GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-11, 04:55 PM
dcurcio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires

I am getting new tires for my GX and was wondering what are some of the better but not too expensive types?
Old 10-19-11, 08:23 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Search is your friend. Try it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...tude-tour.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...alk-tires.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...new-tires.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...x-a-t-2-a.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-ltx-m-s2.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-08-gx470.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...on-the-gx.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ing-tires.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ler-840-a.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...omparison.html
Old 10-20-11, 07:16 PM
dcurcio
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help. My GX came with Dunlops but I wasn't very happy with them. Shop wants to put Yokohama's on. Any thoughts on these. They are supposedly have a much better rating than the Dunlop.
Old 10-21-11, 08:39 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's my take from what I've read over the past few months.

Popular tires for the GX are:

Michellins (Cross terrains, latitude, etc.)
BFGoodRich ATs
Yokohama Geolanders
Dunlop ???

There probably others but I don't recall. I'm having tires put on my GX today. I decided to go with the Nitto Crossteks - I read their a new line that was made available in January of this year and its had some pretty good reviews. With the Buy One Get One Free offer from NTB, I decided to go for it. I originally had my heart set on the Michellins but the cost of $1,000 to put on 4 new tires, mounting, balancing and alignment made it a tough pill to swallow. I'm getting the Crossteks for $700 (everything included). I bought a set of 18" limited rims for the crossteks to go and will sell my oem. In the end I'll get a new set of wheels for under $1K.

Let me know what you decided on.
Old 10-21-11, 10:22 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

[QUOTE=kphu;6768312]Here's my take from what I've read over the past few months.

Popular tires for the GX are:

Michellins (Cross terrains, latitude, etc.)
BFGoodRich ATs
Yokohama Geolanders
Dunlop ???

There probably others but I don't recall. I'm having tires put on my GX today. I decided to go with the Nitto Crossteks - I read their a new line that was made available in January of this year and its had some pretty good reviews. With the Buy One Get One Free offer from NTB, I decided to go for it. I originally had my heart set on the Michellins but the cost of $1,000 to put on 4 new tires, mounting, balancing and alignment made it a tough pill to swallow. I'm getting the Crossteks for $700 (everything included). I bought a set of 18" limited rims for the crossteks to go and will sell my oem. In the end I'll get a new set of wheels for under $1K.

Gt the michelin LTX/MS 2's for a little over 800, mounted, balance, tax. Have about 8k on them, extremely quiet, great dry and wet, can't speak for snow yet.
Old 10-21-11, 11:21 AM
brycejaq
Driver

I put a full set of GoodYear Forterra TripleTred tires on my wifes' GX back in December of 09. We've already put 30k miles on them and they still have well over 60% of really good tred on them. Not sure about noise & ride harshness levels, because our freeways here in Spokane, WA really blow anyways, but they definitely do justice off road, on sand & in the winter through all depths of snow and even on ice.

Definitely well worth the over a grand we spent on them back in 09 (which included the mount, balance, road hazard, etc etc etc) all through Sears.

Based on what I just researched, they're pretty much the same price today (on tirerack.com) incl shipping and all that garabage, as they were 2 years ago from Sears. They're really an excellent All-Season tire for the GX.
Old 10-21-11, 12:38 PM
dcurcio
Driver School Candidate

The shop called and said that the yokohama tires were not delivered but they had delivered hankook instead. He wanted to know if this was acceptable. I told him I would wait for the Yoko's. I did hear that the Hankook would give a rougher ride....sigh
Old 10-21-11, 06:15 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Gt the michelin LTX/MS 2's for a little over 800, mounted, balance, tax. Have about 8k on them, extremely quiet, great dry and wet, can't speak for snow yet.
Too late....I got the Nitto's on today. Looks damn nice!!! I'll post a thread when I get a chance to take some pics.

The LTX/MS2 are priced at $243/tire at NTB, with alignment, balance, tire disposal fee and tax it'll run me about $1,250.

Last edited by kphu; 10-21-11 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-22-11, 12:59 PM
dcurcio
Driver School Candidate

Ok, so after the shop called and said they wanted to switch the tires I had originally wanted (Yoko) I told them no I would wait until they came in, but to go ahead and do the brakes and rotors as originally planned. I dropped the truck of first thing in the morning and when I went back in the afternoon they still hadn't even looked at my vehicle yet!!! So now I am on a quest again for a good deal on tires and brakes because I REFUSE to give them my business (

I have now missed a day of work and many days of shopping for the right place/price. Very unprofessional.
Old 10-22-11, 07:34 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcurcio
Ok, so after the shop called and said they wanted to switch the tires I had originally wanted (Yoko) I told them no I would wait until they came in, but to go ahead and do the brakes and rotors as originally planned. I dropped the truck of first thing in the morning and when I went back in the afternoon they still hadn't even looked at my vehicle yet!!! So now I am on a quest again for a good deal on tires and brakes because I REFUSE to give them my business (

I have now missed a day of work and many days of shopping for the right place/price. Very unprofessional.
Couple of suggestions:

1. Buy the pads at Toyota dealership and install them yourself.

2. After replacing brakes (yourself or at the shop), make sure to "bed" the brakes for optimal performance.

3. When looking for a place to install your tires, make sure the shop performs Roadforce balancing using Hunter GSP9700 machine.

4. Consider getting all 5 tires replaced. You'll be able to rotate all 5 tires, that will extend their useful life. Also, you won't have to worry about running to different tires on the same transaxle if you deploy a spare. And another reason for replacing all 5 tires - how OLD is your spare tire???

Do some research on line and read the reviews on the forums and sites that sell tires. Also consider the conditions that you will encounter and the type of driving.
Old 10-23-11, 09:48 AM
DallasGX
Rookie

discount tires. Michelin latitudes great comfortable tires and they have road force balance machine. excellent service too.
Old 10-23-11, 10:45 AM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DallasGX
discount tires. Michelin latitudes great comfortable tires and they have road force balance machine. excellent service too.
While I never installed my tires at Discount Tire shop, I bought 2 sets of tires from them over the years, and their service is great.

Same thing goes for the Tirerack.com, with the only excpetion that Tirerack charges shipping, and Discount Tire shipped at no extra cost.

dcurcio, you dont have to have the tires bought and installed at the same place. I bought 5 Michelin LTX M/S2 from Sears and had them installed and RoadForce balanced by my Lexus dealer for $20 a tire. At that price Lexus was cheaper than the anyone else in Central NJ with RF balance.

Check with your dealer, in many instances they will match prices.
Old 10-24-11, 08:48 AM
dcurcio
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all so much for your advice, it's truly appreciated.

I am a single girl so the chances of me changing the brakes or tires myself are slim...especially because I don't have any of the equipment needed

It seems to me a lot of people are happy with the Michelin tires. I am going to call around and see what the prices are for these tires....or are they only from Michelin. Sorry, I don't know a lot about this.

Great advice about the break pads, but I'm not sure what it means to bed them. That's a term I'm going to have to google lol.

Off on my tire and brake quest. Have a great day!!
Old 10-30-11, 12:47 PM
rbx10
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the MIchelin Cross Terrain , and they're EXCELLENT !!!
Good luck.
-rbx10
Old 10-30-11, 08:59 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Deb, it is good to know that you have asked from the CL owners reviews who have ridden on various tires,than trusting websites giving fake reviews or tire retailers trying hard to push non OE ( Original Equipment ) tires at a cheaper price and saying these are the best. and I am sure bar none and CL GX Members would vouch for the Michelins and Bridgestone. Trust us they are the best in the industry and especially for GX, you will never regret it. Hope the information was helpful and best of luck with your tire purchase decision

Quick Reply: tires