GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Best replacement tire - 08 GX470

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-11, 07:36 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by zippinbye
Consider the other Michelins over the Cross Terrain. As RAINMN suggested, you will be sorely disappointed if you cash in on a road hazard warranty a year or more from now. CTs are discontinued and the inventory will be purged. Guess what, you have to buy the opposing side tire, and your replacement went from free to $250 or more, and you have a mismatched set of tires. Costco and most reputable tire shops will not put one odd tire on for a warranty claim, regardless of tread remaining on the others ... been there with Michelins on my LS. Four years, three RH claims where I had to buy two tires to keep matched due to "product evolution" ... so I bought six total, and installed nine tires (yes, my wife likes braille curb-finding and has bad luck with sharp objects) in less than one treadlife cycle, and only had a matched set for a short while. Mind you I sold the LS with decent tires and a varying 40% tread remaining, but despite solid road hazard coverage, I had to buy a set and a half to keep rolling throughout one set's lifetime. Having bought my GX in September, I thought I had about a year remaining on some Dunlaps. I just got the "$1100 screw," both literally and figuratively. A non-repairable wood screw puncture in the shoulder area. So now I'm looking at a whole set of Michelins. I'd like to have more feedback on the Lattitudes, because for the reasons stated above I believe they will have the best chance of remaining "current" for a typical lifespan. I'm tempted by a lot of good feedback on the LTX, but fear design changes may be pending for this proven tire. But the CT is out of consideration based on past experience and the reality that most of us don't get to 60,000 or so without a tire mishap.
And that is why I have a spare. I am replacing with CT's while they are still available. I will also replace my spare CT tire that is going on 6 yrs old with a new one so that in the event I have a catastrophic tire failure I will have a back-up CT. Not to mention, the chances of damaging one of these tires beyond repair/patch is very unlikely.
Old 01-24-11, 07:57 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
And that is why I have a spare. I am replacing with CT's while they are still available. I will also replace my spare CT tire that is going on 6 yrs old with a new one so that in the event I have a catastrophic tire failure I will have a back-up CT. Not to mention, the chances of damaging one of these tires beyond repair/patch is very unlikely.
The LTX M/S 2 are almost identical to the CT. The treadwear rating is actually much higher on the LTX(720 as opposed to 420 on CT). Both are top notch tires. My CT's are going on 5 years old and no dry rot so I'll run them til they wear down to under 5/32's.