Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Timing Belt Replacement Cost?

Old 04-19-13, 03:43 PM   #46
ROSCOGX470
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

Just had my TB and waterpump done at an Indy. I bought a kit that has the factory Aisin waterpump and mitsoboshi belt, it includes tensioners and bearings. It was Appx. $300 from Rock Auto. The labor was $340 cash. $640 total out the door was awesome. I was nervous having it done locally rather than Lexus dealership after reading threads about interference engines and if not installed correctly ruining your engine. Truck ran great on my ride home so figured it was done correctly- I assume
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
ROSCOGX470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-13, 10:48 PM   #47
bauer26
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco_Kid View Post
has anyone experienced a failed timing belt? anyone still running original belt above 80k miles? any DIY write-ups for the work? i would tackle this work myself since the comlete parts list to do the job is available, etc.
Ummmmm, we got no maint record when we bought our 04 GX with 117K on it but I assume we are still on an original timing belt. Prior owners didn't seem to take too great of care of the truck so I can't assume they did a timing belt at all. Its currently at 136k now and running strong (if only i can fix a squeal from the A/C compressor). Any idea what would make a new(er) timing belt obvious that it is a replacement?
bauer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-13, 08:09 AM   #48
IanB2
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer26 View Post
Ummmmm, we got no maint record when we bought our 04 GX with 117K on it but I assume we are still on an original timing belt. Prior owners didn't seem to take too great of care of the truck so I can't assume they did a timing belt at all. Its currently at 136k now and running strong (if only i can fix a squeal from the A/C compressor). Any idea what would make a new(er) timing belt obvious that it is a replacement?
Well, if it's an aftermarket brand timing belt that's really the only way you can tell without records. Otherwise a sticker, or marker showing when it was changed on the timing belt cover, or an entry in the owner's manual stating when it was done. Otherwise, assume it hasn't, and get it done ASAP.
IanB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-13, 06:01 PM   #49
stiles_s
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer26 View Post
I don't think there are any telltale signs. And, when it goes it's (based on what I know) catastrophic. Not something to play chicken with, IMO.
Old 05-06-13, 01:45 PM   #50
Cooterk
Driver School Candidate

Default Timing Belt

Sorry to bump this thread but I just got my 06' back from the dealer today in NC. They did the TB, WP (said it was slowly leaking around the seal) main drive belt, 90k service, new wiper inserts. Total was $1457. I got a quote at Toyota and it was about $1100 but that was without the 90k service. I did get a quote at an Indy and they wanted around $600 plus parts. I would have saved about $300-400 if I went that route but honestly it is nice knowing I'm all buttoned up with the brake flush, new cabin, air filters and am good to go for another 30k. Plus they gave me a 2013 RX to wail on for the weekend.

The tech said on one of the CV boots( front left side) is leaking a little grease around the clamp. SA said they'll monitor at next oil change and can repack/ replace clamp if they see it starting to leak bad without rebuilding. Has anyone heard of this? SA has been great and seems to know the truck well.
Cooterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-14, 12:14 PM   #51
SmittysGX
Driver

Good thread, im gonna check current pricing at Sewell....
SmittysGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-14, 02:32 PM   #52
SmittysGX
Driver

Got it done....the kit from Sewell seemed to be missing a few things needed for the job. I just picked mine up and we have all new stuff!!! Got new Timing belt, both idlers, water pump, thermostat, cam seals, crank seal and coolant. should be good for another 90K!!!
Old 01-16-14, 03:21 PM   #53
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittysGX View Post
Got it done....the kit from Sewell seemed to be missing a few things needed for the job. I just picked mine up and we have all new stuff!!! Got new Timing belt, both idlers, water pump, thermostat, cam seals, crank seal and coolant. should be good for another 90K!!!
Since this is a replacement cost thread, how much was the labor?

▲ click the pic to view my mods ▲
- Lifted 2.5" » Front Icon Coilovers w/ CDC Valve ❚ Rear Bilstein 5100s
18" BFD Wheels ❚ 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers
HID Retro *SC430 Projectors* ❚ Interior & Exterior LEDs
VaisTech ❚ Coastal Lockpick
Sport Taillights
5% Llumar CTX Tint All Around
RCsGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-14, 06:45 PM   #54
SmittysGX
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCsGX View Post
Since this is a replacement cost thread, how much was the labor?
I paid $450 in labor….
Old 01-16-14, 07:24 PM   #55
burny
Lexus Test Driver

not bad price with the cam seals in there
burny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-14, 07:51 PM   #56
burny
Lexus Test Driver

I have not seen much chatter on valve cover gaskets on the GX. What mileage are these starting to wear and leak? I would guess 100k based on GS300 experience
burny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-14, 08:07 AM   #57
IanB2
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by burny View Post
I have not seen much chatter on valve cover gaskets on the GX. What mileage are these starting to wear and leak? I would guess 100k based on GS300 experience
No chatter = no issues, GS300 experience is irrelevant here, totally different engine.
IanB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-14, 11:41 AM   #58
Taco_Kid
Pole Position

i am doing the 90k maintenance this weekend (odo reads 100k). i have found a few other things that need attention too.

anyone have stories for the cam sensor? should i replace mine while i have things open? do they last "forever"??

i'll add some pics and writeup later, but for my 2006 GX470 i took radiator out, just gives so much more room to work in the bay. now, doing so means you have to deal with tranny lines one the radiator. i undid the lines where the rubber hose meets the hard line. its a tad tricky to do this right w/o losing fluid (recall, adding tranny fluid to this suv is a pita). push back the hose clamp, then use small screwdriver to wedge in between hose and hardline, do this in about 4-5 positions around the line, etc, then grab hose tightly with hand and twist to loosen. now, once they come apart fluid will run all over. so, to prevent fluid leaking out i used the HELP #473995 rubber cap for hardline, and then i used the black vacuum adapter found in HELP #47308 (from autozone). but, i put silicone in the end of the vacuum tubes and let sit overnight before use. now you have a plug and cap that you use when you pull apart hose from hardline. i had cap in my hand while separating, as soon as they come apart quickly place your thumb over the end of the hose and with other hand quickly push the cap onto hardline, then reach and grab your plug and plug the hose. you may lose a smidge of oil, no worries, thats fine.

tip - these vacuum plastics are made like a barb, so to make removal a tad easier (recommended) cut just a little bit of the barb edge with razor at 45 degrees (or use file), makes it so much easier to remove.

what i found was, the foam piece under radiator, completely disintegrated, and i found a sensor located near oil filer leaking a smidge of oil, this item needs a new gasket. i am doing more than the 90k stuff too. radiator hoses and some other stuff i have, but i think i will replace the fan clutch and serpentine (again). dealer did serpentine not too long ago but i noticed they didnt remove the sticker(s) that were on the belt and those stickers i found were wedged in the grooves of two pulleys, and the flat pulleys have some crud on them. i will clean it all up and put on a new belt. with having to make order for the below mess-up i am doing fan clutch and the fan clutch bearing/bracket, + a couple of cabin charcoal wix filters.

edit: dont let this happen to you. after getting crank pulley bolt off using air impact, the pulley was a tad stuck. after knocking it easily with rubber mallet i was able to yank it off with my hands, but i had to use some force, it broke away and the momentum carried it right into the AC condenser !! the damage is enough for me to not risk it, now need to buy a new one !! yikes, the part is about $67 online (rockauto AC Delco item) and a $10 AC system gasket kit, but i'll need AC vac'd and new 134a installed. probably a $150 accident (f-up) on my part. so, w/ or w/o removing radiator i recommend you protect the inside face of the radiator/condenser with a piece of luan or something to avoid accident like this. what a pita, but i guess shiat like this happens.

edit: i wound up buying a very nice Yellow Jacket 4 valve manifold set, that alone cost me $170. but, i can use it for other systems too.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Taco_Kid; 08-19-14 at 07:08 AM..
Taco_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-14, 11:34 AM   #59
Taco_Kid
Pole Position

just an update. at 100k miles the original belt did not have any chunks missing from teeth, but, two teeth were showing some fraying of the fibers. i will post lots of pics after i finish my service.

i opted to replace both cam and crank sensors too.

so, the 90k mile service is a good #. for me, my gx470 is not driven hard, but at 100k miles it definitely was time to do the service and then some, etc.

extra stuff:
crank seal (i have cam seals but no doing them)
cam & crank sensors
tensioner and tensioner bearing assembly
idler bearing
fan clutch
radiator hoses
AC condenser (an accident, so now have to replace)
fan pulley bracket/support
spark plugs

Last edited by Taco_Kid; 08-19-14 at 07:04 AM..
Taco_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-14, 12:15 PM   #60
tz693
Driver

Great work and nice write-up. Appreciate if you can post the picture of the old belt and the fraying section.
Old 08-04-14, 12:15 PM