GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 vs RX300 on Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-10, 01:32 AM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GX470 vs RX300 on Snow

First of all, I would like to thank the community for the worm welcome I received here. I appreciate the knowledge and help I received by now.

As some of you may know that I had purchased an 03 GX470 for my wife to replace hers RX300. It was intended as a surprise present for her for when she would return from a overseas trip. But now I realised that the new truck doesn't have one switch that her RX had. I cannot find the POWER-ECT-SNOW switch in the GX that my wife loves to use on the snow in her RX. Even my GS400 has one. The question is: how do those cars compare in handling on the snow? I surely don't mind the power, and not afraid of when the car slips and slides. I personally never used the "snow" mode on her RX. She is coming back in a couple of weeks, but now I'm worried that she might not feel comfortable driving it. I don't understand why Lexus left it out on this vehicle, or am I missing something?
Old 12-01-10, 05:49 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Globalinx
First of all, I would like to thank the community for the worm welcome I received here. I appreciate the knowledge and help I received by now.

As some of you may know that I had purchased an 03 GX470 for my wife to replace hers RX300. It was intended as a surprise present for her for when she would return from a overseas trip. But now I realised that the new truck doesn't have one switch that her RX had. I cannot find the POWER-ECT-SNOW switch in the GX that my wife loves to use on the snow in her RX. Even my GS400 has one. The question is: how do those cars compare in handling on the snow? I surely don't mind the power, and not afraid of when the car slips and slides. I personally never used the "snow" mode on her RX. She is coming back in a couple of weeks, but now I'm worried that she might not feel comfortable driving it. I don't understand why Lexus left it out on this vehicle, or am I missing something?
The GX is a true 4x4 and it is VERY capable, in other words, ect mode is not needed. Your wife can take comfort in knowing that her GX is equiped with "all-time" 4 wheel drive. Power is delivered equally to all 4 wheels of the GX providing superior traction over a rear wheel drive or all-wheel drive vehicle. If at any point the going gets tough (deep mud or sand) lock the differentials and put it in low and GO! I have driven my truck in packed/icy snow and snow up to 3' deep and it never lost its footing (okay maybe once, but it got out).

Last edited by cssnms; 12-02-10 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-01-10, 06:17 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the RX, ECT Snow puts the vehicle in 2nd gear. The GX has a similar button to allow you to start off in second gear. Nothing to worry about with the GX, it's a real 4-wheel drive vehicle and will surpass the RX in snowy conditions.
Old 12-01-10, 11:54 AM
GXHunter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't say much for the RX, but the GX is amazing in the snow. We got about 12" of snow in calgary two weeks ago, and the GX has been amazing.
Old 12-01-10, 12:29 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

GX is a freakin BEAST in all weather. Just put it in Drive and go--simple as it gets.

I find that after a heavy snowfall someetimes Ill push the Diff Lock button to lock the center diff and it does go thru the thick stuff a littel easier but remember when you do that is DIS-ables VSC system (you get a light on) so may not be as safe when driving crazy..lol---but I find its no problem really
Old 12-01-10, 04:43 PM
bbellotti
Driver School Candidate

I'm glad Globalinx asked this question. My husband and I took our "new" 2003 GX up to Lake Tahoe from the Bay Area for the first time over Thanksgiving. There has been a ton of snow. Our prior car was a Landrover with AWD, and we also keep an old Bronco in the mountains. We were used to either being in AWD, or actually PUTTING the Bronco into 4WD, so we were a bit confused with the GX.

Nice to hear confirmed that it is always in 4WD... no need to do anything more unless off-roading or in really deep conditions... correct? We had been concerned that we were driving in 2W mode and needed to shift into 4WD.

Thanks all... I echo the sentiment, that this group has been really helpful.
Old 12-02-10, 11:50 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by bbellotti
Nice to hear confirmed that it is always in 4WD... no need to do anything more unless off-roading or in really deep conditions... correct? We had been concerned that we were driving in 2W mode and needed to shift into 4WD.

Thanks all... I echo the sentiment, that this group has been really helpful.
CORRECT, unless conditions warrant it, such as Booyah said, you can choose to lock the diff by hitting the button by your shifter and if necessary put it in "low" if you need that extra traction in extreme conditions.

I will tell you that I have owned my GX for 5 yrs now, which includes annually driving in VERY soft VERY deep sand on the NC OBX as well as during our usually mild eastern snow storms and there was only one occassion that I had to shift my GX into low and lock the differential and that was last year during a historic winter for us and after one of the back-to-back blizzards we had. I was driving around in a parking lot in 4 wheel high or in otherwords "D" in 2.5 ft of snow (playing around of course) and I got stuck, so I stopped locked the diff and shifted into low plowing my way out.

Last edited by cssnms; 12-02-10 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-02-10, 11:53 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

The gx470 would stomp the rx300 in snow, but keep in mind no car is unstoppable. For the first time ever our lx470 got stuck in snow and as good as the gx470 is in snow, the lx470 is better. took 2 feet of wet heavy snow to stop it but it stopped it dead, head to get out and walk to another group of people who were stuck to help push me out. Western new york is getting pounded right now
Old 12-02-10, 11:58 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by gray_es300
The gx470 would stomp the rx300 in snow, but keep in mind no car is unstoppable. For the first time ever our lx470 got stuck in snow and as good as the gx470 is in snow, the lx470 is better. took 2 feet of wet heavy snow to stop it but it stopped it dead, head to get out and walk to another group of people who were stuck to help push me out. Western new york is getting pounded right now
Why?

Awards & Accolades

2006 Best Resale Value
GX 470 2006 Kelley Blue Book (October 2005)

Highest Ranked Premium Luxury SUV in Initial Quality (IQS)
GX 470 2005 J.D. Power and Associates (May 2005)

2004 Four Wheeler of the Year (second year in a row) GX 470 2004 Four Wheeler Magazine (February 2004)

2003 All-Stars Mid-Size Sport-Utility
GX 470 2003 Automobile Magazine (March 2003)

2003 Four Wheeler of the Year GX 470 2003 Four Wheeler Magazine (February 2003)

2003 4x4 of the Year GX 470 2003 4-Wheel & Off-Road Magazine (2003)

Last edited by cssnms; 12-02-10 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-02-10, 07:27 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Thank you all for the response. Now I know what was that button that I keep on hitting with my knee, and "Redrocks" was talking about. Now Im sure that my wife will enjoy the truck in the snow with the "Start in 2nd" button activated.
Old 12-02-10, 07:55 PM
VictorGX
Driver School Candidate

Globalinx: Like others have mentioned, I too have the utmost confidence in the GX's winter abilities. Last winter we got a huge snow storm with around 18 inches of snow. I was able to make it up an non-plowed road with relative ease. Attached is a picture to give you an idea of the snowy conditions. Your wife will be quite pleased with the GX's handling.
Attached Thumbnails GX470 vs RX300 on Snow-snow.jpg  
Old 12-10-10, 08:37 PM
rickyb80
Pole Position

The RX is a cross-over vehicle built on a car-frame and the GX is actually built on the frame of a truck. Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges. The GX will completely destroy the RX in the snow or mud. The RX would be better for long highway trips so long as it doesn't snow or rain. In other words, I'd rather be in a GX because you never know when you may need the added capability.

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Regarding the LX470 being better in the snow, why would that be? The LX and GX share the same engines and the LX weighs 800 lbs more! Not to mention that the GX comes standard with LSD and the LX does not. The LX has about an inch more clearance than the GX but that can be quickly fixed by adjusting the suspension to lift the GX. I really don't understand why the LX would be better in the snow than the GX, someone please enlighten me.
Old 12-12-10, 09:11 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The GX is a SUPERB vehicle in the snow. I took the truck down to Utah two years ago and drove it through some trails/roads that had about a foot and a half of snow that had yet to be touched.

Regardless of what kind of vehicle you have, however, you still gotta pick your path wisely and be sure to read your road well to determine a best course of action. Too many people think "I've got 4x4 and can therefore go anywhere in any kind of road condition".
Old 12-14-10, 11:34 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

I put some X-Ice tires today and WOW! This car is amazing on the snow.
Old 12-19-10, 01:47 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VictorGX
Globalinx: Like others have mentioned, I too have the utmost confidence in the GX's winter abilities. Last winter we got a huge snow storm with around 18 inches of snow. I was able to make it up an non-plowed road with relative ease. Attached is a picture to give you an idea of the snowy conditions. Your wife will be quite pleased with the GX's handling.
Wait, wait, that's not a GX in the picture!!! It's a.... 4Runner!!!!!

Quick Reply: GX470 vs RX300 on Snow