GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Transmission Fluid Temp. - Check mode

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-10, 08:59 AM
FlzRider
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Temp. - Check mode

I have a '07 Lexus GX470 that I am changing the auto transmission fluid on. I am now on the step where I have to check the transmission temp. (between 115F and 130F) before removing the overflow bolt. I am using the following document for instructions (attached below).

I tried getting the car into "fluid temperature check mode" by switching the gear lever from N to D every 1.5 seconds but it is not working.

My questions are:

-I am following the instructions as close as I can. Am I missing something in how to get the car into temp. check mode?
-I am holding the brakes while I do this, should I not (car is jacked up)?
-Should I install the OBD jumper wires prior to or after I start the car?

-Will a tool like a ScanGauge2 work for giving me the trans. fluid temp.?

-Is the transmission fluid temp. THAT critical to correctly set the fluid level? The ambient temp. is about 75F here in South Florida, so it's not like I am doing this in frigid temps.
-Approximately how many minutes of engine idling will get the tranny fluid up to about 115F-130F?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thankyou!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
GX470.pdf (40.2 KB, 1247 views)
Old 12-14-10, 11:08 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

OK I was way wrong..lol

I wouldnt attempt this myself either

Last edited by Booyah; 12-14-10 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-14-10, 02:48 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

It is very important to do this properly. If you do not, your fluid level will not be correct. If the trans gets too hot during the proceedure it will push too much fluid out causing it to be low. I would of not recommended doing this on your own and definitely not without a scan tool. I'll pm you a way to contact me so we can go over your options from where you are now. Also, I hope you bought the Toyota World Standard fluid. I don't get in his section much, do a lot of guys do this on their own?
Old 12-14-10, 03:05 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Also, the temp specified is not operating temp. We had a lot of shifting issues on the ES because it wasn't done properly at the factory on a few cars or after a trans replacement. You don't want to guess when doing this.
The following users liked this post:
hhy370626 (08-11-22)
Old 12-14-10, 04:17 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by onepointon
It is very important to do this properly. If you do not, your fluid level will not be correct. If the trans gets too hot during the proceedure it will push too much fluid out causing it to be low. I would of not recommended doing this on your own and definitely not without a scan tool. I'll pm you a way to contact me so we can go over your options from where you are now. Also, I hope you bought the Toyota World Standard fluid. I don't get in his section much, do a lot of guys do this on their own?
+1
Old 12-15-10, 09:10 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

I have done it many times and has been the easiest thing, Ok here goes, As said in the manual, even if you overfill, dont worry, there is la breather pipe on above the transmission, which lets out the excess, if any has been, Now coming to know the exact qty filled, This is what I have done, and till date no problems at all. You dont need a scan tool , just buy this part number below mentioned from the dealer cost 10/- bucks, which is alternative to scan tool
Buy the tool which is the p/n mentioned in the file which you have attached SST (09843−18040)., now this to me a just a peice of wire ( 2 lengths) which you need to connect at the terminals.
Now while doing this process have somebody on the driver seat, and just follow the Reference (5) point from (1) to (4) Once you get the blink lights on the A/T oil Temp indicator on the cluster which is exactly located on the extreme left of the cluster top end.
You will see the First Blinks coming up and that is the time you need to add bit more and tighten the Filler Plug, and Idle for 3-7 minutes while the
D indicator is up, the temprature would blink once more, Thats it stop at that, Clean up the area around the AT trans, And you are good to go,
thats it,
Most Important : it is the blinks which you hve to notice carefully If you vision is 6/6. you will acheive this, it will a peice of cake.
Old 12-15-10, 11:35 AM
FlzRider
Rookie

mann777, I'm not sure I follow you completely. So is it the "A/T OIL TEMP" light that will turn on when the fluid reaches the correct temperature or is it the "D shift indicator" like the document states?

I actually spent a few hours last night doing some more research and found this video of a Tacoma going into temp. check mode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpGIB...layer_embedded

mann777, can you confirm if the above video is the same procedure as the GX470?

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 12-15-10, 02:19 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by FlzRider
mann777, I'm not sure I follow you completely. So is it the "A/T OIL TEMP" light that will turn on when the fluid reaches the correct temperature or is it the "D shift indicator" like the document states?

mann777, can you confirm if the above video is the same procedure as the GX470?

Thanks for all the help guys!
With all due respect to everyone else you should REALLY PM onepointon he is a Lexus Master Tech.
Old 12-15-10, 07:10 PM
mann777

Flz....I am putting down the exact points of the file -
(b) Without hand−held tester (Using A/T OIL TEMP indicator)
(1) Connect terminals between CG (4) and TC (13) of
the DLC3 using SST (09843−18040).
(2) Move the shift lever back and forth between N and
D every 1.5 seconds for six seconds.
(3) The D shift indicator on the combination meter
comes on for two seconds. This indicates that the
fluid temperature check mode has been started.
(4) The D shift indicator will come on again when the
fluid temperature reaches 46C (115F) and will
blink when it exceeds 56C (130F).
(5) Allow the engine to idle until the fluid temperature
reaches 46C (115F).

Now coming to your Question
The D indicator is indicate that the Temp Check has begun.

The A/T oil Temp Check will indicate the Required Ambient Oil Temp.
The above 5th point will be where you need to look at the cluster A/T Oil Temp will blink for the Second Time idling for around 10 mts, And the A/T oil Temp Light indication will remain static, this means that the Car has acheived the required temp. Here you need to Switch off the SUV and wait till it cools down ( around 25 minuted ) Thats it.

Ensure you replace the Over Flow Filler bolt with a new gasket.
Hope this helps. Dont get worried, Once done you will have the .
cheers
Old 12-15-10, 07:27 PM
FlzRider
Rookie

GOOD NEWS!

I successfully got the car into temp. check mode and was able to set the oil level correctly. I followed the video I posted above word for word. It really is not that difficult at all, however, the service manual is completely wrong when it says that the "D shift indicator" will do anything special. It does not. The only light that you should be looking at is the "A/T OIL TEMP" light. Why there is such a huge error in the manual is beyond me, but it's not the first time I have seen misinformation in a car manual (even original ones).

I ended up having to add quite a bit of oil to get the level to where it should be. I used 5.3 liters in total (oil pan drop and filter replacement, no flush).

Thanks to everyone who took the time to help me! It is really appreciated.
Old 12-15-10, 08:10 PM
mann777

FLZ....the manual is rite for the part on "D" indicator as that is the trigger to start the Fluid Oil Temperature. The ECM once gets the signal, the indication would be to monitor on the A/T oil indication. It was just the wording which sounds confusing, that's all. Sometimes Tech Jargons in the manual would be difficult, Anyways good you achieved the result and save the $$$ from the stealer ships doing this simple job.
Old 03-07-16, 04:56 PM
TyneeGX
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FlzRider
GOOD NEWS!

I successfully got the car into temp. check mode and was able to set the oil level correctly. I followed the video I posted above word for word. It really is not that difficult at all, however, the service manual is completely wrong when it says that the "D shift indicator" will do anything special. It does not. The only light that you should be looking at is the "A/T OIL TEMP" light. Why there is such a huge error in the manual is beyond me, but it's not the first time I have seen misinformation in a car manual (even original ones).

I ended up having to add quite a bit of oil to get the level to where it should be. I used 5.3 liters in total (oil pan drop and filter replacement, no flush).

Thanks to everyone who took the time to help me! It is really appreciated.
Just to clarify for some of us "Weekend Mechanics", I hope this clears any confusion on the process, I was a little confused last night while doing it.

1. When using just the wire to jump the OBD contacts, I only paid attention to the "A/T OIL TEMP" light. After shifting from "N" to "D" and back fairly quickly (3 times down and back), the shifter had been returned to the "N" position, the "A/T OIL TEMP" light becomes illuminated for 2 seconds. Then the shifter is returned to "P", and the light shows back up for 2 more seconds, then goes out.
2. Now, you can remove the jump wire, and let the vehicle idle up to temp. Have patience, mine took at least 20 minutes, almost 25 (not just 10).
3. Once the "A/T OIL TEMP" comes back on, it will stay on. This is when you pop out the overfill plug and drain the extra fluid that was recommended by others that you should have added (you should have enough time before the fluid is hot, and the light starts blinking). Once it's to a trickle, slap on a new washer and seal it up. Then don't forget about the fill plug and drain plug, make sure all are torqued properly.

Side notes:
1. I used Rhino Ramps, and it was a tight squeeze underneath.
2. I have a KDSS model, and the exhaust pipe did not cross beneath the transmission pan, but behind it.
3. Using a small transfer pump that just pops onto the top of a quart bottle is tedious and tiring, try to find a larger volume transfer method/pump/container.
4. I made a huge mess. Just be prepared.

Good luck.
Old 04-29-19, 10:02 AM
stanleybg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone knows is there a check mode for lexus rx350 2007 year ? With terminal shorted it gets into check mode , but into ATF check mode it wont go. Any help ?
Old 04-29-19, 07:34 PM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Wrong forum, sir, this is GX470 forum.
Good luck!