GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Indicator Light Help (VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Check Eng)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-10, 06:08 PM
KTrav
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indicator Light Help (VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Check Eng)

After a close call with someone cutting the wife off (and jamming on the brakes), the following Indicator lights appear and stay. 07 GX470.

VSC OFF
VSC TRAC
Check Engine
Slip Indicator Icon

I've referred to the manual without much help other than definitions, etc. and then I found this forum.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Like to avoid bringing this into the dealership after having it two weeks.

Thanks.

Last edited by KTrav; 12-04-10 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-05-10, 08:03 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

If you are under warranty take it to the dealer. If not, try disconnecting your battery and reconnecting it. Something might have got shifted around when your wife jammed on the brakes. Make sure your battery is not loose and the connections are tight.

Last edited by cssnms; 12-05-10 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-05-10, 09:13 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

This jamming probably resulted in the brake booster pump failure and that was just trigger the fault, I agree with CS the best would be take it to the dealer, "DO NOT" ride the car. The brakes failure could trigger the hydraulic pump not to pump the fluid to do wheels to do the required braking. Use the recovery service. Once done, let us know the outcome.
Old 12-07-10, 08:14 PM
KTrav
Driver School Candidate

Under warranty, off to dealer. Thanks. I was thinking battery but better safe than sorry. Appreciate the response.
Old 11-01-11, 08:26 PM
Lexy
Rookie

Hi KTrav,

Those lights just turned on today. Exactly like yours, what was your outcome ? Thanks !

Mike from BC Canada
Old 11-01-11, 09:28 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Got the same today, post-alternator replacement that included many battery disconnect cycles. Read the DTCs with my own OBDII diagnostic tool. Codes P0420/P0430 relating to catalyst below efficiency threshold, bank 1/bank2. I erased the DTCs with the key on. Started the engine (without cycling the key off). The check engine light cleared, but the three VSC-related icons remained. Key off. Restart. Display normal. I'll let you know if anything happens after a drive cycle.

Last edited by zippinbye; 11-01-11 at 09:29 PM. Reason: word
Old 11-03-11, 07:55 PM
CruiserGX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't believe what the cause is? Replace your gas cap part # 77300-33070 it's either worn out or loose.
Attached Thumbnails Indicator Light Help (VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Check Eng)-photo-7-.jpg  
Old 12-10-11, 06:02 PM
fireboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CruiserGX
You won't believe what the cause is? Replace your gas cap part # 77300-33070 it's either worn out or loose.
My Gx470 has this same fault, code reads "O2 sensor" both sensors have been replaced and the same fault shows up again. Did this fix it for good?

Thanks,
JJ
Old 12-10-11, 09:53 PM
CruiserGX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fireboy
My Gx470 has this same fault, code reads "O2 sensor" both sensors have been replaced and the same fault shows up again. Did this fix it for good?

Thanks,
JJ
Yep it did.
Old 12-16-11, 10:50 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replace the gas cap - worked with my LX too!

Originally Posted by CruiserGX
I am glad this is a common problem that seems very serious but because of the forum, it saved me a lot of time, money, and impending headache when it happened to me. If your vehicle has more than 100k miles, go ahead and replace the gas cap, it's cheap enough maintenance that we could actually do it often to ease our minds.
Old 12-17-11, 09:42 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spending $ on parts guessing the problem/solution is an expensive and very bad proposition...

If one has a CEL, it's wiser to have the codes read for free at any major parts store chain (Advanced, AutoZone,O'Reilly's, etc.) and go from there. The CEL can mean too many things from a loose gas cap, bad MAF (which usually codes as 2 bad O2 sensors), bad O2 sensors (4 of them) etc. If in doubt, get the codes and post here for help.

Good luck
Old 02-18-12, 12:24 PM
ApacheMono
Driver School Candidate

Hello fellas..
I am struck by this VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Check Eng and Swerve Car indicator on my 2003 GX470. I used to earlier also face this issue when the engine would take on the control of the accelerator and I wont be able to accelerate the vehicle and I would park the vehicle on an elevated place or do some such tricks and it would get back in order. But this time none of those things is working--and its been 6 days now since the machine is stalled . I then got the error codes checked and it came up with P2118 - Throttle Actuator. The lights on my dashboard looks like: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6799474-post7.html

I had replaced the gas cap, disconnected the battery etc prior to getting the error code checked and now the mechanic say we need to change the Throttle Actuator. My question is that is he correct in his judgement?

Thanks in advance for all your help!!
Old 02-20-12, 05:03 PM
jrbyrn
Driver School Candidate

Default rodent damage

That's the same group of lights that came on in my 09 GX. I was told the VCS and slip lights come on when the check engine light comes on. When I went to dealer, the diagnostics said bad oxygen sensor. When they took it apart the wires to the sensor were eaten with rodent droppings in the area. I think the comprehensive part of insurance will cover expense. I am now using moth ***** and bounce sheets under hood each night
Old 09-22-12, 11:21 AM
pLS430
Driver School Candidate

Default fixed by replace a new gas tank cap

based on some comments here, I went to a Lexus dealer and got a new cap for $25. + tax. After replaced the old one (8 years old), I drove for few minutes, then I parked the car and went shopping for 10 min. When I came back and started the car, all alert lights (VSC, TRAC Check Eng.) are dispeared.
hope my experience helps you a bit..... good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Indicator Light Help (VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Check Eng)-gas-tank-cap-replaced_120922.jpg  
Old 09-22-12, 12:28 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a relief! I am happy this was the problem compared to what crazy expensive possibilities those lights implied.

Quick Reply: Indicator Light Help (VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Check Eng)