva
Driver School Candidate

It may be nice to be able to retain the stock settings, but I'm wondering how much of an improvement in handling there really is going from "comfort" to "sport". Reviews of the GX470 criticize the body roll and handling even with the adjustable suspension.

We have a new 2014 GX460, without the air ride, but it has KDSS which really tightens body roll around corners. The OEM shocks themselves are Tokico and I think they are probably similar to the standard 4runner shocks people have been using on here as a replacement.

My suspicions are that the air springs are bad as well, since there appears to be a rear height issue (lower than normal). I am going to try to get in touch with the technician who went over the car to see why he thinks it is the shocks or only shocks, if that's really the case.
Old 05-30-15, 06:15 PM
jepva
Driver School Candidate

*Update..I've confirmed it's just the rear shocks leaking and all that needs replacement at this time after talking to the tech who actually inspected the car.

I finally picked the car up - I was actually purchasing this car from a distance (which is why I couldn't get into details earlier), and I got it at a steep discount due to the work it needs.

I think I will stick with the OEM rear shocks, as even though they are leaking I was impressed with the ride/handling of the car, and wouldn't know there was an issue otherwise. It's definitely not nearly as bad as some people have described on here when their shocks are bad. The springs and compressor for the height adjustment appear and sound to be working just fine.
Old 06-01-15, 12:10 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Yeah the comfort sport settings do make a difference. its not that bad from the factory people who like a stiff ride though will probably complain about it. people who like a soft ride will likely complain about an aftermarket suspension. good you drove it first before deciding, I happen to like mine as well.
Old 06-05-15, 11:14 AM
jepva
Driver School Candidate

I went to a local indy shop and they only charged me $85 to replace both rear shocks. Pretty happy about that. I had called a toyota dealer and they wanted $180 per side, what a joke!

At $85 it wasn't even worth my time to change them myself.

The ride is definitely better with the new shocks, but it's not really a big difference. If we didn't have a stupid inspection process in VA that failed them for a small leak, I probably would not have replaced them.

Quick Reply: Air suspension replacement - labor cost?