GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

4wd questions from recent snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-10, 02:39 PM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our snow was a "wet" snow so there was a layer of ice underneath that didn't help matters. However my Jeep didn't slip or miss a beat when going through the exact same route (ditches and open fields). When I had the GX locked and VSC off the slip indicator kept coming on which resulted in the computer trying to brake for the tires slipping. This is where I expected the computer to not assist (I was in low range, locked with VSC off) but it didn't so I assumed it was normal.
Old 12-29-10, 04:17 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

I live in NJ, and the night of the blizzard I needed to get home from seeing relative at and ICU/hospital. Roads were unplowed, white out conditions,wipers freezing, but......the truck did just what it was supposed to do. You never use the low setting on the transfer case unless you are doing some major rock climbing. that is strictly for off road, however i will sometimes use the diff loc to direct power to all four wheels permently rather than let the computer decide which tire has traction, there can be a lag. In 24" of snow, that can be the best way to go. I should add that I have Vredestein wintertrac extreme tires on the truck( i keep them on year round).
There is no substitue for winter snow tires regardless of what you drive. The truck perfomed perfectly in the blizzard.
Old 12-30-10, 05:01 AM
subie2GX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last night, i had a problem with driving up to the driveway from the street at my in-laws house in Queens; there were some what of icy-wet-snow (4"-5" thick) on the driveway with a dip between driveway and main road. As I was backing up, the truck would not go over the snow, while i had my previous set up and 2nd start.
Old 01-03-11, 10:56 AM
FlzRider
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by easgx470
I did manually turn off the VSC and even with the differential locked (which also turned it off) it still was "brake happy".
What is the method for "manually" turning VSC off? The only method I know of is to lock the center differential.
Old 01-05-11, 12:05 AM
charlie@jd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FlzRider
What is the method for "manually" turning VSC off? The only method I know of is to lock the center differential.
yeah.. same question.

i was driving around mammoth last week with lock diff and vsc off. awesome!!! never had a problem... i went to the back roads and played. i got stuck, high sided the center. i ramped a snow bank that my tires barely touched the ground. so i was stuck there for a good 10 minutes. i made it out, with the help of height control and low. boom! done! it's an awesome truck!
Old 01-05-11, 10:12 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha I was Mammoth too, and I got stuck too near Dj snowbile.
Old 01-05-11, 01:13 PM
charlie@jd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexus 4 ME
Haha I was Mammoth too, and I got stuck too near Dj snowbile.
dude, i was at the outlet on that one stormy day last week. there was like 5 gx there. most of them had chains on. i think they got in late and the chp mandate them chains. i was there early, so i enjoyed chainless check point lol. i always have fun with the gx in mammoth! sick!
Old 01-05-11, 02:59 PM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

CHP in Mammoth are the worst, specially in Bishop. GX is the best SUV for snow. We stayed Davidson street, this street has elevation. My friend Range Rover got stuck I had no problem at all.
Old 01-05-11, 07:36 PM
rbx10
Driver

I was driving on an 4 inch pile of snow/ice and got stuck a little bit. So I engage the 4wheel drive and lock the differential for the first time since I own the truck (Still trying to get the technique down pat though) and the truck just took off like a plane. Some other drivers on the side line were looking at my baby in action....
First time driving it in the snow (blizzard Dec 26-10 Jersey.)
Old 01-05-11, 08:33 PM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I meant to say I turned the RSCA off manually and then locked the diff to turn off VSC. Thanks for pointing it out. Sorry about the confusion everyone.
Old 01-06-11, 03:33 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I meant to say I turned the RSCA off manually and then locked the diff to turn off VSC. Thanks for pointing it out. Sorry about the confusion everyone.
Huh? RSCA is Roll-Sensing Curtain Airbags turn-off switch when off-roading and crawling over large rocks/inclines?
Old 01-06-11, 02:30 PM
Gx470Rx300
Driver School Candidate

i live in Washington and a few years back when the roads were not plowed and there was around 2 to 3 ft of snow, it never got stuck once. i wish there was a way to take the VSC off without locking the center differential, gets very annoying. never had to go into the low gear.
Old 01-06-11, 04:32 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

So far so good but they have only been on a day so far. My wife has been driving it but I will post my opinion after driving it some more. I know they were wonderful on our Sequoia and Grand Cherokee and I expect no different on the GX. I am never one to say "the most expensive is best" but you do get what you pay for with the LTX. The MS/2 is almost identical to the older LTX. I had both versions on the Sequoia and there were no differences in performance, only aesthetics (lettering is different). The cross terrains are a great tire as well but I prefer the tread pattern on the LTX MS/2 (just an opinion of course ) I will post a review after I have some seat time in various conditions. They performed very well on and offroad before so I am expecting the same. I guess if you total the miles over our previous 4 sets we got about 240k miles with no issues at all (no leaks, cuts, blow outs, no vibrations or alignment issues, always stayed balanced etc.) Really couldn't ask for anything better but maybe we have been lucky the past 4 times....who knows. I have always been extremely pleased with Michelin truck tires but not as much so with car tires.

I know you can't really go wrong with LTX's or Cross Terrains for a great all around tire.
Worth the extra $150 to me without a doubt. Especially as I get a lot of miles on them.
I agreeon the Michelins being the best. I have noticed the new LTX M/S2 seem to resemble the Cross terrains than the older LTX's especially the shoulder areas. I had Duelers H/T before and they were horrible and wore out in 15k miles(UTQC rating of 180) compared to over 600 for the Michelin's.
Old 01-06-11, 07:14 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That has nothing to do with traction or turning anything off other than your side curtain airbags for when you off road and get a sever angles
Old 01-06-11, 07:15 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocks
Huh? RSCA is Roll-Sensing Curtain Airbags turn-off switch when off-roading and crawling over large rocks/inclines?
^^^^What he said^^^^^

Quick Reply: 4wd questions from recent snow