GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

Old 01-28-11, 05:15 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

As usual, problems at home arise when I'm on international travels. I searched old threads first and found some good info on TPMS, but not enough for my circumstance. My question could be answered by me, if I had access to my GX. But I don't, so I'm in need of help. The TPMS light has been coming on for a known reason; slow leak, determined unrepairable, spare swapped until I get home to buy a whole new set of tires (basically, a $1000 puncture!).

So now the TPMS comes on due to leak down from the spare, I assume (it can be topped off and last 5 days or so). My wife says the "light keeps coming on" and cannot seem to tell me if it indicates a particular tire. She is freaked by having a warning light, which is aggravated by the tire store guy that is trying a hard-sell "for your family's safety" on a whole set. She has had the tires checked and adjusted on a few occasions, in reaction to the TPMS light. I gather that only the spare is leaking. I am 100% positive the four tires on the road are safe. The spare is now highly questionable, but would work to limp in for help. So to be confident in my explanation of what's going on to my wife, I need to know:

Does a 2005 GX have the indicator that specifies tire location, or simply a generic warning that says at least one tire is low?

Would my spare likely have come with TPMS stock, providing monitoring of all five tires?

Does the TPMS system adapt to tire rotation and spare tire changes, wherin correct location is still reflected after positions change?

Thanks for any guidance!
Old 01-28-11, 10:06 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

It's a generic light; not wheel specific.

As I understand, the light comes on when any tire dips a few psi below its target.

Air 'em back up and let it ride.

Why replace all four if it's just one that's unrepairable? Get two instead? Put the spare into the rotation assuming it's the same as the other 4 and they all have about the same mileage on them...

Good luck with the truck and you know who.
Old 01-29-11, 07:44 AM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Zip,

I live here in Las Vegas and have the same GX. Nine times out of ten it's going to be the spare tire. Mine just recently lit up and it was my spare. Happens every year in winter for me. I had a 06 4Runner, same TPMS system. Have her swing by the dealer or a nice shop and get them to check all five tires for her.

Honestly, if you know someone in town, or she has a girlfriend with a BF or husband, have them look at the tires. I can't stand tire shops who try to sell in twos and fours preying on the "family saftey" aspect. Shoot, send her by Camp Bow Wow Sun-Wed from 7-9, I'll look at them. Haha! I deal in dogs not tires but at least can give you guys an honest answer.
Old 01-29-11, 07:08 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

As Johnny said, not location indicator, just a warning light letting you know you have a leak in one more tires. TPMS sensors can be found on all 5 wheels/tires. Get your spare changed out and that will solve your problem.
Old 01-31-11, 04:00 AM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Thanks for the feedback guys. To clarify the reason why one puncture leads to four new tires ... they are the original Dunlaps with 60+ K and have little tread remaining. I could just run the never-used spare (as I am temporarily), but it is just forcing a transaction that was coming before too long anyhow. My only real concern was getting jammed into an unwanted tire choice or paying more than necessary for a desired tire choice, in my absence. Yeah, they tire guy that tried to play on my wife's emotions is a POS, and I called his boss to tell him how I felt about it. There was some back-peddling ("he meant yo need a safe spare ASAP"), and the circumstance will likely play into a super deal on my new tires, since I am a many-time repeat customer. It will likely be a set of Michelin LTX A/T 2 tires in stock 265 size when I get home later this week. LTX M/S 2 a close second, but I like the off-road upper-hand of the A/T. Both have great reviews. "No" to the Cross-terrain due to ceased production, resulting on availability concerns if I have to replace one. "No" to Latitude Tour because it's unproven (not really a big concern with a Michelin) and more 100% road-oriented.

I also want to share my TPMS sensor decision. Costco installs a "service pack" and Discount Tire (America's Tire) "rebuilds," both terms meaning some new seals and a replacement stem, in order to limit leak risk and corrosion within the actual TPMS sending unit. They both say "don't even think about it" when it comes to a preventative replacement of the sensors on my 2005. They are seeing very few problems, including battery depletion. The only quantifiable, high-failure rate they are seeing is with some GM units that came out as early as 2002. Tire industry consensus seems to be that many TPMS batteries, including Toyota/Lexus, are going to hit up to 12 years. These opinions are coming from shops that could easily try to sell me $500+ in sensors. Additionally, Discount Tire says that a generic replacement TPMS sensor that will be suitable for the Lexus is almost to market - they will be about $50 each. After buying a set of tires through them, they will later replace and reprogram sensors for free labor if they go bad. So my call is to keep what I've got until problems arise.
Old 01-31-11, 09:16 AM
Bob GX
Driver

Originally Posted by zippinbye
. It will likely be a set of Michelin LTX A/T 2 .
zip
I've got the A/T2 tires on my pickup - they have good off road traction and are also good on snow and I like them a lot. At highway speeds of 70 or more they do have some road noise - kind of a humming sound. It's not a problem on the truck - the diesel engine isn't all that quiet to begin with. Also, it might not be the same on the GX which has a lot better suspension & noise insulation than the truck. If you value the off road more than the highway the A/T2 is a good way to go IMO.
Bob
Old 01-31-11, 05:26 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Default Noise

Originally Posted by Bob GX
zip
I've got the A/T2 tires on my pickup - they have good off road traction and are also good on snow and I like them a lot. At highway speeds of 70 or more they do have some road noise - kind of a humming sound. It's not a problem on the truck - the diesel engine isn't all that quiet to begin with. Also, it might not be the same on the GX which has a lot better suspension & noise insulation than the truck. If you value the off road more than the highway the A/T2 is a good way to go IMO.
Bob
Thanks Bob GX. Noise was my only hesitation. I read dozens of reviews, both from Tire Rack and Discount Tire Online, and I'd say about 10 percent mentioned there being some noise. Most made no reference to noise at all. And about 20 percent commented on how quiet A/T 2s are. Mind you, most of the reviews were from a mix of different vehicles, including HD diesel trucks and large American SUVs. There were about 10 GX and LX/FJ-100 owners that weighed in, and only one said there was any noise. So I'd say there is a slight risk there will be noise that I dislike. I don't recall any GX owners on CL that had a noise issue. But my buy decision was made easy by my local Discount Tire dealer; "bring them back if the noise is a problem, and we'll put on the M/S 2s and refund a few bucks, since the A/Ts cost a bit more." I'm not seeing a downside to giving the A/T a try. I will provide feedback when I get a feel for the tires.
Old 01-31-11, 08:01 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Normally if the TPIS has lost the link with the ECU, you will get the flash, that will not mean that the TPIS has failed, you need to re-flash the settings, which is available with the dealers, The jobs involves around 2 hours, wherein all the sensors IDs are input into the ECU with the related tire psi settings.
Old 02-03-11, 12:15 PM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mann777
Normally if the TPIS has lost the link with the ECU, you will get the flash, that will not mean that the TPIS has failed, you need to re-flash the settings, which is available with the dealers, The jobs involves around 2 hours, wherein all the sensors IDs are input into the ECU with the related tire psi settings.
I done that 4 month ago 3 out 4 sensors failed so I had to replace all four. They are $80 each(wholesale price) in my case they rusted. And like you mention they have to be reprogrammed.
Old 02-04-11, 12:45 PM
mann777

I do not know if you are aware, sometimes the TPIS sensors go in sleep mode,thereby the cluster Flashes with TPIS warning this needs to be reactivated by loosing the Air valve and releasing the tire pressure by 6 psi under 30 secs. This method is called as "Wake up" to have the sensor activated. Many dealers do not have time for troubleshooting and go in for a straight forward replacement theory. And tell the customers all the sensor are dead replacement. Some dealers do this method, they are genuine for example Sewell.
Old 02-10-11, 02:10 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be sure to check the simple things first. Ensure your wife didn't hit the "TPMS a/b switch" on the lower-right part of the dash under the steering wheel. She may be on the b/winter-set, which I'm guessing would show TPMS failure.
Old 02-12-11, 07:52 PM
mann777

Stiles, By depressing the switch within the Glove Compartment which is called the 2nd S/w does not alter the TPIS or indicate failure, but would only read the alternate PSI setting for Snow Tire PSI Setting, if this has been stored by the dealer via the Scan tool on the ECM.
Old 02-13-11, 03:20 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the glovebox? Mine's down by my right knee. Switching to the 2nd setting doesn't look for the winter sensors and fail if it doesn't find them?
Old 02-13-11, 07:37 PM
mann777

Stiles, let me give you a brief about the Main/2nd Switch. The Owner can have 2 different sets of Tires and wheels with 2 different sets of Tire pressure Warning Valve Sensors ID numbers. For example The second set would be used for Snow tires, You need to register both the main and the 2nd set of Tire pressure Warning valve / Sensor ID numbers in the TPWS ECU, using the scan tool. You will 2 option for your ride. Main - That is standard Driving or should say regular use tires and the Position is "UP". The next is 2nd Switch, position "DOWN" for snow use tires.
Now what it seems the values for the 2nd set has not been stored, you would have to go to the dealer to this. hope this helps.
Old 03-26-11, 06:10 PM
khmer470
Rookie

Haha, mine still on for 6month now. when i start the car it flashs for 30 sec. then stop.
haven't had a chance to go to the dealer yet. the tires are ok with it. but i notice one of my valve is having difficulty to take the air in from compressor. my final assumtion is that particular one sonsor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)