GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Side opening rear door

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-02, 09:07 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side opening rear door

What do people think about the side opening "hatch"/rear door?

I have mixed feelings but maybe I am missing why Lexus decided to be daring on this....

I live in NYC and therefore load my car while parked at a curb. I think it would be easier to lift a "hatch" than open a hinged door....also wondering if I am parked close to car behind me if that will be trouble - i.e. does anyone know how long this car is with the door fully extended?

Seems also that with updward opening door, its easy to load from both sides...now I suppose I have to load from left (even though curb is on right typically for me)

Also - I kind of like the protection the "hatch" provides when loading and unloading in the rain....can't really tell from the pictures but it seems like that won't be happening in the GX.

Maybe non-city dwellers like the side opening door...assuming it fits in the garage with the door extended....but its kind of bumming me out.

Help me feel good again.
Old 09-15-02, 09:18 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Wish I could knicksfan. But I don't like it either. The only advantage I can see is that it would be good for short people... I have to assume Lexus, being what they are has some good reason for it, but I sure can't see it. They seem to imply that it's "easier loading" but that doesn't make much sense...

Hey maybe it IS easier? In the same way that passenger doors open to the side instead of up. It just seems a little weird to me... If anyone does have a truck with a side opener please chime in... It's not exactly a dealbreaker for me as I'm sure it's not that big of a deal in actual practice, it's just going to take some getting used to.

Last edited by bareyb; 09-16-02 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-15-02, 11:57 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Yeah...

I'm confused as to their choice for the swinging door as well. I see no real benefit over a liftgate. And Toyota is using a liftgate on the 4Runner, which we know is the platform mate of this GX470. I even like my split lift/tail gate on my LX. These huge side doors just seem bulky and ridiculous to me. Especially here in America, it opens the wrong way, if you want to load from a curb you have to go all the way around the door!!! If Lexus would change one thing before production... make it a liftgate!!!
Old 09-16-02, 05:58 AM
kippy95
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Side opening rear door

I used to own a '98 Honda CRV and it has the exact type of swing door. Let me tell ya, it's one of the biggest mistake of owning a CRV. It was a hassle and a lot of frustration over it. I wished I could have own a Toyota SUV and didn't have to deal with this agony of openning a swing door.
Like Knicksfan mentioned, "parked close to car behind" you'll worry for those who park behind you. :eek: It took take two steps to open the rear door. First you have to open the top portion then the door latch. And while parked facing downhill, I'm glad I had a strong back to take some beating from the door. It is heavier to lift the swing door than the lift door on a downhill.

The only feasible concept of a swing door is for people who intend to have many flat tires. The swing door is only feasible for mounting that spare tire on the back. You can guess why the spare tire is made easily accessible to someone who intend to get many flats. But I don't see a spare tire for the GX470, why?
Old 09-16-02, 07:35 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the swinging door for some reason.
Old 09-18-02, 11:49 PM
Wally
Driver

No different from the G500 from MB...Hmmmm....I don't think it'll present a problem at all (at least in Atl) I can't name a place where you have to parallel park and then shove groceries in the back. All spaces are pull in's....