GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2004 Lexus GX470 No sound from radio, help

Old 07-31-11, 02:34 PM
Crip2expre
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Lexus GX470 No sound from radio, help

Hey, i own a 2004 lexus gx 470 and i am having some audio issues. The stereo system is the standard Mark Levinson speaker system. When i turn on my car, i can cycle through the different radio stations and cds, but there is no receiving audio coming from the speakers. I think it may be an amplifier problem, but i also don't know where to locate the amp or how to get my radio to work again. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Also, i have tried holding the audio button while cycling my taillights on and off 3 times, but nothing shows up on the screen. My radio has not been working for about a year now.
Old 08-03-11, 07:28 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Crip2expre
Hey, i own a 2004 lexus gx 470 and i am having some audio issues. The stereo system is the standard Mark Levinson speaker system. When i turn on my car, i can cycle through the different radio stations and cds, but there is no receiving audio coming from the speakers. I think it may be an amplifier problem, but i also don't know where to locate the amp or how to get my radio to work again. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Also, i have tried holding the audio button while cycling my taillights on and off 3 times, but nothing shows up on the screen. My radio has not been working for about a year now.
Cycling your taillights????? Take it to the dealership already..1 year without audio sound???
Old 08-15-11, 09:23 PM
espieric
Driver School Candidate

try looking under the driver seat with regards to the location of the amps. any luck with regards to the diagnosis/repair on this kind of an audio problem? what do you mean cycling your taillights to remedy this problem?

Last edited by espieric; 08-15-11 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-17-11, 11:37 AM
Crip2expre
Driver School Candidate

I've read somewhere on a previous post that holding audio and cycling the tail lights on and off 3 times would check if there was a connection at all to the amplifier, but i guess it wasn't valid. Anyways, I actually haven't checked under the driver's seat yet, i am actually going to do that now after i post this.

The thing is, my family was thinking about trading in the lexus in maybe about 2-3 years... so i'm not sure whether or not i want to spend that $1000 for a new radio (or maybe just to fix some loose wiring). Btw thanks for the help espieric
Old 08-17-11, 11:55 AM
Crip2expre
Driver School Candidate

Update: I've checked every wire under the driver's seat and driver steering wheel and haven't found any loose wires. But to be honest, I have no idea what i am looking at... lol.
Old 08-18-11, 07:35 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Crip2expre
Update: I've checked every wire under the driver's seat and driver steering wheel and haven't found any loose wires. But to be honest, I have no idea what i am looking at... lol.
I would check and see if there is a fuse associated with the amplifier. If your radio/Nav powers on than it would be the amplifier/speaker system.
Old 08-18-11, 10:13 PM
Crip2expre
Driver School Candidate

To be very honest, i have no idea where the amplifier is and how the wiring works in the car... when it comes to electrical wiring of anything, it becomes my downfall. :\
Old 08-19-11, 06:10 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crip, stop horsing around. Make a trip to your local library and from their computer you can log onto alldata and you will have at that point as much info about your car as your local Lexus dealer. If you don't know how, just ask for help at the desk and the liberarian with turn it on for you. Open the internet, go to research data and click on automotive repair. Then pick your year, brand, model, engine and you are there. All printable with wiring schematics, step by step repairs with pictures!
Good luck, Bernard
Old 09-02-11, 04:15 PM
Tunabait
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem last week. I went under the hood and in the fuse bank there are 2 fuses for the raido, one marked raido 1, the other marked raido 2. I removed and checked the fuses. They were both ok. But after I did this the raido started to work. Loose connection ? Not sure, but it works now.
Old 09-03-11, 10:22 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

Here is the Troubleshooting Reference guide released as TSB by Lexus ffor Audio issues. Hope this helps. cheers.
Good to be back after a long holiday !!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Audio Quick Reference Guide.pdf (178.2 KB, 7392 views)
Old 08-31-17, 02:07 PM
fig19
Rookie

OK All,I just got a '03 GX470 w/200k mls on it,overall very nice condition and extensive maintanence history,It has a few issues I'm looking to resolve including the radio doesnt always work.I've discovered this thread and will trouble shoot this weekend,but a question first-
How do you "cycle the tail lights"?Does this mean turning the headlights/tail lights on/off 3 times?when you say tail lights do you mean brake lights(press brake pedal 3x)?
Old 09-01-17, 05:56 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

To get into the diagnostics, hold the Audio and Climate buttons down and turn the parking lights on/off 3 times using the stalk.

Chip H.
Old 09-01-17, 04:26 PM
fig19
Rookie

Chiph9 thx for taking the time to answer my question,I was able to get into the diagnostics system(I think). Seem everything checks "OK" according to the computer,I'm not sure if its allowed but I have some pics of the screen I would like to show here to see if I'm in the correct section-"Service Check Mode"-shows items such as EMV,G/W,MD-CH,DSP AMP=all "OK" highlighted in blue next to them.AUDIO H/U and NAV have CHECK next to them.I do not see any code #'s like the 440 people speak of referring to an AMP issue and the AMP check shows "OK".All connections to the AMP are secure.
Could I have your email Chip to show you my diagnostics check see if I need to somehow still get into another "system check"?Or maybe let me know if its ok to attach my screen pics here.
A reminder,I just bought a '03 GX 8/26/17,seller told me the radio was having issues,it worked intermittenly the first couple days but has been out since then.All operating lights work,all modes work,checked each speaker-no sound.Not seeing any code #'s, etc...
Old 09-01-17, 06:40 PM
Lexusdk
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's possible the radio receiver unit has fluid damage from previous owner. I've seen this happen why too often, owner spills a drink and seeps into the internal electronics of the radio unit. Have a shop pull and inspect the radio unit. You might need a new one.
Old 09-01-17, 07:19 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by fig19
Could I have your email Chip to show you my diagnostics check see if I need to somehow still get into another "system check"?Or maybe let me know if its ok to attach my screen pics here.
If the forum won't allow you to upload a pic, use a site like imgur.com to host them.
In the list of equipment it found, you shouldn't have "check" next to any of them. Do any of the buttons along the bottom light up? (they shouldn't)

Chip H.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Lexus GX470 No sound from radio, help