GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Sunroof Rattle/Tranny Slip

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-11, 11:11 AM
GXM35
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof Rattle/Tranny Slip

Took vehicle in for two things last week and they said both were normal for the vehicle.

1. Sunroof rattles. I can physically push up on the sunroof and feel a little play in it. It doesn't leak or anything, but does rattle on certain roads. Dealer say it's tightened to standards and within normal expected specs for the age of the vehicle (2007), but after feeling the sunroof in my other car that has no play in it whatsoever, I'm a little skeptical. Anybody else with this?

2. Under certain conditions, the tranny seems to slip/pause and then grab a gear. It happens on off-ramps usually. I let off the gas to slow down and the give it gas to carry me through the off-ramp. It feels like a clunk or the tranny slipping trying to find a gear and then it finds one and noticably clunks in. Dealer hooked up a computer to it and it says it's operating noramlly and the clunk is just a product of the way I drive and the electronic shifting computer. I've had my drive shaft replaced thinking this was the problem, but it's still there. Any one else?
Old 07-05-11, 05:06 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GXM35
Took vehicle in for two things last week and they said both were normal for the vehicle.

1. Sunroof rattles. I can physically push up on the sunroof and feel a little play in it. It doesn't leak or anything, but does rattle on certain roads. Dealer say it's tightened to standards and within normal expected specs for the age of the vehicle (2007), but after feeling the sunroof in my other car that has no play in it whatsoever, I'm a little skeptical. Anybody else with this?

2. Under certain conditions, the tranny seems to slip/pause and then grab a gear. It happens on off-ramps usually. I let off the gas to slow down and the give it gas to carry me through the off-ramp. It feels like a clunk or the tranny slipping trying to find a gear and then it finds one and noticably clunks in. Dealer hooked up a computer to it and it says it's operating noramlly and the clunk is just a product of the way I drive and the electronic shifting computer. I've had my drive shaft replaced thinking this was the problem, but it's still there. Any one else?
Rattle in a sunroof on vehicle 5 years old is not normal. I've had one vehicle with over 200K miles with no sunroof rattle. Had another vehicle with 137K with no rattle. Currently have an Acura with 155K, no sunroof rattle.

The RX330 had a known issue with sunroof rattle and Lexus corrected this. Not sure whether the GX has issues with the sunroof. A search of the GX forum shows some folks have had issues with the sunroof rattling.
Old 07-06-11, 07:54 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a few cars do that when I'm going down hills and push the gas pedal. I'm pretty sure it's based on how you (and I) drive.
Old 07-06-11, 09:50 AM
GXM35
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redrocks
Rattle in a sunroof on vehicle 5 years old is not normal. I've had one vehicle with over 200K miles with no sunroof rattle. Had another vehicle with 137K with no rattle. Currently have an Acura with 155K, no sunroof rattle.

The RX330 had a known issue with sunroof rattle and Lexus corrected this. Not sure whether the GX has issues with the sunroof. A search of the GX forum shows some folks have had issues with the sunroof rattling.
I wouldn't think a loose sunroof when closed would be normal on a vehicle like this. Maybe on a '76 Firebird.
Old 07-06-11, 09:52 AM
GXM35
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cdew002
I've had a few cars do that when I'm going down hills and push the gas pedal. I'm pretty sure it's based on how you (and I) drive.
It normally shifts fine. It's under a certain circumstance that it happens. As long as it's not hurting the car...
Old 07-06-11, 09:55 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

No sunroof rattle on mine either (25K)--something is not right with it. Can you produce the sunroof rattle at all times, if so take the mechanic with you and let him here it. Shifting sounds ok, its the way you are attacking the ramps lol...try a differant way? and I bet its fine
Old 07-06-11, 12:59 PM
Jameym00
Driver School Candidate

My land cruiser has what your talking about. A lot of play and noise but no leak and no way to fix it either.
Old 07-06-11, 03:05 PM
GXM35
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Booyah
No sunroof rattle on mine either (25K)--something is not right with it. Can you produce the sunroof rattle at all times, if so take the mechanic with you and let him here it. Shifting sounds ok, its the way you are attacking the ramps lol...try a differant way? and I bet its fine
Easy to produce. Just push up and down on it. You can see it move and hear as well
Old 07-06-11, 03:06 PM
GXM35
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jameym00
My land cruiser has what your talking about. A lot of play and noise but no leak and no way to fix it either.
It's like it's missing a strip of rubber or a shim or something.
Old 07-06-11, 03:25 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The sunroof on my 2005 is tight, no rattles.

I have on rare occasion experienced the transmission clunk
That you describe. Like you, its usually when I decelerate quickly from say highway speed, then immediately try accelerating again, like one would at a highway turn off. Don't think its anything to be concerned about.
Old 07-06-11, 03:34 PM
GXM35
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cssnms
The sunroof on my 2005 is tight, no rattles.

I have on rare occasion experienced the transmission clunk
That you describe. Like you, its usually when I decelerate quickly from say highway speed, then immediately try accelerating again, like one would at a highway turn off. Don't think its anything to be concerned about.
Thanks. Gotta get the rattle fixed...
Old 07-09-11, 02:33 PM
lonbon
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Buy some silicon spray lube, tilt the sunroof, wipe the rubber surfaces and metal contact areas with a rag coated with the lube. Partially retract the sunroof and do the same to the front side. Plan to do it again next month.

That is the only way I have been able to eliminate the noise. On one of the Toyota 4 Runner forums, there is some sort of plastic bushing fix, although I have not tried it. If it is any comfort, I have had several Acuras and they all made noise. On one, I had to lube with vaseline every 2 weeks.
Old 07-10-11, 11:34 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Both not normal. At times when it is hot, the clutch fan licking in sapping a little power might give the impression the vehicle is working harder cause it is, but I beat the hell out of our GX off road and on, no slippage-never.
Old 07-11-11, 05:53 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

Another instance of the tranny "thing" is in my wife's RX330. When she drives, it never misses a beat, but if I drive, I cause the same issue the I get with my GX.
Old 07-13-11, 09:14 AM
Vinniety
Driver

Originally Posted by cdew002
Another instance of the tranny "thing" is in my wife's RX330. When she drives, it never misses a beat, but if I drive, I cause the same issue the I get with my GX.
I was going to say if your coming off an exit around a bend and its happening maybe and again just maybe your low on fluid BUT you posting it also happens in your wifes rx then its YOU!!!!

Quick Reply: Sunroof Rattle/Tranny Slip