GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Calling it quits

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-11, 06:21 PM
rainmn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Calling it quits

With about 80k on our '03, we made the decision that it was time for it to go. In the next few months, it was probably going to need about $3k worth of repairs / maintenance, which I wasn't willing to do if we weren't 100% sure we were going to keep this truck for a few more years. We weren't that positive, so I traded it in this weekend.

All in all, I'd have to say that the GX was only an "ok" truck. My wife loved everything about the truck, enough that she overlooked all of the maintenance issues we've had with it. Me, I thought that Lexus quality would have been a little better. (Calipers, ride height sensors, pitted wheels, etc.)

If anyone wants a spare set of stock wheels to get refinished, and are local to Southern NJ, they are yours for the taking. They are pitted, but would make for a good "spare" set to get refinished.
Old 05-01-11, 08:16 PM
MWalker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I said goodbye to mine last weekend also. It was an 05 with '78k, and I was worried about the same things you were. Needed new brakes all around, couple other minor things.

Mine was a pretty good vehicle, sunroof mechanism had to be replaced, clunk fix, nothing else major. I'll miss it...
Old 05-01-11, 10:55 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rainmn
80k on our '03......need about $3k worth of repairs / maintenance
what kind of repairs/maintenance is it that going to cost $3K ? 90k service, brake pads, rotors, what else ?
Old 05-02-11, 05:22 AM
rainmn
Driver

Originally Posted by masboy
what kind of repairs/maintenance is it that going to cost $3K ? 90k service, brake pads, rotors, what else ?
90k service was correct. In addition, it's got yet another sticking caliper (I've already had both fronts replaced), the radiator has a small leak, so I'd have that replaced, and the navigation DVD is still from '03, so it really needs to be updated.

On top of those is the one that aggravates me the most - a rust spot that would need to be fixed too. Inside the passenger rear door at the wheelwell edge is a rust spot that's getting worse every day.

Depending on what happened with the brakes, that could have been pretty costly by itself. When both front calipers had to be replaced, I think they were about $400 each. If it's one rear that is sticking, I'd have had both rears replaced, and probably pads and rotors yet again.
Old 05-02-11, 06:44 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I can appreciate all of those reasons. What kind of vehicle did you trade it in on?
Old 05-02-11, 07:34 AM
rainmn
Driver

Originally Posted by cssnms
I can appreciate all of those reasons. What kind of vehicle did you trade it in on?
A Land Rover LR4.

I know, I know - I can hear the jokes about reliability already.

I leased it though, so at least it's under warranty for the duration. If it turns out to be a problem child, it won't cost me money to fix it.

I've always said I'd never buy a British vehicle...at least I stayed true to that and leased it. They are supposed to be much better than they used to be, so I'll see if that's really the case. It definitely drives nice.

On our list were the Volvo XC90, the VW Touraeg 2, the BMW X5, and the Acura MDX, all along with the LR4. The concern about most of them right off the bat was the size, and how much smaller they would be than the GX.

The XC90 didn't impress me at all. Nothing at all exciting about it, it was pretty slow, and it is due for a major redesign. No ipod integration, only a single cd player, and the navigation sucks.

The Touraeg was very nice, but too small. Very cool electronics in that one.

I like the MDX, but my wife wasn't excited about it. (Her parents just bought their 2nd one this weekend.) No real reason she doesn't like it, just personal preference. What can I say to that? It's her daily driver.

We never made it to the BMW dealer, since that was to be the next stop after Land Rover. I figured the X5 would be too small, along with too expensive anyway.

I was betting that as soon as she drove the LR4, that was going to be her favorite, and I was right. I wasn't sure it would also be mine, but to my surprise, it was. We also got a really good deal on it. (Shopping on the last day of the month really does work.)

Oh - I forgot about the GX460. I don't really like the looks of it, and as I've openly said, I've been less than thrilled with Lexus based on my experience with our GX470. My wife, however likes them.

My in-laws saved me the trouble of looking at the 460 by doing it themselves. They liked it, and may have bought it, but the dealer would only come down $1k off the sticker. That alone killed the deal. They got a far better deal on their MDX.
Old 05-02-11, 08:39 AM
cssnms
Racer

A Land Rover LR4.

I know, I know - I can hear the jokes about reliability already.

I leased it though, so at least it's under warranty for the duration. If it turns out to be a problem child, it won't cost me money to fix it.

I've always said I'd never buy a British vehicle...at least I stayed true to that and leased it. They are supposed to be much better than they used to be, so I'll see if that's really the case. It definitely drives nice.

On our list were the Volvo XC90, the VW Touraeg 2, the BMW X5, and the Acura MDX, all along with the LR4. The concern about most of them right off the bat was the size, and how much smaller they would be than the GX.

The XC90 didn't impress me at all. Nothing at all exciting about it, it was pretty slow, and it is due for a major redesign. No ipod integration, only a single cd player, and the navigation sucks.

The Touraeg was very nice, but too small. Very cool electronics in that one.

I like the MDX, but my wife wasn't excited about it. (Her parents just bought their 2nd one this weekend.) No real reason she doesn't like it, just personal preference. What can I say to that? It's her daily driver.

We never made it to the BMW dealer, since that was to be the next stop after Land Rover. I figured the X5 would be too small, along with too expensive anyway.

I was betting that as soon as she drove the LR4, that was going to be her favorite, and I was right. I wasn't sure it would also be mine, but to my surprise, it was. We also got a really good deal on it. (Shopping on the last day of the month really does work.)

Oh - I forgot about the GX460. I don't really like the looks of it, and as I've openly said, I've been less than thrilled with Lexus based on my experience with our GX470. My wife, however likes them.

My in-laws saved me the trouble of looking at the 460 by doing it themselves. They liked it, and may have bought it, but the dealer would only come down $1k off the sticker. That alone killed the deal. They got a far better deal on their MDX.
The LR4 is a VERY nice looking truck and generally speaking I think Land Rover did a very nice job on the interior. Dare I say it is also a very THIRSTY SUV and even more-so then the GX and if I am not mistaken the LR4 requires "premium." By most accounts the EPA ratings are pretty agressive. It will be interesting to hear your impressions of real world MPG's esp with the way the cost of fuel is going.
Old 05-02-11, 09:06 AM
rainmn
Driver

Trust me, fuel was a concern of mine, especially with the current gas prices.

The ratings on the truck are 12/17, and they recommend 89+. Dealer says I'll be fine with regular, and just may not get the full 375 hp. I'll probably stick with 89 anyway.

The trip computer in our GX almost always shows 16.8 for average. After a recent 1200 mile road trip, I think it may have jumped to 17 and change. (Granted, I did about 85 the whole way.)

According to several people I've talked to about LR4s, and what I've read on a few message boards, it should be about the same on average as long as my wife keeps her foot off the floor.

I'll see soon enough. The salesman is on the way to my house with it right now.
Old 05-02-11, 09:09 AM
cssnms
Racer

Nothing beats the new car smell. Enjoy your new truck!
Old 05-02-11, 11:42 AM
rainmn
Driver

Originally Posted by cssnms
Nothing beats the new car smell. Enjoy your new truck!
Thanks - I couldn't agree more, although I can't convince my kids of that. They think that new cars smell bad.

It's official now, GX is gone, LR4 is in the driveway.

I already noticed one thing that I'll miss from the GX....the LR4 doesn't have memory seats. I didn't notice that at the dealer. That comes with the top of the line "lux" package, which I didn't get.
Old 05-02-11, 07:50 PM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

rainmn, I had to make a similar decision last year.

I had lots of issues with my '06 GX470, standard for the truck: bump, pitting, frozen calipers, but also transfer case noise/vibration, transmission replaced, failed master cylinder (that one was really great ..., especially with my kid in the back seat), and others. GX was my second Lexus after the initial RX300. I was really disappointed with the reliability of the brand, which I think went down - which was extremely disappointing since I really like Lexus (still).

After my lease was up, I decided not to buy out my problematic GX (buy out was my initial plan), I decided to go with the new GX460, but found out that the dealer wanted 1000 OVER MSRP. That and my experience with the GX470 killed the deal.

Ended up with the MB GL450. I was told tales of horrible reliability, and other issues. So far, it's proving to be more reliable than the Lexus. It has been about 14 months now, and knock on wood, not one issue.

It may be hard to admit, but I think that other car manufacturers took an effort to bring quality and reliability up, but for some reason Lexus has either remained in place, or has degraded. What a shame, it's still my most favorite brand.

Good Luck with your LR4, it's a great truck.
Old 05-03-11, 08:25 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

With about 80k on our '03, we made the decision that it was time for it to go. In the next few months, it was probably going to need about $3k worth of repairs / maintenance, which I wasn't willing to do if we weren't 100% sure we were going to keep this truck for a few more years. We weren't that positive, so I traded it in this weekend.

All in all, I'd have to say that the GX was only an "ok" truck. My wife loved everything about the truck, enough that she overlooked all of the maintenance issues we've had with it. Me, I thought that Lexus quality would have been a little better. (Calipers, ride height sensors, pitted wheels, etc.)

If anyone wants a spare set of stock wheels to get refinished, and are local to Southern NJ, they are yours for the taking. They are pitted, but would make for a good "spare" set to get refinished.
PM sent...
Old 05-04-11, 08:22 AM
GXM35
Driver School Candidate

What are the symptoms of a frozen brake caliper?
Old 05-04-11, 08:33 AM
rainmn
Driver

Originally Posted by GXM35
What are the symptoms of a frozen brake caliper?
In my case, I don't think the caliper is frozen, just sticking.

The symptom was what you would expect from warped rotors, or rotors with some uneven pad material build up....the brakes would pulsate pretty badly at times.

The reason I assume it's another bad caliper is that it's intermittent. Sometimes it would brake smoothly, then pulsate the next time you stopped. Couple that with the fact that I had already had 2 calipers go bad, and that was my best guess.

I could have been wrong, but at this point, I'll never know.
Old 05-04-11, 09:30 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

best of luck to you with the land rover.....(i'm not trying to be an a$$ but trust me, you're gonna need it. i tell you this from personal experience with a land rover discovery)

Quick Reply: Calling it quits