GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
Old 12-15-14, 04:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
  • Warning Lights
    Important information to help you understand your Lexus

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

GX 470 Warning Lights VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Anti Skid, Check Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-14, 08:54 AM
shkGX470
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New to the forum but have been lurking for about a month now. I'm the proud new owner of a 2006 Lexus GX470! I come from a line of toyota tacomas and to say that the ride is improvement would be the understatement of the year! LOVE this ride!

Just wanted to add to this thread and say I was given the same string of error lights and the gas cap was the issue. Of course at first, I freaked out considering it was on a just bought used car with a reputation of very expensive repair costs, but after some research, mostly on this site, I was relieved to find that this was the issue.

I took it into the lexus dealership and they immediately diagnosed it as the problem, but also checked all the other codes that were in the car that needed to be cleared and ensured me that this was the only outstanding issue that they could see. Cost was $40!
Old 02-25-14, 08:12 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by TighNaLoch
You can tell easily if the Gas Cap is the issue. When you turn it closed and it clicks once you know it's locked.... but if when you turn it to open it, it opens very easily to the left with no pressure the seal is baked out and not working, which is what caused my error codes.
I suspect that, with the extreme cold that has plagued much of the nation this winter, some of the instances of the check engine (and other lights) going on come as a result of the gas cap seal becoming harder and temporarily losing flexibility on extremely cold days, and I also suspect that, in many cases, warmer temperatures can return the flexibility to that seal. Thus, I think that there are likely to have been some instances where people thought that their gas caps needed replacement, but they really didn't. Extreme cold can cause lots of strange phenomena to occur temporarily with a vehicle.
Old 03-01-14, 12:29 PM
spetter01
Driver School Candidate

Default I had all of those indicators on too!

Here's what I found out was wrong from my Lexus dealership....my dealership initially thought it was O2 sensors or gas cap also

I have a 2005 Lexus GX470 with 86k miles, that was diagnosed with an air pump failure about a month ago. I was in shock to get a repair order cost of $4100. Knowing I was heading out of town, I limped my GX home and started to research the issues and what was being done to assist Lexus owners with the inherent problem.
After many hours of bouncing around from forum to forum and manufacturer bulletins, I came across a Webpage that mentioned Toyota Tundra 4.7 motor emissions warranty extensions to 10yr/150k! Turns out the 4.7ltr Tundra motor is the same motor used in the 2005 model GX's. It's a second generation motor with Intelligent VVT (VVT-i). I looked for any Lexus Bulletins for the same issue and or any warranty extensions.
As I work in the automotive industry and ran several hi-line dealerships, I started networking with my colleagues who ran Lexus dealerships and toyota dealerships to see if they could reach a regional service rep. Turns out that Toyota and Lexus do not communicate at all between eac other although they share the same technologies. It was confirmed by the Toyota rep that they did extend the emissions warranty for 2007 Tundra 4.7 owners to the 10yr/150k. The Lexus rep knew nothing about emissions issues or extended warranties on emissions. I have come to the conclusion that Toyota had to cover this expensive claim under a warranty because they sell a lot more Toyota's than they do the Lexus GX....and quite frankly Lexus owners should be able to afford it!!

After I gathered the pile of information I contacted Lexus North America in California. Upon several minutes of conversation with a customer service agent, My concerns were sent to the chief service manager. I referenced my research and questioned why Lexus has failed to cover (by warranty) due to the inherent problems with the motors emissions as they correlated with the 4.7 VVT-i. I was informed at the end of the conversation that he would look into it and pass it up for review.

3 days later, I received a call from the initial customer service rep, who made my day!!! She said they had already contacted my Lexus service manager and that they would cover the parts. Not to mention, the original labor quote was about $1200, and had been reduced to $671.00! I am greatly appreciative and then understood why I bought a Lexus! They stand behind their product! I just wish I didn't have to do all the necessary research and that Lexus would communicate more with Toyota in order to stay on top of repetitive issues between shared technologies.
Old 04-15-14, 09:52 AM
RoseLex
Driver School Candidate

Default Vsc trac, vsc off, check engine

I just got all these errors when i started the '04 this morning. Hopefully it's just the gas cap as most of you found out. I'll report an update when I fix it.
Old 04-16-14, 01:10 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

@ Spetter01 Your research at the end has rewarded well. Great news. I am sure other members would take this a stepping stone with other major expensive issues.
Old 04-16-14, 02:42 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine lights came on about 2 weeks ago and finally had a chance to get a diagnostic done. Same code as some of you P0051 I think Bank 2 Sensor 1. I will try the gas cap first but for any reason this won't work... does anyone know the part number for the sensor. Thanks in advance
Old 04-21-14, 08:01 AM
RoseLex
Driver School Candidate

Report...looks like the new gas cap fixed the warning lights. Glad it wasn't a sensor although I had to disconnect the battery to clear the codes.
Old 09-25-14, 06:12 AM
YogiB
Driver School Candidate

My lights came on also but my Lexus GX 470 would not kick in gear. The engine would just Rev up but it wouldn't go into gear. My mechanic said it was the front end differential. It's very expensive but I'm willing to try anything else if someone has any suggestions. Please help! !!! Thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-14, 07:17 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by YogiB
My lights came on also but my Lexus GX 470 would not kick in gear. The engine would just Rev up but it wouldn't go into gear. My mechanic said it was the front end differential. It's very expensive but I'm willing to try anything else if someone has any suggestions. Please help! !!! Thanks in advance.
IS Your 4 wheel drive shifter set to N ?
Old 10-31-14, 09:47 AM
StVeronus
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to the community, found a bad gas cap. Off to have the codes scanned and cleared by service center just to verify.
Old 11-14-14, 08:13 AM
dkevinm
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Thanks

Appreciate all the posts in this thread. Had the same light syndrome - checked the gas cap - unscrewed too easy - replaced it ($47 from the dealer), disconnected the battery for 30 min. Problem solved!

2007 GX470

Last edited by dkevinm; 11-14-14 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Include car details
Old 11-14-14, 09:13 AM
StVeronus
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to update. Mine was the gas cap and was the only code found. Supported the board vendors (myLparts) and was half the cost of the local dealer. So remember to check them if you could live with the few days of shipping time.
Old 11-19-14, 10:35 AM
UGAdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Issue Resolved

After doing some trouble shooting I found the ECU-b fuse under the hood was blown. I replaced it and all was fixed until I put the SUV in reverse. Come to find out there is a known issue with the driver door mirror actuator. When the SUV is placed in reverse, the mirror tilts down. The actuator shorts out very often (so much Lexus issued a TSB on it). When the mirror tilts down it shorts out and blows the fuse.

For a temp fix, place your mirror switch in the center and don't adjust the driver mirror. If the switch is in center, the mirror will not move when you go into reverse.

For a permanent fix, call Lexus and see if you are under warranty. If you are not ask them to cover half of the charge to repair. We were out of warranty and they paid for half of repair so we had to pay $100 out of pocket. All is good to go now!

Also, if your windows stopped working from the driver door, do this:

Roll each window down halfway from the door itself. Then press and hold up to roll them up and then hold up for at least two seconds after they are fully up. Do this for each window and it will fix that issue as well.
Old 11-22-14, 11:06 AM
GRAYM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank God for this forum....had this problem today in my 03 GX and checked the gas cap, also disconnected battery to reset and we are good to go.....you save me a bundle over the years!!
Old 11-25-14, 01:30 PM
odedoren
Driver School Candidate

Wink

GX 470 2005 all lights come on the right bottom of tge cobtrol panel... skid control check engine light, vsc. Read some of the comments below, great advice. tightened the gas cap, unhooked the negative terminal on the battery for about 30 minutes attached and like new... for now. I still will change out the gas cap, probably still has the original one. Will pay if anything changes.

Quick Reply: GX 470 Warning Lights VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Anti Skid, Check Engine