GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Buying a GX470

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 05:01 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Buying a GX470

I'm considering buying a 2006 GX470 with 82k miles from a non-lexus dealer.

I went to take a look at it, but by the time I got to the dealer they closed so I was only able to visualy inspect it from outside. One thing that concerned me was that both rear tires were bald on the inside edge. What could be the reason for this? The rear tires also have significantly less tread than the fronts but the inside endges are completely bald.

Based on the Carfax report the owner had a trailer hitch installed about a year ago. Could the rear tire wear be due to the excessive weight that the car may have towed? Should I be concerned about the shocks & springs? Here is the Carfax report for this vehicle:
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=CDM_U

If I proceed with buying this car once I test drive it, I'm going to ask them to replace all four tires and do an alignment. But I also want to make sure that I don't end up with a big expense like replacing rear suspension. Please let me know if there are any tips to verify the cause of inside wear of rear tires.

Also, please let me know what you think about the Service history based on the Carfax report. Do you think it has been well maintained? Is there anything in there that is of a concern?

Thanks.
Old 10-18-11, 09:16 AM
Drew903
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I would check if the ride height can be changed to all settings, High, neutral, and Low. Also ask about the accident the first owner had. All my door panels and front and rear fenders have Lexus stickers on them, you can tell they are not new, or look for over spray on the body or other plastic pieces. Also I wonder if the 60K service was done. You might want to ask the Lexus dealer or go online and use the VIN number and check yourself. That one is a lot of money if they had it done at Lexus. Looks like they are asking over retail so I would make sure it's perfect for that price. Tires are somewhere between $800 and $1000.00. It's a sweet ride just try and make sure to get the right one and you'll be happy for a long time to come.
Old 10-18-11, 09:26 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i would definitely recommend buying one of these but not this particular one.

just on my own preference, I would walk away from this particular vehicle because 1) it was a fleet vehicle which means who knows how it was treated and 2) reported accident.

I would look around some more.

Good luck with the search, its fun yet painful at the same time.

Also, i would recommend finding one that's a certified pre-owned.
Old 10-18-11, 09:49 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Drew903
Well, I would check if the ride height can be changed to all settings, High, neutral, and Low. Also ask about the accident the first owner had. All my door panels and front and rear fenders have Lexus stickers on them, you can tell they are not new, or look for over spray on the body or other plastic pieces. Also I wonder if the 60K service was done. You might want to ask the Lexus dealer or go online and use the VIN number and check yourself. That one is a lot of money if they had it done at Lexus. Looks like they are asking over retail so I would make sure it's perfect for that price. Tires are somewhere between $800 and $1000.00. It's a sweet ride just try and make sure to get the right one and you'll be happy for a long time to come.
Thanks for your response.

Please let me know how I can check the ride height...where the controls are. Would I feel the ride go up and down?

Good idea about verifying if the panels are original by looking at the stickers and signs of overspray. I can check all four doors, but where would I find the sticker on the front and rear fenders?

How can I check online what service was performed? I recall someone mentioning it on the forum, but when I did a search I didn't get results with a link for it.

How do you know that the dealer is asking over retail? Is $24,740 too high? Here is the car ad:
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national
Old 10-18-11, 09:52 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kphu

just on my own preference, I would walk away from this particular vehicle because 1) it was a fleet vehicle which means who knows how it was treated and 2) reported accident.

Yeah, I'm not feeling very confident about this one either but it seems to have everything that I'm looking for. Looks very nice also. But, I guess the most important thing is that it is OK structurally and mechanically.

I would love to get certified, but they are out of my budget. I'm looking for something around $25k

Thanks.
Old 10-18-11, 10:02 AM
Drew903
Driver School Candidate

There is a switch by the by the seat warmers to change the height control, yes you can feel it and see it.

When you open the doors and hood you should see the Lexus stickers.

secure.drivers.lexus.com

$24K doesn't seem to high it's just what the carfax said. But I would think they would put new tires on for that cost. However I expect perfect or very close.
Old 10-18-11, 12:46 PM
meyer65
Driver School Candidate

I Agree with what is said here. Skip vehicles with reported accident. Most accidents are never reported which leads me to believe it may have been substantial.

Also, these GXs are all created basically equal. It's not like options are hard to find like with other types of cars (with the exception of KDSS). I would hold off until you found the right one... even a 300-400 mile trip for the right one doesn't seem absurd to me. Use cars.com and craigslist to hone in on one. Just my $.02
Old 10-18-11, 02:05 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Matsui
Yeah, I'm not feeling very confident about this one either but it seems to have everything that I'm looking for. Looks very nice also. But, I guess the most important thing is that it is OK structurally and mechanically.

I would love to get certified, but they are out of my budget. I'm looking for something around $25k

Thanks.
I paid $29,500 for mine about 5 yrs ago with 32K on the odom and it was CPO from lexus dealership. After I bought it I complained about the wheels peeling and also had some peeling on my clearcoat on a small section...they replaced the wheels and resprayed the clearcoat for free.

I'm sure you can find one for about $25K!
Old 10-18-11, 02:12 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by meyer65
I Agree with what is said here. Skip vehicles with reported accident. Most accidents are never reported which leads me to believe it may have been substantial.

Also, these GXs are all created basically equal. It's not like options are hard to find like with other types of cars (with the exception of KDSS). I would hold off until you found the right one... even a 300-400 mile trip for the right one doesn't seem absurd to me. Use cars.com and craigslist to hone in on one. Just my $.02
I just did a search via cars.com and found quite a few under $25K within 75 miles of baltimore maryland (not sure where your at), they might not be CPO but I would definitely look around.

I hope to see you as a proud new owner of a GX soon so I can say WELCOME TO CL! Good luck with the search.
Old 10-18-11, 08:27 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Drew903
There is a switch by the by the seat warmers to change the height control, yes you can feel it and see it.

When you open the doors and hood you should see the Lexus stickers.

secure.drivers.lexus.com

$24K doesn't seem to high it's just what the carfax said. But I would think they would put new tires on for that cost. However I expect perfect or very close.
Thanks for the link. Looks like I'll have to register to see service history.
Based on the feedback I've received here, I think I'll skip on this one and wait until i find one that doesn't have issues to begin with.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-11, 08:31 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Originally Posted by meyer65

I think I may have to expand my search to larger radius. Unlike most other cars, there aren't too many GX in the market. So finding one with options that I'm looking for (such as black/ivory, nav, mark levinson, spoiler, good service history, under $25k)...takes a lot of patience and its already been over a month now
Old 10-18-11, 08:34 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

I paid $29,500 for mine about 5 yrs ago with 32K on the odom and it was CPO from lexus dealership. After I bought it I complained about the wheels peeling and also had some peeling on my clearcoat on a small section...they replaced the wheels and resprayed the clearcoat for free.

I'm sure you can find one for about $25K!
Wow, that's an awesome deal you got there. I'm continuously searching and hoping I find something that I can jump on. I haven't come across any that felt just right.
Old 10-18-11, 08:39 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

I just did a search via cars.com and found quite a few under $25K within 75 miles of baltimore maryland (not sure where your at), they might not be CPO but I would definitely look around.

I hope to see you as a proud new owner of a GX soon so I can say WELCOME TO CL! Good luck with the search.
Yes, there are a few out there but none with options that I'm looking for. I will keep on looking until I find the right one.

Thanks for the welcome. I've been on the forum for a while and was a frequent visitor when I had a 94 LS for a while which I drove until 280k miles. After that I got another make and I've been on another forum constantly.

This car will be for my wife, but I'll be the one taking care of it
Old 10-19-11, 08:49 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Matsui
...This car will be for my wife, but I'll be the one taking care of it
I know how that this...the GX is my wife's. I have a GS and I take care of both cars as well.
Old 10-23-11, 06:53 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

MATSUI...check out this thread on a KDSS GX470 on ebay...its damn nice ride!!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...y-10-23-a.html

or go directly to the ebay listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...SS%3AUS%3A1123

Quick Reply: Buying a GX470