GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What did you do to your GX TODAY?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-15, 10:36 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

100k, yours is just getting broken in. you have another few 100k to be up there =)

Mine has about 250k on it and runs perfect.
Kingphillip gave you excellent advice, always do o2 sensors with your timing belt service and your car will be running in its best form.

o2 sensors only have a 60-100k service interval anyways, and almost never set off the check engine light until years of giving you bad gas mileage have gone by. you only need to do the upstream ones for performance and mpg's. rears only if you get the codes for them and a reset doesn't make them go away and stay away.
Old 05-29-15, 10:54 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have 3 out of 4 original O2 sensors in my GS300 with 152,000 miles. I keep throttle body clean and run Redline si-1 in it with 93octane Shell gas. The GS350 has 105,000 and never had any issues there either.
Old 05-29-15, 12:59 PM
djkicks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good to know. thanks.

I've had my GX probably longer than any other vehicle...except maybe my Land Rover Disco...but we won't talk about that here on the Lexus site. lol
Old 06-01-15, 12:15 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

burny why would you have 3 of the original 4 o2 sensors after 150k, the best o2 sensors on the market only last 100k, and by that amount of time you are usually taking a 10-15% hit in gas mileage.
http://www.autohausaz.com/html/emiss...n_sensors.html

also , you don't want to change just 1 o2 sensor if its the main upstream ones the engine uses for adjusting fueling, its a bad idea. basically half of your motor is running with the right air fuel ratio, and the other half would have a richer air fuel ratio. o2 sensors should be changed in pairs to keep things in balance. whenever you get a code for 1 upstream o2, you should change both, because likely they were both changed at the same time before (or both could be original), and if one is toast, well the other is basically toast too, just not enough to trip the check engine light but its certainly not operating like a new one.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-01-15 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-01-15, 01:32 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

pintle hitch installed... part guy at local lexus dealer was shocked i sourced one.. he said they stopped getting them...

Name:  20150527_125136_zps7ius9bxd.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  134.6 KB

Name:  20150527_144039_zpstgwelyfx.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  138.7 KB

Name:  20150527_144210_zpsgc9uwhzd.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  134.1 KB
Old 06-02-15, 07:49 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by kamlung
pintle hitch installed... part guy at local lexus dealer was shocked i sourced one.. he said they stopped getting them...

Looks good, what do you plan on hooking onto it?

FYI, this is a "pintle" hitch, some you can put a ball in place of the lower jaw, but it's the jaw style hitch that's called a pintle, not the crossmember attachment style. The trailer side of a pintle setup is a metal hoop that fits into the jaw, popular in construction and other commercial uses, lots of articulation without binding. You've got a 2" receiver hitch there.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your GX TODAY?-207837_ts.jpg  
Old 06-02-15, 11:08 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Yeah, Lexus named it wrong.

The pintle hitch is also very common on military vehicles because of the free articulation they can do.

Chip H.
Old 06-02-15, 01:46 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
Looks good, what do you plan on hooking onto it?
trailer to tow the toys for me and some of my buddies...

Name:  IMG_2161_zpswlbubieg.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  32.2 KB

but ill mostly use it on family road trips to put luggage on a cargo carrier when the inside of the truck is full of people... something like this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ier-92655.html

Originally Posted by chiph9
Yeah, Lexus named it wrong.
yea I was just using the name that Lexus gave it to try and eliminate confusion...
Old 06-02-15, 03:33 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
burny why would you have 3 of the original 4 o2 sensors after 150k, the best o2 sensors on the market only last 100k, and by that amount of time you are usually taking a 10-15% hit in gas mileage.
http://www.autohausaz.com/html/emiss...n_sensors.html

also , you don't want to change just 1 o2 sensor if its the main upstream ones the engine uses for adjusting fueling, its a bad idea. basically half of your motor is running with the right air fuel ratio, and the other half would have a richer air fuel ratio. o2 sensors should be changed in pairs to keep things in balance. whenever you get a code for 1 upstream o2, you should change both, because likely they were both changed at the same time before (or both could be original), and if one is toast, well the other is basically toast too, just not enough to trip the check engine light but its certainly not operating like a new one.
I have no fuel issues. Techstream tells me all 4 are fine. No check engine lights and no performance issues. I'm happy
Old 06-08-15, 04:40 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
I have no fuel issues. Techstream tells me all 4 are fine. No check engine lights and no performance issues. I'm happy
Mine are original as well with 140k. I average 17.1mpg in the summer driving 8 miles round trip to work. I'm not sure he's actually familiar with how air/fuel sensors work, they have a much longer life expectancy than 100k.
Old 06-09-15, 10:31 PM
StVeronus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bedded in the brakes from this weekends brake upgrade (EBC Slotted/Dimpled Sport rotors x4 and EBC Greenstuff 7000 & 6000 pads). Could use a bleeding, so that is tomorrows task.
Old 06-10-15, 09:15 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

So you get 17 mpg on old o2 sensors and that is enough to tell me your o2 sensors must be good, and also that I am probably not familiar with how a air fuel sensor works. Thats some pretty good diagnostic skills there buddy, your evidence is um, well subjective.

I could bore you guys for days about the difference between narrowband o2 sensors and the newer wideband air fuel ratio sensors. I am fully aware of all the technical differences between the 2, and if you were too you would realize they are made out of essentially the same sensor but one has a gas pump to stabilize the output voltage so it doesn't switch like the older ones. this in no way makes the o2 sensor last longer, if anything it would last the same or less time due to the continuous output vs switching.

air fuel sensors do not have a longer life expectancy than 100k, and to be honest they go weak after 70-80k but no one changes them then. technically its supossed to be done with the timing belt and that varies from 60-120k depending on how much the person cares and what the car calls for.

and I never said they wouldn't work at 150k, they just aren't working efficiently like a new one would.
please keep your old sensors if it makes you happy, try 200k since you guys don't think they don't wear out like a normal sensor, heck maybe even push 300k, cause it works 100% until the light comes on right?? (not really though).

the recommended interval is still 100k no matter what your scanner tells you which has a really basic trip detection logic where the sensor must basically be inoperable to throw the code.
as the sensor wears out the output voltage will decrease until eventually it bottoms out the ecu's trip detection logic. emphasis on eventually.

Let use a beer analogy. lets say if you drink 10 beers you are drunk.
what happens when you have drank 9 beers? would you say you are just as efficient as when you had no beers in your system? if you did it would be hard to believe cause after one more beer you would be drunk.
you can technically say you are not drunk though, but you can't say you are operating with 100% efficiency.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-10-15 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-10-15, 09:59 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ali - do you have the part # for a 2009 and best place to source them from?

I'm about to get 120k mile service done by an indie including oil and transmission fluid change so will get this done too. I experienced a sudden hit from 18 to 14 mpg around 100k miles for no reason. I've replaced the spark plugs, throttle cleaned and air filter replaced but did not notice any difference. I'll try your suggestion and see what happens.
Old 06-10-15, 12:54 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I don't have the part number off the top of my head but I recently posted in another thread that had the infor listed it should be on the first page in this forum here about o2 sensors, it should be the same for all years as long as you have a gx470. there are 2 primary sensors though and they have different part numbers for left and right sides (length of wire is usually different not the sensor itself). for gas mileage you want to replace the upstream/primary/ pre-cat ones. the secondary or post cat o2 sensor can be replaced when you get the code, you dont have to change these as often because they are only used to see if the cat is still working and do not affect how the car runs.
Old 06-10-15, 02:34 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Just chiming in with Ali; it's the same with spark plug wires, those won't throw a code unless the terminals are completely corroded or a wire is completely severed. But if you check the resistance of each wire if it's up to spec, after a 100k miles or so, it won't be in spec, or some wouldn't be. Bottom line is, the dealer or company have a guideline of when or how many miles every part breakdown that's why they have a to do list of recommended maintenance, and all this info is gathered from 100's of thousands of miles they test drive these vehicles. Makes me wonder how some of you guys would maintain older vehicles that doesn't have OBD sensors.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GX TODAY?