GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

location of connection for trailer brake control??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-11, 08:58 AM
empinball
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default location of connection for trailer brake control??

I went to etrailer.com to research a trailer brake control unit for our 2004 GX and the only installation how to video they had was for the Toyota Tundra. The video showed a connector block hanging down from the dash in the area of the E-brake pedal pivot point. I looked in our GX for a similar connector and the only thing I could find is the port for connecting a mechanics diagnostic scanner. Does anybody have any suggestions on where to find the connection point?
Old 05-16-11, 11:16 PM
pgsandiego
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've read about it but have never looked for it. I found the below link interesting but haven't done anything yet (havent needed to tow anything). I included some of the more interesting posts. Report back and let us know!

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...hp/t46047.html

All below were posts from from the link:
Lexus does not offer an electronic brake controller, so you would have to go aftermarket if you wanted one. Even though Lexus doesn't offer a controller, they do provide a connector for the controller. The connector is a bit hard to get to. Its hidden in the dashboard. You have to reach up and around under the driver side dashboard to find the connector.

I just installed a Tekonsha in my '05 GX this weekend. You will need to take the panel off that covers the bottom of the dash. There is 1 screw at the from and a couple of pressed fit clips along the front edge. Just gently pry the panel down with a screw driver. The plug you are looking for is right behind the end of the black air vent. It is taped in the wiring loom. Cut the tape and you can plug in the harness easily. Finding the plug was the hardest part! I used velcro to attach it to the dash above the accelerator.

If your towing 5000lbs you will need the electric brake option connected. Unless you want to replace your SUV brakes at the end of every trip.

Last edited by pgsandiego; 05-16-11 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-16-11, 11:31 PM
pgsandiego
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even better, check out the video

http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contro...eid=2009106287

Or, google "GX470 brake controller" for more good info. I now know what to do/get/install if I ever want to tow something heavy.

Last edited by pgsandiego; 05-16-11 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-21-11, 09:06 PM
empinball
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here are some photos I took while following the information posted from the Lexus Owners Club forum. Perhaps this will help somebody in the future.

Remove this screw

Lower the panel and gently pull down to dislodge the spring clips ( disconnect the LED lamp for easier access)

Look for this connector taped to a harness above the black air duct

Tape removed, connector free to connect to your brake controller of choice. I think I'm going to go with the Prodigy 2, as the reviews seem to be better than the cheaper Voyager unit in my Dodge truck.
The following 2 users liked this post by empinball:
FrankT (07-30-20), RyanBlace (07-06-18)
Old 01-23-12, 01:37 PM
GX470TX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to get my dealer to show me where this plug was, so I could Plug and Play my Prodigfy P2 and they wanted 1 hr of labor for the effort.

I asked if they also charge people if they show them how to check their oil the first time or remove the third row seats for the first time.

"Well, no." was the answer. I asked what the difference was, and there was dead silence and blank stares.

I did it with these pictures.

If I can do it from these pictures, anybody not a complete idiot (ask your neighbors and friends first) can do it.

When you get your head under there, look about 10 inches above the steering colume base .Mine was wrapped with black electricians tape two times. Snip loose. Snap together.

And for the ground wire, snap two clips off the plastic cover by your left foot, and find the one black bolt head needing a box end (or adjustable) wrench to remove, it is staring you in the face. It secures some plastic but also holds snug to a metal brace. Slip the round connector of the ground wire between the metal nut and metal brace, and screw it back in snugly.

Snap the plastic piece back into place, done. Beer time.
Old 08-06-19, 08:46 AM
ConradP
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Photo of the plug

Here’s another photo of the factory plug, wrapped in tape prior to me cutting the tape.
To find it I had to stick my head way down by the dead pedal and then look back, right, and up to find it just above the black plastic vent horn. The harness it’s taped to runs parallel with the dashboard and the plug is facing to the drivers left. Hope that helps. I spent a lot of time looking in the wrong places. The trick was putting my head way down and looking back up right.
The following users liked this post:
Rygar470 (08-06-19)