Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Timing Belt Replacement Cost?

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-11, 09:37 AM   #16
ebradford
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MA
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470 View Post
Nice. That's a good price for that kit. I paid $335.50 in parts at Jaffarian Toyota, though that also included a new $74 serpentine belt to replace the original one that came on the truck. (I seriously need a good Toyota mechanic who wants to work on the side. The labor cost for the timing belt, water pump and serpentine belt was an ***-puckering $515.) Then again, the labor at the Lexus dealer would have easily run several hundred more. Just because it's a luxury vehicle doesn't mean that I am eager to overpay for service. (Yes, the creature comforts are better at Lexus but if I'm just dropping it off, I don't really care about a free cup of coffee.)

I really can't complain, though. The GX is a beast and aside from the usual wear-out items (rotors, pads, tires) and regular maintenance, it's been a very reliable and capable vehicle.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
ebradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 10:17 AM   #17
mann777
Moderator
Trader Score: (0)
 
mann777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: EARTH
Posts: 1,160
Default

The W/Pump would be an inspection, only if they found a leak that would go in for a replacement, as this is not a mandatory as part of the 90Mile replacement. That was same done for me and did not require replacement, but the rest went in ie plugs, coolant T/Belt, Fan Belt, Engine Oil. A/T Oil,Brake Fluid,Differential Oils and the related filters. I had also had the PCV Valve replaced. And the A/C has been just verygood ( knock on wood).
__________________
LS400-1994/GX470-2004(KDSS) (HIS)
**********************
Ability is what you're capable of doing...
Motivation determines what you do...
Attitude determines how well you do it.
mann777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 12:31 PM   #18
ebradford
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MA
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mann777 View Post
The W/Pump would be an inspection, only if they found a leak that would go in for a replacement, as this is not a mandatory as part of the 90Mile replacement. That was same done for me and did not require replacement, but the rest went in ie plugs, coolant T/Belt, Fan Belt, Engine Oil. A/T Oil,Brake Fluid,Differential Oils and the related filters. I had also had the PCV Valve replaced. And the A/C has been just verygood ( knock on wood).
it's the age-old replace a working part as a preventative measure or only when it fails/leaks problem. i fall into the former camp myself. i got burned by this with a previous car that i waited on the water pump, which of course started leaking long before the timing belt needed to be replaced again. the pump itself isn't cheap ($170) but then again, neither is the labor to get at it again.
ebradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 08:32 AM   #19
gusung75
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL
Posts: 13
Default

Hi,

My 2004 GX is past due for 90k service, specifically, TB. Anyone in northwest suburb of Chicago that can share price information?

Thanks.
gusung75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-11, 09:19 AM   #20
rrolff
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: ca
Posts: 13
Default

We did our timing a few months ago... From memory, random generic parts kit cost was $240 delivered (water pump, timing belt, tensioners, and something else (forgot what)).

A local shop put it all in for $400 cash....
rrolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-11, 07:58 PM   #21
LifeEnjoyr
Driver
Trader Score: (1)
 
LifeEnjoyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 130
rogerma lifeenjoyer
Default

I think you should be able to get the timing belt + water pump done for under a grand. I got my radiator, timing belt, water pump, spark plugs and all air filters replaced for $950 from someone we know who works as a mechanic at Toyota.
LifeEnjoyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-11, 09:53 AM   #22
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (2)
 
Pearlpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 7,076
Default

Anything under 1K at a dealer would be a decent price. I did ours including WP, belt, new rollers, tensioner bearing, coolant, etc. for well under $250.00. We only have 60k or so miles if not less, but changed it out due to age, and I do beat the thing pretty good.
__________________
GX470 w/dual exhaust, KNN CAI, 55w HIDs &35w HID fogs,LED side markers, Vaistech, etc. AMG E55 10sec, with no cheater gas, other project cars.
Z32 Project-800hp track car.
Prior, blown GS400, SC430, SC400,SC300, IS300, many others
Pearlpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 07:16 AM   #23
gusung75
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL
Posts: 13
Default

For those in the area that are in need of 90K or TB/WP service, here are some quotes from different dealerships

Lexus Schaumburg
Quote From Service Rep 1: 90K: $647; TB: $750 ($1397); WP $340; Total: $1737
Quote From Service Rep 2: 90K: $649; TB: $775 ($1424); WP: $420; Total: $1842
=> $200 difference at the same dealership
Lexus Palatine
90K+TB: $750 ($1374); WP $311;
Special: TB+WP ($866) AND 90K ($687); Total: $1533

Lexus Highland Park
90K:494.95 ; TB+WP: $1130 ; Total: $1524.95

Schaumburg Toyota
90K: $642 TB: $599 $; WP: $340; Total: $1581
gusung75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 06:10 PM   #24
Taco_Kid
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: az
Posts: 297
Default

my 2006 (~63k miles) alternator bearing went a few weeks back. ~500 for alternator and ~200 install at dealer..... while they had it torn apart i asked them to do the belt. inital quote for belt was 60, but when i got the bill it was 115 for the belt, so i said WTF. dealer admitted they misquoted the part and agreed to give me a 50 credit at the dealer. then i complained to Lexus direct about the alternator going south so early and about its ridiculous price and they gave me a 500 voucher that never expires. so now i have 550 at the dealer for next major service issue, etc.

i think a honest price to do just a belt is about 100 for the belt and 100-200 in labor (at the dealer, etc).
Taco_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 07:08 PM   #25
ALAN553
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: nj
Posts: 547
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco_Kid View Post
my 2006 (~63k miles) alternator bearing went a few weeks back. ~500 for alternator and ~200 install at dealer..... while they had it torn apart i asked them to do the belt. inital quote for belt was 60, but when i got the bill it was 115 for the belt, so i said WTF. dealer admitted they misquoted the part and agreed to give me a 50 credit at the dealer. then i complained to Lexus direct about the alternator going south so early and about its ridiculous price and they gave me a 500 voucher that never expires. so now i have 550 at the dealer for next major service issue, etc.

i think a honest price to do just a belt is about 100 for the belt and 100-200 in labor (at the dealer, etc).
You talking a timing belt or a serpentine belt?
ALAN553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 07:19 PM   #26
Taco_Kid
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: az
Posts: 297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN553 View Post
You talking a timing belt or a serpentine belt?
sorry, my bad, i did mean the outside serp belt.
Taco_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 05:48 PM   #27
kphu
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (7)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 1,475
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ken-phu/5/556/326/
Default

I just did the 90K service through my bro who's a former Toyo tech. He did the TB, WP, Tune Up, Thermostat, checked all fluids ( i bought the fluids - ATF, Gear Fluid, etc. but didn't need them replaced). Parts cost me $300 from toyo dealer (his discnt through peeps he know still wrking at the dlrshp) and since my bro is currently not working and drove up to MA just to fix my car I gave him $400 and paid for lunch and dinner.If my math is correct I paid abt $800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebradford View Post
(I seriously need a good Toyota mechanic who wants to work on the side. The labor cost for the timing belt, water pump and serpentine belt was an ***-puckering $515.)
If you haven't done the wrk yet, let me know. I'm sure he's open to some side work right now.

Any body in the Philly area. I'm sure he'll be willing to do the wrk but his tools are out in western part of MA so a little difficult unless you got tools and garage at your hse.
__________________

1994 ES300 Sold
2002 GS430 - NAV, MLS, GR2 w/Tiens spring, TTE 19s.
2003 GX470 - NAV, MLS, T4R 18s.
Sometimes the sun shines on a monkey's azz...I wonder when that azz would be mine.
kphu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 10:48 PM   #28
ROK
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NW
Posts: 493
Default

Ahhhh feels good to get a new belt! I'm just shy of 90K and got my TB replaced along with:

-Thermostat (preventative)
-Serpentine belt (p)
-Pulleys (p)
-Tensioner (p)
-Water pump (some seepage)
-Coolant

Cam seals looked fine so did nothing since I understand the VVTI engines are a bit more work than the non-VVTIs.

$980 out the door at a dealer (typical pricing more along the lines of $1700) and also got a new Tundra loaner. It's a beast of a truck, but glad to be back in my mom-mobile.
ROK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 08:11 AM   #29
stiles_s
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROK View Post
Ahhhh feels good to get a new belt! I'm just shy of 90K and got my TB replaced along with:

-Thermostat (preventative)
-Serpentine belt (p)
-Pulleys (p)
-Tensioner (p)
-Water pump (some seepage)
-Coolant

Cam seals looked fine so did nothing since I understand the VVTI engines are a bit more work than the non-VVTIs.

$980 out the door at a dealer (typical pricing more along the lines of $1700) and also got a new Tundra loaner. It's a beast of a truck, but glad to be back in my mom-mobile.
Mind sharing which dealer you used? One up in Seattle?
__________________
'07 GX470 Sport
stiles_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-12, 02:51 PM   #30
DrewGX470
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9
Default

Just dropped my 05 off at the Toyota dealer. $429 for tb + $80 for serpentine belt. They will check water pump and change it if need be.
DrewGX470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-12, 02:51 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
470, belt, chain, change, cost, envoy, gmc, gx, gx470, lexus, quote, replacement, replacing, sc430, timing

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Independent Repair Shop in Houston Options2k GX - First Generation 2 12-08-13 07:39 AM
90,000 miles service: Lexus vs Toyota Dealership glassmanj Hybrid Technology 1 03-04-13 07:45 PM
Timing Belt - How to compare costs, Where (San Jose / San Francisco Bay Area, CA) cl0112 ES300 and ES330 3 01-17-12 05:25 PM
Cost of replacing a timing belt vinster29 RX - First Generation 3 04-20-07 10:15 PM
I Had Fun Installing New Timing Belt This Weekend gserep1 Maintenance 9 02-26-07 12:03 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:52 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info