GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-11, 05:20 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default New Tires

Wanted to post about a recent tire purchase for my '07 GX. My Cross Terrains were down to the wear bars, and I couldn't find any local retailers that had any, so after some research I put on some Michelin LTX MS/2's and just about pooped when I got on the highway. These tires are dead silent, and have a smoother ride than the Cross Terrains! I have about 7 months 'till the snow flies, but looking at reviews from Tire Rack, I think these may be a great fit for the GX....
Old 05-17-11, 06:38 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

DId the same thing last week. You are right about the silence! Dead quiet on the highway.
Old 05-17-11, 07:48 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had these tires since January and I'm very happy with them.

Quiet, hold the road, good cornering for a truck tire, good responsiveness. Great in rain. Handled the leftover snow in Jan and Feb very well. I'm happy!!!
Old 05-18-11, 01:44 PM
NYGX470
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michelins offering $70 rebate on their tires......i have them on my 06 gx and very happy with them too. night and day.
Old 05-18-11, 03:04 PM
nathanoj
Driver School Candidate

I have those in my wife's GX and it rides well.
Old 05-18-11, 05:06 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by NYGX470
Michelins offering $70 rebate on their tires......i have them on my 06 gx and very happy with them too. night and day.
That rebate ended sometime in April. Unless you know something I don't.
Old 05-23-11, 01:46 AM
NYGX470
Driver School Candidate

costco in the tri state was offering it?
Old 05-23-11, 08:39 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NYGX470
costco in the tri state was offering it?
Offering what - tires or rebate???
Old 05-30-11, 09:37 AM
NYGX470
Driver School Candidate

costco is offering 70.00 rabate on set of michelin tires, look it up, no time to keep writing the same thing over and over and over until its over. go there or go online if your a member. I'm in New Jersey, so look up where its available. Later and good luck.
Old 06-01-11, 12:22 AM
LifeEnjoyr
Driver

I recently put on some Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors a couple weeks ago. They are not as smooth as the Mich Cross Terrains on the road, but they are like butter when I took it off-roading (went up the steepest dirt hill with all sorts of rocks, etc). You can find good deals on them right now!
Old 06-01-11, 08:37 AM
snhrph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LifeEnjoyr
I recently put on some Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors a couple weeks ago. They are not as smooth as the Mich Cross Terrains on the road, but they are like butter when I took it off-roading (went up the steepest dirt hill with all sorts of rocks, etc). You can find good deals on them right now!
Did you up-size or go with OE size?

I have GYWSAs on my 4Runner and I love them. They are definitely a different ride from CTs, but I like the firmer, more truck-like ride. As far as off-road capabilities, there is no comparison. But I'm mostly impressed with how well GYWSAs handled the snow this winter - I had to pull out a furniture delivery truck that got stock in the snow in front of my driveway.
Old 06-03-11, 12:44 PM
LifeEnjoyr
Driver

I up-sized just a bit. The ones I put on are 265/70/17. Not much of a difference, though they make the GX slightly higher but it is barely noticeable. No rubbing at all whatsoever. I'll try to snap some pics later on today. As with snow, I have yet to try it. I live in San Diego, so I will have to wait quite some months before we see any snow at the nearby mountains (which will take me about 45 mins just to drive there). I got out of some super soft sand while BBQin' @ the beach on Memorial Day, so I am pretty sure it will do well in snow! =)
Old 11-12-11, 09:36 AM
LexGX
Pole Position

Sorry to bring an old thread back up but i have a question about upsizing your tire. Did you notice that your riding speed alter much?
Old 11-12-11, 10:09 AM
snhrph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexGX
Sorry to bring an old thread back up but i have a question about upsizing your tire. Did you notice that your riding speed alter much?
It is really easy to figure out; Circumference = Pi*d, where d is the diameter of the tire.

So the 31 inch tire will run about 3% faster than 30 inch.

If math is not your forte, then google is your best friend - there are several online tire size calculators:

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Old 11-12-11, 02:07 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Another shout for these tires

I got the LTX A/T 2 set before anybody else on the forum claimed to have them, about one year ago. I read a lot of threads swearing by Cross Terrains and some other Michelin contenders. But I was worried about obsolescence (in case of road hazard replacement of one or two tires), as most Michelins appropriate for the GX were an older line or a bit too freeway for me. I thought I was jumping into uncharted territory and was worried about road noise - tread was more aggressive than the others. Through Discount Tire Company (America's Tire) I had the manager's assurance that I could drive them for a week and do a zero-loss return for other tires if I disliked the ride, noise, or any aspect of the tires. They also had the rebate like Costco (I use Costco sometimes for tires, but Discount usually wins the comparison shopping. They matched the best Internet price I could find, including factoring-in the tax vs. no tax issue. Love the tires, love the deal. I highly recommend them. Aside from great handling on the road and low noise, they have done well in light mud, wet desert, loose dirt and wet grass. No snow yet. I have not had this mix of versatility without some compromises (noise mostly) in any tire on any vehicle.

Quick Reply: New Tires