Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

GX 470 Warning Lights VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Anti Skid, Check Engine

Old 02-24-14, 08:54 AM   #31
shkGX470
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

New to the forum but have been lurking for about a month now. I'm the proud new owner of a 2006 Lexus GX470! I come from a line of toyota tacomas and to say that the ride is improvement would be the understatement of the year! LOVE this ride!

Just wanted to add to this thread and say I was given the same string of error lights and the gas cap was the issue. Of course at first, I freaked out considering it was on a just bought used car with a reputation of very expensive repair costs, but after some research, mostly on this site, I was relieved to find that this was the issue.

I took it into the lexus dealership and they immediately diagnosed it as the problem, but also checked all the other codes that were in the car that needed to be cleared and ensured me that this was the only outstanding issue that they could see. Cost was $40!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
shkGX470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-14, 08:12 AM   #32
lesz
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TighNaLoch View Post
You can tell easily if the Gas Cap is the issue. When you turn it closed and it clicks once you know it's locked.... but if when you turn it to open it, it opens very easily to the left with no pressure the seal is baked out and not working, which is what caused my error codes.
I suspect that, with the extreme cold that has plagued much of the nation this winter, some of the instances of the check engine (and other lights) going on come as a result of the gas cap seal becoming harder and temporarily losing flexibility on extremely cold days, and I also suspect that, in many cases, warmer temperatures can return the flexibility to that seal. Thus, I think that there are likely to have been some instances where people thought that their gas caps needed replacement, but they really didn't. Extreme cold can cause lots of strange phenomena to occur temporarily with a vehicle.
lesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 12:29 PM   #33
spetter01
Driver School Candidate

Default I had all of those indicators on too!

Here's what I found out was wrong from my Lexus dealership....my dealership initially thought it was O2 sensors or gas cap also

I have a 2005 Lexus GX470 with 86k miles, that was diagnosed with an air pump failure about a month ago. I was in shock to get a repair order cost of $4100. Knowing I was heading out of town, I limped my GX home and started to research the issues and what was being done to assist Lexus owners with the inherent problem.
After many hours of bouncing around from forum to forum and manufacturer bulletins, I came across a Webpage that mentioned Toyota Tundra 4.7 motor emissions warranty extensions to 10yr/150k! Turns out the 4.7ltr Tundra motor is the same motor used in the 2005 model GX's. It's a second generation motor with Intelligent VVT (VVT-i). I looked for any Lexus Bulletins for the same issue and or any warranty extensions.
As I work in the automotive industry and ran several hi-line dealerships, I started networking with my colleagues who ran Lexus dealerships and toyota dealerships to see if they could reach a regional service rep. Turns out that Toyota and Lexus do not communicate at all between eac other although they share the same technologies. It was confirmed by the Toyota rep that they did extend the emissions warranty for 2007 Tundra 4.7 owners to the 10yr/150k. The Lexus rep knew nothing about emissions issues or extended warranties on emissions. I have come to the conclusion that Toyota had to cover this expensive claim under a warranty because they sell a lot more Toyota's than they do the Lexus GX....and quite frankly Lexus owners should be able to afford it!!

After I gathered the pile of information I contacted Lexus North America in California. Upon several minutes of conversation with a customer service agent, My concerns were sent to the chief service manager. I referenced my research and questioned why Lexus has failed to cover (by warranty) due to the inherent problems with the motors emissions as they correlated with the 4.7 VVT-i. I was informed at the end of the conversation that he would look into it and pass it up for review.

3 days later, I received a call from the initial customer service rep, who made my day!!! She said they had already contacted my Lexus service manager and that they would cover the parts. Not to mention, the original labor quote was about $1200, and had been reduced to $671.00! I am greatly appreciative and then understood why I bought a Lexus! They stand behind their product! I just wish I didn't have to do all the necessary research and that Lexus would communicate more with Toyota in order to stay on top of repetitive issues between shared technologies.
spetter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 09:52 AM   #34
RoseLex
Driver School Candidate

Default Vsc trac, vsc off, check engine

I just got all these errors when i started the '04 this morning. Hopefully it's just the gas cap as most of you found out. I'll report an update when I fix it.
RoseLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 01:10 AM   #35
mann777

@ Spetter01 Your research at the end has rewarded well. Great news. I am sure other members would take this a stepping stone with other major expensive issues.
Motivation determines what you do...
Attitude determines how well you do it.
mann777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 02:42 AM   #36
angelslex
Lexus Test Driver

Mine lights came on about 2 weeks ago and finally had a chance to get a diagnostic done. Same code as some of you P0051 I think Bank 2 Sensor 1. I will try the gas cap first but for any reason this won't work... does anyone know the part number for the sensor. Thanks in advance
angelslex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 08:01 AM   #37
RoseLex
Driver School Candidate

Report...looks like the new gas cap fixed the warning lights. Glad it wasn't a sensor although I had to disconnect the battery to clear the codes.
RoseLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 08:01 AM

Tags
check, code, engine, gx470, hot, idling, lexus, light, lights, off, parts, running, trac, vsc, warning