GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
Old 12-15-14, 04:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
  • Warning Lights
    Important information to help you understand your Lexus

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

GX 470 Warning Lights VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Anti Skid, Check Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-15, 06:45 AM
mlachica
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sadkomodo
The lights came on my new to me 07 GX. They came on after a cold night. I thought I bought a POS. After reading this tread, I bought a new gas cap(Toyota dealership), disconnected the battery and reconnected after about 30 minutes. FIXED IT. The old cap was the original one with a flattened o-ring. Saved myself a lot of headaches. Love my truck again.
You have a part number?
Old 06-08-15, 10:17 AM
dltramm
Driver School Candidate

Replaced the gas cap with one from O'Reilly's Auto Parts - cost $12.00 - working great!!
Old 06-08-15, 06:24 PM
sadkomodo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mlachica
You have a part number?

I found the receipt.
Old 06-29-15, 04:56 PM
mlachica
Driver School Candidate

Perfect, thank you!
Old 10-30-15, 08:12 PM
chiggy
Driver School Candidate

Default LX 470 warning light fix - I think

Hi
This is my first post on this site and I thought I'd share an interesting thing that happened to my LX 470.
Firstly it's a 2002 Australian model, I bought it yesterday from a dealer (actually I swapped it for my 03 RR).
It is a very straight car with 330000 kms on the clock, It started first time but to my horror the check engine light was on so was VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, rear lights out and the airbag.
It idled roughly but when I took it for a test drive it drove very well, It steered straight the brakes worked and there didn't seem to be any smoke blowing out the back.
So after reading multiple forums on a possible fix I couldn't see a way out of a visit to my mechanic so I disconnected the battery at the positive terminal for 5 minutes and reconnected it and bugger me all the lights had gone out except the airbag one and it was idling smoothly.
I drove it down the road for a few kilometres and everything was good.
Now this may only be a short term fix but at the moment I'm quite pleased with that outcome.
Old 10-30-15, 08:21 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Yes, the cars these days are half engine, half computer. And the computer needs a reboot every now and again.

Can't help you with the airbag light, but I suggest you look under the front seats for a pinched cable - the side airbags are in the seat and the wires have to move when you adjust it. Plus sometimes people try and store things under there and that can pull out a connector.

Chip H.
Old 02-04-16, 08:50 AM
jkmchicago
Driver School Candidate

Default Replacing my Gas Cap Worked

The lights mentioned in this thread have been going on and off of my 2007 GX470 for several years. We took the truck into the dealer a couple of years ago and they said our catalytic converter needed to be replaced (or something like that) estimated $3k-$4k. My husband did not agree because of the inconsistent on/off of the lights, so we did nothing. Based on reading all the responses on this thread, I noticed my gas cap was very easy to remove, so just replaced the gas cap last week. All the lights went off. We drove over 400 miles this past week-end - cold and raining - (usually the lights goes on or off in rain) and the lights are still off. Pretty positive this has fixed the problem. I want to thank everyone for posting on this site - really saves people stress and money. Lexus should relay this information to their customers.
Old 02-06-16, 11:55 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Got all the lights coming on about two weeks ago. Stealer showed 3 codes and recommended starting with the gas cap. Sorry, I don't know which three codes.

1. Replaced the gas cap; no dice.

2. Ran the gas tank to low and refilled with what I hoped was better fuel from a reputable, busy gas station; no dice.

3. Disconnected the battery for 20min; no dice (plus I had to reset windows, roof, seats, etc).

4. Returned to stealer and only fault showing was P0031; replaced air fuel sensor for $500 and I'm "good to go."
* P/N 89467-71020 Sensor, Air Fuel Rat
* Shows ~$170 online + shipping whereas I was charged $270 + labor
* It's a trade-off I'm willing to make for the convenience of their shop, loaner, etc and the other goodwill they've shown me

Thanks for sharing info on this thread and in others. Hope someone finds this helpful. Rock on!
Old 02-06-16, 11:56 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What I don't understand is why I (we?) lost stability control and/or traction control for an error code on the motor? ABS still functioned. What's the logic behind this?
Old 02-07-16, 11:12 AM
cptjack1
Driver School Candidate

this is some awesome information, except my code is p1442. it comes on about every 900 miles or so. I have been told to bypass the air pump, replace it, the air valve etc. this didn't happen until after the timing belt was replaced, but have been told that this wouldn't cause this code. has anyone else had this code? I recently read some threads that gave me some ideas but seem to have lost them. any help would be appreciated. my vehicle is a 2007 gx470 with 125k on it . thanks for your help in advance. cptjack1
Old 09-11-16, 10:25 AM
GRAYM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK....been having this issue took it to the shop and they replaced an oxygen sensor....I also replace the gas cap for good measure....no dice, lights still on and rebooted/disconnected battery etc....lights stay off for a bit then come back on...,.2003 original owner with 260K miles. thoughts?? thinking I can just run as it because I detect no engine performance issue whatsoever!!!

HELP!!!!
Old 09-11-16, 05:24 PM
tz693
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAYM
OK....been having this issue took it to the shop and they replaced an oxygen sensor....I also replace the gas cap for good measure....no dice, lights still on and rebooted/disconnected battery etc....lights stay off for a bit then come back on...,.2003 original owner with 260K miles. thoughts?? thinking I can just run as it because I detect no engine performance issue whatsoever!!!

HELP!!!!
What error code do you have?
Old 09-12-16, 03:36 AM
GRAYM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't have a code just had it in for inspection last week and they "took care of it" by replacing an oxygen sensor apparently that was not it!!
Old 09-12-16, 04:51 AM
cptjack1
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem when it got cold. I finally bought a bypass kit from Hewitt Technologies. Eventually I will buy a new pump and valves to permanently correct the problem. I still can't understand why Lexus did not send out a tech tip bulletin and warranty this issue. After all it is a Lexus, and we owners expect years of trouble free driving.
Old 10-28-16, 10:27 AM
ssiskremax
Driver School Candidate

Default This Conversation Rocks!

Thank you to whomever started this thread but more importantly to those who gave their input!!!!! Dashboard lit up like a Xmas tree on my 2006 Lexus. Freaked out (have driven this model since 2002). Called my mechanic. His response "Oh no, that's not good". Crap I thought. I love Google so I sat myself down and started looking and found all you wonderful people!!!! Took to AutoZone. Ran the diagnostics. 1 of the 9 showed definitely gas cap. He opened my cap and lo and behold the suiit was all over the door and seal gone on the cap! He hooked me up with a new cap ($19). One thing I would like to add!!!! He told me NOT to fool with the battery. He said after I drove about 50-60 miles the lights would go off on their own. If you make them disappear you'll not know if that was I fact the problem. I drove about 30 miles and off they went!!! Thanks again for sharing!!!!!! A plug for this vehicle is I've bought two brand new and have had NO complaints!!! Current one just clicked 200,000 miles and don't hesitate to take her on long hauls to Disney😊.

Quick Reply: GX 470 Warning Lights VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Anti Skid, Check Engine