GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2008 gx470 vs x5 4.8

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-11, 04:26 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HAIL TO THE GX470!!!
Old 01-12-11, 04:44 PM
askhao
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, bmw does have a bad image for reliability rating overall, but you would be surprised how many happy owners there are with X5's of great reliability as well. I am one of those happy owners. My dad has had the X5 since new in 2003, and is now mine as of last year. The car has not had any problems at all since new. So don't give up yet! Also, the X5 is extremely safe when it comes to accidents as well.

If you would like more info on the X5, I recommend www.xoutpost.com. I am a regular member there. The members are extremely friendly and knowledgable, not to mention unbiased as compared to many members of this board.

Good luck on your search!
Old 01-12-11, 06:04 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Originally Posted by askhao
If you would like more info on the X5, I recommend www.xoutpost.com. I am a regular member there. The members are extremely friendly and knowledgable, not to mention unbiased as compared to many members of this board.

Good luck on your search!
It's fairly difficult to not be bias when you look at the sheer numbers of reported issues when comparing Lexus to BMW. That said, I do love the way they look and drive. As you get older, the less you want to be concerned with visits to the dealership, too many other responsibilities to simply add one more unnessesary one.

I will say this about BMW that has ALWAYS turned me off about the company. They come out so frequently with refreshes that slightly older models look REALLY old. Take your X5. I love that body style, then they came out with another one and it makes the 1st gen look very dated. Of course this is very true of all brands but it just seems to me that BMW refreshes a bit too often.

And to contradict myself, if I was Jay Leno (and I'm not in ANY way) I would have a corner of my garge occupied by one of these...

Old 01-12-11, 07:08 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The orig M3 is awesome ... gimme a '91 M3 with evo oem parts.

Then again, there isn't a M3 that I wouldn't take.

I was kinda close on pulling the trigger on a cherry '91 M6 about 10 years ago. That's one that I'll always remember getting away from me.
Old 01-13-11, 08:51 AM
prwdmd
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Booyah
2001-2005 filled our shops and they never left without a 1-3K bill every time! They are moneymakers--2001-2002 are the Worse X5's ever.

You ever have the crankcase vent valve go out on your X5--maybe once a year lol. stupid azz design and failed all the time
Yeah... I realize that my 2001 X5 was one of the worst model years... and they have probably improved a little... but check consumer reports... they still have horrible reliability ratings. You are exactly right... a $1000-3000 bill every time it was in the shop, especially at the dealership. I actually find the Lexus service department to be cheap compared to what I would pay for similar work at the BMW dealer.
Old 01-13-11, 10:13 AM
askhao
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BLUEGXLVCR
It's fairly difficult to not be bias when you look at the sheer numbers of reported issues when comparing Lexus to BMW. That said, I do love the way they look and drive. As you get older, the less you want to be concerned with visits to the dealership, too many other responsibilities to simply add one more unnessesary one.

I will say this about BMW that has ALWAYS turned me off about the company. They come out so frequently with refreshes that slightly older models look REALLY old. Take your X5. I love that body style, then they came out with another one and it makes the 1st gen look very dated. Of course this is very true of all brands but it just seems to me that BMW refreshes a bit too often.

And to contradict myself, if I was Jay Leno (and I'm not in ANY way) I would have a corner of my garge occupied by one of these...

I fully agree that lexus is more reliable overall, which is the reason that I'm looking into lexus for a second car. I don't blame anyone for being biased towards the reliability, but there are many that swear by lexus for whatever reason is beyond me. I am very open-minded when it comes to cars. It can be of any make, as long as I enjoy it.

Also, refreshes or facelifts aren't always better. Many prefer pre-facelift over facelift, or an older generation over a newer. Take yourself for example, you like the E30 M3. there has been 3 generations of M3's since, and you chose to point out the E30 M3 over the newest E9X.
Old 01-13-11, 02:57 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have owned 2 X5's, 03 and 05 both 4.4 fully loaded with sport package.
I have also owned 2 GX470, 08 sold and now I just have a 05 with KDSS.

I needed the extra room and a rig that can truly go off road. The GX does it all and the KDSS makes it handle so much better than the 08 GX I had without.

If I did not need offroad capabilities and more room I would be driving a X5 diesel.
Old 01-13-11, 06:38 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Originally Posted by askhao
Also, refreshes or facelifts aren't always better. Many prefer pre-facelift over facelift, or an older generation over a newer. Take yourself for example, you like the E30 M3. there has been 3 generations of M3's since, and you chose to point out the E30 M3 over the newest E9X.
Yup! Totally agree with you. I just bought my GX470 about a month ago now. (damn time flies!) It's the first time I have bought a previous model when the new one was out. The GX460 is growing on me, but I'm not there yet.

My wife and I are going to be in the "car" market in a year or so looking for a third "play toy". We are leaning very heavily toward a CLS63 AMG. Dis one...

Old 01-17-11, 04:47 AM
rickyb80
Pole Position

It's kind of an odd comparison to put an X5 against a GX since both SUV's are designed for different purposes. The X5 is more of a tall car with almost zero off road capability. The GX470 was designed to be a luxo-off-roader that still behaved well on pavement. If you're driving 100% on asphalt surfaces, buy the X5. If you plan on going offroad at all, GX hands down.