GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Suggestions wanted for Muffler replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-10, 02:50 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Suggestions wanted for Muffler replacement

I installed a tow hitch about a month ago and during the install I didn't remove the muffler just pushed it to the side to get a enough room to bolt on the tow hitch. A week later the muffler started rattling, etc.

So now its time to replace the mufflker. Was wondering if anyone replace their muffler, if so can you let me know what you did i.e. replaced with OEM, or aftermarket? If aftermarket how much did it cost? What brand, model #. Are you happy with it?

If OEM did you do it a lex dealer what did that run yah?

Not looking for performance gains or anything as its the wife's ride.

Thanks,
'Ken
Old 11-03-10, 05:27 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by kphu
I installed a tow hitch about a month ago and during the install I didn't remove the muffler just pushed it to the side to get a enough room to bolt on the tow hitch. A week later the muffler started rattling, etc.

So now its time to replace the mufflker. Was wondering if anyone replace their muffler, if so can you let me know what you did i.e. replaced with OEM, or aftermarket? If aftermarket how much did it cost? What brand, model #. Are you happy with it?

If OEM did you do it a lex dealer what did that run yah?

Not looking for performance gains or anything as its the wife's ride.

Thanks,
'Ken
Go stock. Get a price from Toyota first, It may save you some money. Where in Massachusetts are you from? I'm in Saugus
Old 11-03-10, 07:54 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
Go stock. Get a price from Toyota first, It may save you some money. Where in Massachusetts are you from? I'm in Saugus
I called up boch toyota today and they said they don't have access to the lex parts catalog so they can't help me out. i'm in Westwood MA...your handle looks familiar...I think you may have helped me out with the upgrade of the NAV dvd before.

Ken
Old 11-03-10, 07:59 PM
SmittysGX
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/
Old 11-04-10, 08:10 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

That's smitty...

I just took a gander and whoa...pretty expensive at $385.41. At least I now know what the part # is.

Old 11-04-10, 10:09 AM
SmittysGX
Driver

That's smitty...

I just took a gander and whoa...pretty expensive at $385.41. At least I now know what the part # is.

When I look it up as a Club Lexus Member the cost is $308. Thats a little better
Old 11-04-10, 10:50 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

I checked the price through the toyota price list and found it to be $304.

Right now I'm considering an aftermarket brand Walker that's suppose to be a perfect fit and priced at about $150 shipped. has limited lifetime warranty.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ek+Google+Base
Old 11-04-10, 02:04 PM
SmittysGX
Driver

I checked the price through the toyota price list and found it to be $304.

Right now I'm considering an aftermarket brand Walker that's suppose to be a perfect fit and priced at about $150 shipped. has limited lifetime warranty.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ek+Google+Base
Wow!! That seems hard to beat. Keep us posted with how it fits and sounds.
Old 11-04-10, 07:22 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

I called up boch toyota today and they said they don't have access to the lex parts catalog so they can't help me out. i'm in Westwood MA...your handle looks familiar...I think you may have helped me out with the upgrade of the NAV dvd before.

Ken
KPHU,
Try Lou's custom exhaust in Billerica, There might even be a few of them by now in different locations. They do nice work and are reasonable. I had them do a dual exhaust on an Infiniti I30t before, came out sweet. Good luck. If going Lexus, You can't beat Sewell's club member prices- even shipped.
Old 11-06-10, 08:53 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

got lucky...end up taking it to meineke and they said it was just the heat sheild that rusted out and isn't necessary to replace. If do I replace it I would have to go to either toyo or lex to replace. Meineke didn't charge me a penny so life is good.
Old 04-02-12, 12:28 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanx kphu, when the dealer inspected my exhaust system for the po, the muffler was shifted around and my rusted heat shield is rattling - but i still like to get rid of that heavy center muffler with something lite but i guess i am in the wrong car section for exhaust upgrade... hahaha
Old 04-02-12, 07:18 PM
JAH29
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had heat shield around muffler repaired today at no charge (certified). I was asked by service adviser what it sounded like. The only thing I could think of was "like a bunch of 'just married' cans rattling behind the truck as I drove". I looked everywhere underneath last weekend and could find nothing loose. I even thought I had a dragging caliper so I took a wheel off to inspect....nothing!

The bummer is that I did notice two bolts rusted out in the front engine guard/shield and asked they fix that and it was overlooked. I love my dealer and they come to me with a loaner so I can't flame too much.

I also took it in last summer for another rattling heat shield somewhere underneath mid-truck. What the hell do they make the shields out of....tin foil?

(yes, I'm in a salty road/winter area so I know that is the contributing factor)
Old 04-03-12, 07:04 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

LOL...WOW talk about bringing up an old thread!

clubsport...yeah, no advice I can give you on that unless you want to do something custom.

JAH29...No charge? Can't beat that!!! I hate trying to find rattling noise, I have an issue with my GS430, the sunroof visor inside the car rattles and I move it just slightly closed and its fine...just annoying...good luck with the search.
Old 12-25-12, 07:33 PM
ebradford
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JAH29
Had heat shield around muffler repaired today at no charge (certified). I was asked by service adviser what it sounded like. The only thing I could think of was "like a bunch of 'just married' cans rattling behind the truck as I drove". I looked everywhere underneath last weekend and could find nothing loose. I even thought I had a dragging caliper so I took a wheel off to inspect....nothing!

The bummer is that I did notice two bolts rusted out in the front engine guard/shield and asked they fix that and it was overlooked. I love my dealer and they come to me with a loaner so I can't flame too much.

I also took it in last summer for another rattling heat shield somewhere underneath mid-truck. What the hell do they make the shields out of....tin foil?

(yes, I'm in a salty road/winter area so I know that is the contributing factor)
Is this a fairly common problem, the rusted out heat shields? My '03 GX just developed a nasty rattle the other day, emanating from somewhere towards the rear, right side. Time to drop in to the muffler shop tomorrow, I guess. Your description of the sound is spot-on. A bunch of just-married cans is /exactly/ what it sounds like on mine. Thanks to all for the help with the diagnosis.
Old 12-26-12, 06:10 AM
ebradford
Pit Crew

Quick follow-on to my post last night. I stopped in to my mechanic this morning, and sure enough, it was the heat shield that had rusted through completely. Out the door for $40 including an oil change. Thanks, guys.

Quick Reply: Suggestions wanted for Muffler replacement