GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
Old 01-07-15, 12:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

GX470 Fuel Economy

Old 06-17-11, 11:08 AM
LifeEnjoyr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad here in Cali, ethanol still makes up about 10% of all gas at almost every gas station I've seen.
Old 06-17-11, 04:41 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
It is between the filter element and the engine, just need to take pipes off and you will fet to it. If it is the one with the very thin wires which are the sensors, they are delicate
Thanks, and just checking, what symptoms would one see for a dirty MAS - I am guessing decreased fuel efficiency is one of the symptoms. Anything else? Would a diagnostic test or a warning light pop up? Anything else to look out for?

And is a dirty MAS a common thing with the K&N filter, or is this more of a rarity?

Turby
Old 06-17-11, 06:46 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

few points

the engine is designed for high octane fuel, not low octane.

you should not overfill gas tank as others mentioned here.

finally, overinflating your tire I assume when its cold is a big no no. When you drive it, the pressure goes even much higher on a warm day, like 5-10psi higher.
Old 06-20-11, 05:26 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
few points

the engine is designed for high octane fuel, not low octane.
I recall folks here saying that for certain years, the owner's manual does not call out a requirement for higher octane fuel. I think the cutoff is 2006 and newer asks for higher octane fuel?

Turby
Old 06-20-11, 07:04 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbinator
I recall folks here saying that for certain years, the owner's manual does not call out a requirement for higher octane fuel. I think the cutoff is 2006 and newer asks for higher octane fuel?

Turby
2004 "recommends" 93 in the manual
Old 06-27-11, 04:59 AM
oardila99
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote from the reverse side of the back cover page of the 2003 GX Owner's manual:

"Fuel selection:
Select Octane Rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. For improve vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher is recommended."

I have filled the tank with strictly premium fuel (93 oct) and wit regular (87 oct) and have noted NO difference at all, hence I continued using regular 87 octane fuel.

I also have an older MB, and in that thing you can absolutely tell the difderence, so I figured that if a real difference existed it would also be easily noticeable.
Old 06-27-11, 10:46 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

According to the Toyota spec sheet (attached) the pre VVT-i engine and the VVT-i engine both "require" 87 octane or higher (attached). However, certain GX owner's manuals call for or recommend 93 octane or higher.

Given the confusion/debate, I contacted Toyota corporate and they could not explain the reason for the discrepancy not only between certain MY GX's, but also by comparison with what is stated in the 4-Runner V-8 owner's manual despite they all share the exact same engine.

OP, I like Techron fuel system cleaner. I try to add a bottle to a tank every 3 or 4 months.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2uz-fe Specifications[1].pdf (92.2 KB, 4716 views)
Old 06-27-11, 11:46 AM
LifeEnjoyr
Driver

91 definitely gives better performance and mileage on my experience. 87 gives the GX less power and I noticed the tank burns a little faster as well.
Old 06-29-11, 12:32 PM
Momster
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

I have 06 with 37k miles and get 18-19mpg hand calculated 20-21 on the on board computer. I have been using non ethnol mid grade very limited places to purchase from, but happen to have a GranDel down the street from me. I drive a combination of city and highway. I try and stay between 55-65 on the highway, anything over and my mileage it 15-16. I do not baby my rig but do watch for red lights and coast and do not punch it when the light turns green.
Old 07-06-11, 11:53 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cssnms
According to the Toyota spec sheet (attached) the pre VVT-i engine and the VVT-i engine both "require" 87 octane or higher (attached). However, certain GX owner's manuals call for or recommend 93 octane or higher.

Given the confusion/debate, I contacted Toyota corporate and they could not explain the reason for the discrepancy not only between certain MY GX's, but also by comparison with what is stated in the 4-Runner V-8 owner's manual despite they all share the exact same engine.
Thank you for finally recognizing what was written in the GX owner manuals from 2006 on. The reason - ULEV II.
Old 07-06-11, 01:33 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisK
Thank you for finally recognizing what was written in the GX owner manuals from 2006 on. The reason - ULEV II.
So, have you noticed any difference in mpg using regular?
Old 07-06-11, 01:37 PM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by redrocks
So, have you noticed any difference in mpg using regular?
I never used the regular in it, so I cannot compare. If there is a difference, it probably would be a small one. On the other hand, the engine will run much cleaner using premium.
Old 07-06-11, 04:57 PM
ALAN553
Racer

I never used the regular in it, so I cannot compare. If there is a difference, it probably would be a small one. On the other hand, the engine will run much cleaner using premium.
Don't think premium means more detergent, just higher octane. So don't make cleanliness your reason for choosing an octane. You want clean, stick with top tier gas.
Old 07-07-11, 06:08 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Don't think premium means more detergent, just higher octane. So don't make cleanliness your reason for choosing an octane. You want clean, stick with top tier gas.
To have clean running engines Lexus changed the recommendation and made the premium fuel the requirement. It has to do with meeting the ULEV II certification requirements.

Here is the difference between LEV and ULEV II

"ULEV II: Ultra-Low-Emission Vehicle, a mid-level Phase II LEV standard. Hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide emissions levels are nearly 50% lower than those of a LEV II-certified vehicle."
Old 07-07-11, 08:58 AM
ALAN553
Racer

To have clean running engines Lexus changed the recommendation and made the premium fuel the requirement. It has to do with meeting the ULEV II certification requirements.

Here is the difference between LEV and ULEV II

"ULEV II: Ultra-Low-Emission Vehicle, a mid-level Phase II LEV standard. Hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide emissions levels are nearly 50% lower than those of a LEV II-certified vehicle."
Ah, got your point, cleaner at the tailpipe, not necessarily internal engine parts, ie cylinder walls etc...but still not sure octane changes that, the computer compensates for the change of octane?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GX470 Fuel Economy