GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What did you do to your GX TODAY?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-13, 11:10 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
That's not always the case though. My GX sat just as high as other GXs (compared measurements from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender flare / wheel well) yet I had bottoming out issues and they didn't. Compared to one mine was slightly higher and I say slightly by a few mm's yet they had no bottoming out issues? I still don't understand why some bottom out and some don't even at the same ride height?

Here's how it sits now:
Looks to sit very similar to mine, rear slightly taller than the front. I'll try and snap a current pic of mine and post it up as well. The 265/70/17 tires I'm running fill out the wheel wells very nicely, are you also running slightly oversize tires? Your truck looks great, love the white!
Old 12-19-13, 12:21 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
Looks to sit very similar to mine, rear slightly taller than the front. I'll try and snap a current pic of mine and post it up as well.
That would be nice to get some ideas of how other stock GXs sit.

When I installed the rear Bilsteins I took some measurements and the rear of my GX is almost exactly where it should be per Lexus specs so I don't know why I was bottoming out? My sensors are fine, my airbags hold air, my rear stock shocks were bad and I was hoping the Bilsteins alone would take care of the bottom out but they didn't.

Anyway here's the measurements;

MY MEASUREMENTS
  • C (14.875") - D (11.3125") = 3.56" | Per Lexus it should be 3.04"
  • ** I'm running 1" larger diameter tires so if you deduct 0.50" from 3.56" above I'm at 3.06" which is 0.51mm higher than the stock spec

The 265/70/17 tires I'm running fill out the wheel wells very nicely, are you also running slightly oversize tires?
Yes, I'm running tires that are 1" larger in diameter than our stock tires.

Your truck looks great, love the white!
Thanks!
Old 12-20-13, 06:49 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Did an oilchange last night, noticed the boot on one of my CV joints is leaking grease. Guess I'll ad that to my Christmas list, lol.

Do you need to do an alignment after changing a CV on these trucks?
Old 12-20-13, 10:30 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Did an oilchange last night, noticed the boot on one of my CV joints is leaking grease. Guess I'll ad that to my Christmas list, lol.
-Is it leaking at the clamp or from the actual accordion part?

Do you need to do an alignment after changing a CV on these trucks?
-I don't think so but I could be wrong.

I did this....

Old 12-20-13, 12:59 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

I did this....

That is 7 different kinds of sexy!
Old 12-20-13, 01:03 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

That is 7 different kinds of sexy!
thanks.

I'm loving it. It's like a whole new GX!
Old 12-20-13, 01:10 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

thanks.

I'm loving it. It's like a whole new GX!
How did the ride change? Firmer? Harsher? Bodyroll? I'm guessing you can tune these to do whatever you'd like, but still thought I'd ask.
Old 12-20-13, 01:43 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

How did the ride change? Firmer? Harsher? Bodyroll? I'm guessing you can tune these to do whatever you'd like, but still thought I'd ask.
I'll just copy and paste from my other thread but no, no body roll or nose dive even at the softest setting.

"The ride, all I can say is WOW, the Icons soak up bumps like they're not even there. I rode around town and on the beltway and they performed great at lower and at higher speeds. Being 2 1/2" higher it feels weird not seeing the hood slope down from the drivers seat anymore. I pulled over numerous times to change the CDC setting and here's my opinion;

S is the softest setting. It's VERY plush and literally feels like you're riding on air. I've never rode on new GX shocks but I can bet they're not as plush as this! You can't feel any bumps they just soak them right up yet you don't get that squishy / squirmy / floaty feeling what so ever. I then tried H and it was way too firm and really unpleasant. I didn't even drive 1/2 mile before I switched it to a lower setting. I'd personally never use the H setting. I then tried 6 and while it was much better than H it was still a little too firm. I took it down to 4, which if you order standard Icon coilovers without the CDC valve that's what they feel like. It was nice and firm, not too firm though and was very drivable but I want the Lexus plush ride, so I tried 2 and perfection!! It soaks up bumps just like S but it's not as soft but still VERY plush, it's like the road is made of marshmallows. The compression is nice and soft and the rebound is quick so there's no floating feeling at all."
Old 12-27-13, 10:41 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

...made an appointment this Sunday to have my GX clayed, compounded, polished and waxed. Also getting a full interior detail done too.

And since my wife and kids are in Virginia for the week I'm having a maid service come in Monday and do a "full detail" in our home. She is going to be so surprised.
Old 12-27-13, 04:20 PM
jmgraham78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is soooo odd to see a detail done this time of year, but I realized your in FL. I am in Seattle, and the GX is in full winter mode.... (interior nice and clean, exterior.... not so much)

Enjoy the detail(s)!
Old 12-27-13, 06:40 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jmgraham78
it is soooo odd to see a detail done this time of year, but I realized your in FL. I am in Seattle, and the GX is in full winter mode.... (interior nice and clean, exterior.... not so much)

Enjoy the detail(s)!
Yep I'm in Florida. Even though it's "Winter" next week it's going to be in the low 80s.
Old 12-27-13, 10:31 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did this....

Wish I could buy another GX and do this. So nice.
Old 12-28-13, 03:19 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by infinirx
Wish I could buy another GX and do this. So nice.
How's the Prius?
Old 12-28-13, 05:27 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocks
How's the Prius?
Hahaha it's great, but I don't have the $$ to mod it so it's boring lol!! The GX was never really boring stock. All aside the 3rd Gen Prius is a great car. Just miss the V8, drive height, and luxury of the GX. Just not the $500 a month in Gas.
Old 01-10-14, 07:32 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Last night I changed all the differential and transfer case oils with Shell Spirax 75w90 synthetic, I bought a 5ga pail of it so I have enough left over to do my '93 Land Cruiser when it arrives in summer. Used all new crush washers from Toyota. Also greased the zerks in the driveline, except one that's too tight to get my grease gun nozzle onto, right by the TC. I'm going to have to buy an adapter of some sort to get that one next time. I'm kicking myself for not remembering to rotate the tires while I had it all up on jackstands, I'm trying to do them every 5,000kms, but I'm pouring on the kms it seems, and that's more frequent than I'm changing the oil, lol.

Went pretty smoothly, other than a snapped off bolt on the rear skidplate when I was doing the front diff, doh.

Afterwards, I find the center diff locks and unlocks quicker with the new oil in there. The TC was still sort of golden looking, but the diffs were black and stinky, with lots of crud on the drainplug magnets, I'm guessing the fluid was original and the truck has 158,XXXkms on it, it was way overdue.

I'd like to drain & fill the tranny fluid as it's going to be original as well, but I understand it's a tricky process compared to most, and these units are very sensitive to the level. Anyone have a DIY for that? The PO towed with this truck, so I'm sure it could stand to be freshened up.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GX TODAY?