GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Bought new tires - Michellin LTX M/S2

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-11, 02:18 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bought new tires - Michellin LTX M/S2

The original OEM Dunflops finally reached the end of their useless life and are being replaced with Michelin LTX M/S2.

Bought them on Thursday at local Sears and got an awesome deal - $186.20 per tire plus tax minus $70 rebate in mail from Michelin.

Going to Lexus dealer tomorrow morning to have them mounted and Road-Force balanced.

Will post my reviews, so stay tuned.
Old 01-30-11, 03:26 PM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

Great call on the LTX MS/2s. I just purchased some about a month ago and they are great tires. I have been using them my other vehicles for many years with great success (original LTX and MS/2 as well)

Enjoy!
Old 01-30-11, 08:38 PM
Bob GX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New tires are a great feeling!

Did you do anything with the TPMS sensors? Do you think the original ones will last thru the second set of tires? Do you know if Sears could have sold new sensors and then programmed them?

This'll be my first time dealing with 'old' sensors and new tires - I hate the thought of having to replace the sensors 1 at a time over the next couple of years - and having to visit Lexus each time for programming them since it's an 80 mile round trip to the nearest dealer (unless maybe the local Toyota dealer could take care of that job...?). Also would have to pay the mount & balance again.

Sorry for all the questions - I'm about ready to buy the same LTX MS2 tires for my 04 and appreciate any info you can pass along - thanks!

Bob
Old 01-30-11, 09:54 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by easgx470
Great call on the LTX MS/2s. I just purchased some about a month ago and they are great tires. I have been using them my other vehicles for many years with great success (original LTX and MS/2 as well)

Enjoy!
Thanks. I'm really looking forward to having the tires installed in the morning. Could not wait to get rid of the Dunflops...

Originally Posted by Bob GX
New tires are a great feeling!

Did you do anything with the TPMS sensors? Do you think the original ones will last thru the second set of tires? Do you know if Sears could have sold new sensors and then programmed them?

This'll be my first time dealing with 'old' sensors and new tires - I hate the thought of having to replace the sensors 1 at a time over the next couple of years - and having to visit Lexus each time for programming them since it's an 80 mile round trip to the nearest dealer (unless maybe the local Toyota dealer could take care of that job...?). Also would have to pay the mount & balance again.

Sorry for all the questions - I'm about ready to buy the same LTX MS2 tires for my 04 and appreciate any info you can pass along - thanks!

Bob
Bob,

I replaced tires on my 4Runner in August and did not have any issues with "old" TPMS with new tires. At one point the sensors will require replacement, but I'll cross that bridge when i get there.

I'm sure that Sears could have sold me the new sensors, and would have loved to do the installation, but... My prior experience with balance on "high-speed" machine is negative, so I will have the tires balanced on Hunter GSP-9700 Road Force balance machine. Hunter Road Force. Sears does not have that equipment, but a local Lexus dealer does. I think local Toyota has it as well, but I like the waiting room at Lexus dealer better.

Not sure about programming the TPMS once they are replaced, your best bet is to contact your Toyota dealer and ask them. Most likely they can do it, and it will cost you less than at Lexus dealer.

I've taken the GX to my Toyota dealer for routine maintenance.
Old 01-31-11, 04:05 AM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Tpms

Here's a cut and past form one of my posts under a different thread regarding TPMS sensors:

I also want to share my TPMS sensor decision. Costco installs a "service pack" and Discount Tire (America's Tire) "rebuilds" TPMS modules; both terms meaning some new seals and a replacement stem, in order to limit leak risk and corrosion within the actual TPMS sending unit. They both say "don't even think about it" when it comes to a preventative replacement of the sensors on my 2005. They are seeing very few problems, including battery depletion. The only quantifiable, high-failure rate they are seeing is with some GM units that came out as early as 2002. Tire industry consensus seems to be that many TPMS batteries, including Toyota/Lexus, are going to hit up to 12 years. These opinions are coming from shops that could easily try to sell me $500+ in sensors. Additionally, Discount Tire says that a generic replacement TPMS sensor that will be suitable for the Lexus is almost to market - they will be about $50 each. After buying a set of tires through them, they will later replace and reprogram sensors for free labor if they go bad. So my call is to keep what I've got until problems arise.
Old 01-31-11, 04:34 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by snhrph
The original OEM Dunflops finally reached the end of their useless life and are being replaced with Michelin LTX M/S2.

Bought them on Thursday at local Sears and got an awesome deal - $186.20 per tire plus tax minus $70 rebate in mail from Michelin.

Going to Lexus dealer tomorrow morning to have them mounted and Road-Force balanced.

Will post my reviews, so stay tuned.
by the time you are done paying for mounting and balancing that would be the same price most tire dealers in NJ are getting. I was quoted $230/tire at Euro-Tire and that includes mounting, balance, tax and disposal fee. one stop shopping, have breakfast at diner next door while job is done.
Old 01-31-11, 09:05 AM
Bob GX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zippinbye
Here's a cut and past form one of my posts under a different thread regarding TPMS sensors:

I also want to share my TPMS sensor decision. Costco installs a "service pack" and Discount Tire (America's Tire) "rebuilds" TPMS modules; both terms meaning some new seals and a replacement stem, in order to limit leak risk and corrosion within the actual TPMS sending unit. They both say "don't even think about it" when it comes to a preventative replacement of the sensors on my 2005. They are seeing very few problems, including battery depletion. The only quantifiable, high-failure rate they are seeing is with some GM units that came out as early as 2002. Tire industry consensus seems to be that many TPMS batteries, including Toyota/Lexus, are going to hit up to 12 years. These opinions are coming from shops that could easily try to sell me $500+ in sensors. Additionally, Discount Tire says that a generic replacement TPMS sensor that will be suitable for the Lexus is almost to market - they will be about $50 each. After buying a set of tires through them, they will later replace and reprogram sensors for free labor if they go bad. So my call is to keep what I've got until problems arise.
zip
This is really good info thanks for passing it along
Bob
Old 01-31-11, 09:50 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

FYI - Tire Rack sells replacement TPMS for the GX

Specs/Price:

315MHz Tire Pressure Sensor
$356.00 for a quantity of 4

Total Price: $356.00
Old 02-01-11, 05:16 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ALAN553
by the time you are done paying for mounting and balancing that would be the same price most tire dealers in NJ are getting. I was quoted $230/tire at Euro-Tire and that includes mounting, balance, tax and disposal fee. one stop shopping, have breakfast at diner next door while job is done.
I got an additional 10% discount, so the set of 5 cost me $860 after the rebate. Lexus installed and Road-Force balanced the tires yesterday for $20 per tire. So the entire set INSTALLED was $960. At the price you mentioned I would've spent $1150. That's $190 in my pocket. Forget breakfast, I can take my wife out to dinner!!! Also, I had a nice breakfast at Lexus dealership while waiting for tires to be mounted.

I also had my father-in-law, who owns a auto-repair shop, check the prices, and the best he could get was $193 per tire. So I think I got a very good deal, and a dinner to celebrate.
Old 02-03-11, 07:44 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by snhrph
I got an additional 10% discount, so the set of 5 cost me $860 after the rebate. Lexus installed and Road-Force balanced the tires yesterday for $20 per tire. So the entire set INSTALLED was $960. At the price you mentioned I would've spent $1150. That's $190 in my pocket. Forget breakfast, I can take my wife out to dinner!!! Also, I had a nice breakfast at Lexus dealership while waiting for tires to be mounted.

I also had my father-in-law, who owns a auto-repair shop, check the prices, and the best he could get was $193 per tire. So I think I got a very good deal, and a dinner to celebrate.
That's cool, you didnt say anything about and additional 10% in the first post, but i went to sears and got their price, presented it to my dealer and he will meet the price, so the only thing i will get is the hungry man special at the diner instead of eating at Lexus, LOL, but i still have to take the wife out to dinner, no matter what....
Old 02-07-11, 12:50 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ltx a/t 2

I have 100 miles on Michelin LTX A/T 2s in the stock 17/265 size. I like them. While aggressive in appearance compare to total highway treads, they have a very mild-looking all terrain tread. I have not had a change to test them in the dirt yet. But they are way smoother than the aging Dunlaps, and feel very "grippy" on the street. No hum whatsoever ... tested to 80 mph so far. It is possible that they communicate road noise than the Dunlaps, but those were wasted with very thin tread. When I say road noise, I mean the sound that varies as the tires spin on different surface types. It's a very subjective call, having bought the GX with 58,000 miles and aging tires. I don't have the luxury of switching back to the oldies to really compare. All I can say is it has more road noise at 75 mph than the LS 430 had, but that's no surprise! It is still the quietest full frame truck I have every driven, and quieter than 90 percent of all four-wheeled vehicles I have been in. So far, it's two thumbs up for the A/T 2 tires!

Last edited by zippinbye; 02-07-11 at 12:54 PM. Reason: word