GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
Old 12-15-14, 04:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
  • Warning Lights
    Important information to help you understand your Lexus

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

GX 470 Warning Lights VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Anti Skid, Check Engine

Old 12-02-14, 04:05 AM
GX47009
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had same problem for those indicating lights on. Just change gas cap, $15 from Auto parts and it will be fine. If you really need the warning lights off, disconnect the battery and re-connect and all those warning lights will go off. Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-15, 03:37 PM
Salvator
Driver

Default Another vote for bad gas cap...

P0456 code pulled up,using the loaner ODBII reader from advanced auto parts... Replaced gas cap with new unit from Toyota dealer (part # 77300-33070 Cap Assy, Fuel Tank), reset code using the scanner... All warning lights gone!
Old 02-19-15, 09:50 AM
germangs
Rookie

Default Replacing alternator two days ago and VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Anti Skid, Check Engine came

Hi,

I just logged in to the forum to find out about Warning Lights VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Anti Skid, Check Engine that displayed on my 2006 GX dash.
On Monday I experienced the alternator failure while driving on local road. The car died and was towed to the mechanic.
The alternator died and it was replaced. I picked up my car from the shop yestarday and drove home. Everything was fine. Today in the morning I turned it on and got the Warning Lights VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Anti Skid, Check Engine displayed. The car rides fine, no issues and no noises. It's just the warning lights that bother me now. What could have happened and what should I do?
Please advise.

Thanks
Old 02-19-15, 01:03 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

undo battery for 20 minutes and then start truck up and see if codes are still there. You will have to reset each window and moonroof
Old 02-20-15, 07:43 AM
germangs
Rookie

Thanks Burny. I disconnected the battery for 20 minutes. It did clear the warning lights but after driving for some time after I got the same warning lights again within a hour or so.
I guess I need to run the computer diagnostic to detect what codes are and maybe resetting them through the diagnostic tool. Also when the warning lights are displayed it feels that my Lexi is kind of sluggish running, hesitant to drive sort of.

Regards,
germangs
Old 02-27-15, 08:24 PM
germangs
Rookie

Scanned the codes today. Got two records P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (BAnk1) and P0430 the same message for Bank2.
I reseted the codes but the light came back after 20 minutes driving.
I guess I will try to replace the fuel gas cap part 77300-33070 tomorrow.
If anyone had the same records what did you do to remove and fix the issue?

Thanks
Old 02-28-15, 05:44 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Start with gas cap and let's go from there.
Old 03-01-15, 11:02 PM
BGgx470
Driver School Candidate

Default Vsc off,vsc trac, cel

The three lights( VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, and the CEL) have been on in the wife's 03 gx470 and also idles rough and I have taken it to two different mechanics. The first one said that it was getting a reading that it was #3 and #6 spark plug and that it coud also be the coil pads. I went with the spark plugs first since they were the cheapest which didn't solve the problem. Next , I tried the coil pads which did not solve the problem. I took the car to another mechanic who said that it was the O2 sensor. Since I am overseas, I ordered all four and had them installed which still has not solved the problem. Since changing the O2 sensors did not solve anything, the new mechanic now thinks that it is the fuel injectors.I have been using fuel injector cleaning treatments for the last month and nothing has changed. I will try the feul cap since it seems to be working for everyone else. If anyone has any helpful advice, I would sure appreciat it.
Old 03-02-15, 06:15 AM
odedoren
Driver School Candidate

Default Cheap fix, stay away from dealers on this one

I have owned my Lexus GX 470 for about 6 months. I notice the lights come on for two reasons. One is the Cold, the other is if the vehicle in High 4wd has the disengage wheels button, that relates to the 4wd.
In either case, after 120 miles the lights go off. The first one had to do with the gas cap.
I use to worry when these lights appear, now I just reset the gas cap, or refill the tank, wait 120 miles and then gone.
The cold weather one has to do with air getting in the tank after the metals shrink in the cold.
Old 03-02-15, 09:49 AM
germangs
Rookie

Hi,

The magic with replacing the gas cap did not work. I bought one from Ira Lexus for $17.99.
I followed the steps and disconnected the battery. With the new gas cap in place I drove this weekend and Monday. Driving back home from work this night and warning light came back on the dash.
The old gas cup comparing to the new one was really worn I think. The new one sits tight and I need some strength to turn it open. The old one could be opened by pushing one finger against it.
Anyone can suggest what you did to resolve it please?

Last edited by germangs; 03-02-15 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-04-15, 09:19 AM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe this is your problem?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...tion-pump.html
Old 03-04-15, 01:52 PM
sadkomodo
Driver School Candidate

The lights came on my new to me 07 GX. They came on after a cold night. I thought I bought a POS. After reading this tread, I bought a new gas cap(Toyota dealership), disconnected the battery and reconnected after about 30 minutes. FIXED IT. The old cap was the original one with a flattened o-ring. Saved myself a lot of headaches. Love my truck again.
Old 03-09-15, 11:06 AM
germangs
Rookie

Originally Posted by jditom
I don't think it is but who knows. It could be. I just trying to scratch my head and get an idea what keep triggering these codes? It started when I had my Lexi stall while driving. I had the battery indicator on and then I noticed that it began losing power within 10 minutes. It was very cold night. I had alternator replaced on the next day. And then where the lights came up. The vehicle rides fine, no hesitation whatsoever with the warning lights on.
Old 06-02-15, 06:58 PM
dltramm
Driver School Candidate

Wink I'm having the same issues

Originally Posted by jbrazil
2005 GX 470 warning lights VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Anti Skid, and Check Engine lights came on and the codes P0 172 and P0 175 came up which indicated 2 oxygen sensors needing to be replaced and that was done. Drove vehicle about 100 miles or so and all above lights came on again but then went off after driving and starting car 5-6 times- car drives fine, perfect. Took back to service center to check if codes pulled up and the same 2 codes, P0 172 and P0 175....service guy did some more serious looking around and detected a bad mass air flow sensor and replaced it (no cost for labor) and he drove vehicle alot felt all was well and of course my wife drove 100 or so miles, lights on again.... any feedback from any owners with these warning lights issues and repairs would be great!!!
Thanks-
I have a 2009 GX470 - got in yesterday morning to go to work and had 3 warning lights on:
VSC TRAC VSC OFF and CEL
Stopped by O'Reilly's and had them do a scan - the code came up Emissions - they cleared the code, we unscrewed the gas cap and replaced it. I thought everything was good, and today when I got ready to leave work the same 3 codes are on the dash. Thoughts?
Old 06-03-15, 06:58 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Did you replace the cap with an OEM Toyota one?

Chip H.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GX 470 Warning Lights VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Anti Skid, Check Engine