Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Timing Belt Replacement Cost?

Old 08-04-14, 12:40 PM   #61
Taco_Kid
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tz693 View Post
Great work and nice write-up. Appreciate if you can post the picture of the old belt and the fraying section.
after careful inspection old vs new, its not fraying, but rather just where the stitching seems to end. not even sure why they are like this, but new belt has the same.

and i noted in another post, i thought the belt markings on new belt were off, but they are not, i had to turn belt around so that the arrow marks on belt face forward. i saw other installs on u tube where the arrows were facing rearward, but then they guy noted he just transferred marks from old to new and put belt on, his timing is good but belt is on backwards. i verified my old belt marks to new belt marks and they match up (verified 3 times just to be sure).

and btw, the autozone site gives some ok pics and torque settings for stuff.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by Taco_Kid; 08-04-14 at 02:02 PM..
Taco_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 11:11 AM   #62
Taco_Kid
Pole Position

some pics

here's water pump weep leak
Click the image to open in full size.

here's oem and new belt fiber strands. they have a direction, so be sure your new belt matches the direction of the old belt (and i mean direction of the fiber ends, etc). the markings on my new belt matched the direction of these strands. if the open ends of new belt dont match the old belt when you put new belt on using new belt markings (in my case arrows forward) then you need to investigate further. it makes a big diff how the open ends of these strands enter a gear tooth as the belt goes around.

and then here's the crank seal. so, you will need a very sharp awl to get the old seal out. i drove point up into middle of seal section at about 60 degrees from crank centerline, but i also tilted the awl so point was more towards the crank and not the AL housing. the steel of crank is much harder and less likely to gal if you went to aggressive with awl, etc. i used small hammer to easily hit awl so point would pierce into seal. you know how deep the seal is, juts look at the new one, so dont bang awl in too deep. then you pry it out, use small piece of wood as a wedge to pry against, etc. for new seal, i put light coat of full synth motor oil on inside and outside of seal, it will basically push in with fingers, i then use a blunt piece of wood to lightly tap the seal into seating area, make some easy taps all around the seal to make sure the whole seal is in place.

and some extra notes.
i can see where some things can go wrong when a dealer tries to jam all this work into 8hrs or work. sure, it can be done, but i have already found dealer work to be lacking in quality. take your time and do it right. as example, taking that extra 30-45min to make sure the water pump seal surfaces are clean and free from burrs is well wort the extra time. if you use any type of rag to wipe the surfaces (i use old cotton T shirts, usually with lacquer thinner on just the metal parts) be sure to used compressed air (lightly) to blow off any rag fibers. make sure gasket is clean, blow off to make sure, do not use cleaners on this part.

also, you need a torq wrench, several of them. the specs range from in-lb to almost 200ft-lb. the harbor freight ones are accurate enough for this work. i use half-drop of blue locktight on all threaded fasteners, this helps achieve torq setting target and help to prevent backout, etc. you dont want to over-do anything. proper torq is a must, and using too much locktight is bad.

Last edited by Taco_Kid; 08-05-14 at 11:35 AM..
Old 08-07-14, 07:50 AM   #63
Taco_Kid
Pole Position

two more pics, inside the intake is a neat one.

Old 08-10-14, 10:11 PM   #64
Taco_Kid
Pole Position

just some additional info. while doing this service i highly recommend replacing the fan bracket support. the bearing on mine had some minor bearing grease "oozing" out on the backside, and, there is a small wobble on the shaft. i'll post pics later.
Old 08-12-14, 08:25 AM   #65
Taco_Kid
Pole Position

a few more pics, some stuff to look for.

thermostat seal has failed after 100k miles

and then some would say a tad obsessive, but while i could i used my porting/polishing tools, small cone stone and polishing point to knock down the sharp edges, might not seem like much but it helps fluid flow.
goose neck

stat housing

Last edited by Taco_Kid; 08-19-14 at 07:04 AM..
Old 08-12-14, 09:39 AM   #66
tz693
Driver

Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-12-14, 10:34 AM   #67
Taco_Kid
Pole Position

here's back side of fan bracket, bearing leaking grease just a tad. if i grab the wheel i can feel a small click (very small movement). the new one has zero play.

Old 08-12-14, 11:40 AM   #68
Taco_Kid
Pole Position

i saw some posts elsewhere asking about the type of silicone used for the thermostat gooseneck. no need for that over-the-OEM-counter stuff.

i used Permatex 22071
(http://www.permatex.com/documents/TD...tive/22071.pdf).
(http://www.permatex.com/products-2/p...-gasket-detail)
let cure 24hrs before filling system.

be sure to clean out the groove and faces good, i used very small screwdriver to scrap out what i could from the groove, then used a small brass wire wheel on dremel, followed by lacquer thinner cleaning with lint free rag.

as for applying the rtv, well, i pierced small hole in center of tube then held tip of tube flat against the face centered over groove, then squeeze out rtv to fill groove while moving around to fill the whole groove. then add a light coat using same method to the water pump face keeping the track about centered where the neck groove will meet. not too much goop, you dont want a huge amount squishing out on the inside, etc. this all works better if you have a cone dispenser to screw onto the rtv tube, then you can simply fill the groove with a bead that sticks up like the pic shown, etc. you have to remember that the two faces are machined fairly flat, thus any goop on the faces will squish out, etc. you only need 13ft-lb on this housing (neck to water pump).

Last edited by Taco_Kid; 08-19-14 at 07:03 AM..
Old 08-13-14, 07:18 AM   #69
chiph9
Pole Position

That's a surprising amount of wear on the thermostat housing. I thought the coolant was silicate-free?

Chip H.
Old 08-13-14, 07:36 AM   #70
Taco_Kid
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiph9 View Post
That's a surprising amount of wear on the thermostat housing. I thought the coolant was silicate-free?

Chip H.
what wear are you seeing on t-stat housing? post #65?? if that post then i did manual grinding of both pieces to smooth down the sharp edges.
Old 08-13-14, 02:19 PM   #71
chiph9
Pole Position

Ooops. Didn't notice you saying that. Yeah, that would improve flow.

Chip H.
Old 08-13-14, 03:32 PM   #72
Taco_Kid
Pole Position

got it up and running today, no issues at this 1st 15min of idle run. did my AC refill too using Yellow Jacket #49987 and a harbor freight 3cfm 2-stage vac, i am getting 40F out the vent according to my IR temp gun. 26oz of 134a, one 12oz Dupont w/ dye, and another 14oz. i need to recheck coolant. i am also installing a HID conversion kit.
Old 08-23-14, 12:35 PM   #73
vxphan
Driver School Candidate

I just got it done from Lexus dealers. Premium timing belt service + detailing inside-out out of the door $1630. Feel great now
vxphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 02:33 PM   #74
ALAN553
Lead Lap

What's the difference between a premium timing belt service and a regular one ?
ALAN553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 03:59 PM   #75
Taco_Kid
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN553 View Post
What's the difference between a premium timing belt service and a regular one ?
i suspect the "premium" means they install more new parts, whereas non-premium might be minimal items? i believe Toyota maintenance for 90k is the same for everyone, no choice unless dealer goes beyond that?

but post #73, what all did they do?
Old 08-23-14, 03:59 PM