GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Help with RSES / rear seat entertainment system

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-11, 12:43 AM
Lendaddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with RSES / rear seat entertainment system

Just purchased a 2005 GX470, it's perfect except for the RSES which it appears will not turn on. When I got it from the dealer they said that the "circuit board" was likely bad and was not cheap. I'll assume they meant the Rear Seat Entertainment ECU from what I've researched. A few notes:

The battery in the remote is good

I don't know if the remote itself is actually functioning however, but Ill assume it is as they had 7 other GX's on the lot and imagine they tried a different remote themselves.

The screen does not come on at all, I press the "source" button on the remote as it says in the manual and nothing happens.

I see in my service history that the DVD screen was replaced under warranty a couple years ago.

I'm not sure if the rest of the RSES works as I haven't gotten that far but will check shortly. By this I mean the head phones and the ability to listen to the radio through them.

So...anyone have any idea what the issue may be?

Is there a unique fuse for just the RSES? Where is it if so?

Where is the RSES ECU in the event I want to check it out/replace it.

Is there an online source for diagnosing the RSES system? I found one for toyota but I doubt it's the same.

Any other advice on what the problem might be is greatly appreciated! Thx in advance for your help and time.
Old 10-06-11, 02:10 AM
Lendaddy
Driver School Candidate

Ok,the remote is transmitting. I found a pretty cool tip online that to check an IR remote like these you just watch the "eye" of the remote through your digital camera or phone cam while pressing the buttons and it will glow blue when transmitting. I tried it and it works, neat stuff. So that's not likely the problem.
Old 10-06-11, 02:27 AM
Lendaddy
Driver School Candidate

And further still, there is power to the actual DVD player in the center console. The eject button is illuminated. So if the DVD unit shares the same fuse as the screen then I can assume its not a power supply question. Anyone know for certain?
Old 10-07-11, 03:13 AM
Lendaddy
Driver School Candidate

In the event this cannot be resolved, what are my options to replace the entire rear entertainment system? I was/am under the impression that the rear system is connected to the front so I'll assume any aftermarket system would probably be a standalone unit and not interact with the front screen/radio system? Or is that incorrect?
Old 10-09-11, 09:09 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Len, Have you started any diagnostics, if not just let us know the GX you own does it have with or without Navigation, then we get straight to the Diagnostics and for sure we would know where the trouble it, and We can start troubshooting from there on.
This may surprise you, I started with my remote, which the battery was working, but to my surprise I was told by the Dealer it should be 3.0V and not 3.5V I replaced minbe and boom it was working.. So make sure you have the right volt. The GX remote would not activate the RSE if the volt is higher. Do check that also.
Old 10-10-11, 12:03 AM
Lendaddy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply.

I have not started any diagnostics yet, but I have the next couple of days off and will dig into it now.

Yes the GX has Nav. I tested the battery and I believe it did read 3.5V and that was (again I believe) the listed voltage on the battery itself. I will double check that it is not an incorrect battery, thx.

I'll post my results tomorrow. I should add again that the dealer was convinced it was the ECU if that is the case, are they repairable? Are they available? What is the P/N? Thx agian

Last edited by Lendaddy; 10-10-11 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-27-11, 03:11 PM
Lendaddy
Driver School Candidate

Finally got a chance to do some diagnostics, any help is appreciated.

1) The rear DVD/CD player works,if you load a CD it will play the audio. The remote does not work at all so it just auto plays starting with track one. If you plug in earbuds back there you can listen. I could not get it through the wireless headsets (though I'm not sure how those "connect" so may that would work if I knew what I was doing). As it stands I just get static through the wireless headsets.

2) There is power to the DVD screen up top, I took it out, checked the circuit board for obvious bad solder connections, etc and found none. The green wire in the main connector up there has 12+ volts.

Does any of this clue you guys as to the problem?
Old 10-27-11, 04:27 PM
Lendaddy
Driver School Candidate

I also tried a new battery (proper CR2025 lithium) and no luck there either.
Old 10-29-11, 09:55 AM
mann777

Default Basic Troubleshooting Method for Audio/Video on Lexus

Try this method, this is this is the troubleshooting for Audio/Video by Lexus Techs. If this does not help, let us know, We will have to go one step further. Hope the first step resolve your issue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Audio Quick Reference Guide.pdf (178.2 KB, 1171 views)
Old 10-30-11, 02:57 PM
Lendaddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mann777
Try this method, this is this is the troubleshooting for Audio/Video by Lexus Techs. If this does not help, let us know, We will have to go one step further. Hope the first step resolve your issue.

I appreciate your help, however this attachment appears to only cover basic audio issues with the main system, video and/or RSES systems are not even mentioned. Is there another .pdf addressing the video/RSES system diagnostics? Thanks again!
Old 10-30-11, 08:44 PM
mann777

Ok here is one for the RSES, troubleshooting. cheers
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 10-30-11, 11:03 PM
Lendaddy
Driver School Candidate

That is fantastic, thanks much!!! I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 08-28-14, 08:22 PM
arthbkins
Driver School Candidate

Do you happen to have this same RSES troubleshooting manual for the LX470?