GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Trailer hitch install with photos!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14, 05:48 PM
SmittysGX
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jafch1
Hate to bring up an old thread, however I just ran into this and thought id comment.

Your 04 GX is Silver Pine Metallic in color.. The Tow cover you ordered is Titanium Silver, available on all 2005-2008 models.

Props on the install, that truly looks like factory to me.. I swear if we put both our GXs together no one would be able to tell!
Yes the colors are sooo close but sooo far. Thank you all for the kind words. I haven't been on hear in a while, the GX can now tow the boat and does it like a champ!!
Old 01-10-14, 10:48 AM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SmittysGX
Yes the colors are sooo close but sooo far. Thank you all for the kind words. I haven't been on hear in a while, the GX can now tow the boat and does it like a champ!!
Great looking rig, Smitty and thanks for the write-up and pics. I will be using them this spring. Just need to order the parts as soon as the Canadian dollar stops diving so low!

I like the look of your wheel/rims on the GX - pretty sharp. Are those 20s?
Old 01-12-14, 03:02 PM
SmittysGX
Driver

Originally Posted by MidniteGX
Great looking rig, Smitty and thanks for the write-up and pics. I will be using them this spring. Just need to order the parts as soon as the Canadian dollar stops diving so low!

I like the look of your wheel/rims on the GX - pretty sharp. Are those 20s?
Thank you!!! Thosw wheels were 22s I have since gone with a different set. I now have stock FJ Cruiser wheels on it, what a better ride than with those 22s
Old 01-12-14, 04:03 PM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking GX , I have the hitch never used it once
Old 01-12-14, 09:21 PM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SmittysGX
Thank you!!! Thosw wheels were 22s I have since gone with a different set. I now have stock FJ Cruiser wheels on it, what a better ride than with those 22s
Ah yes, FJ cruiser 17s? I was looking at the six spoke from 2009 models. Which ones do you have?
Old 01-14-14, 07:39 AM
SmittysGX
Driver

Ah yes, FJ cruiser 17s? I was looking at the six spoke from 2009 models. Which ones do you have?
I put these on, i like the off-set better with these wheels vs the stockers.

Old 05-10-14, 04:59 PM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

I had a look under the rear bumper of my 2004 to investigate the possibility of adding a towing receiver to the beast. It looks like there was a factory installation of a 7 pin wiring harness for plugging in a trailer. Does this mean that the so-called "tow package" had been installed?

Does anyone know if a 4runner has a similar setup for towing? If I want an OE hitch installation do I need to use only Lexus parts?
Old 05-10-14, 09:00 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Presence of the 7-pin connector is one indicator that you have the tow package. The other thing to check is that you have an auxiliary radiator in front of the regular one. This is the extra transmission cooler.

Chip H.
Old 05-20-14, 09:40 PM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by chiph9
Presence of the 7-pin connector is one indicator that you have the tow package. The other thing to check is that you have an auxiliary radiator in front of the regular one. This is the extra transmission cooler.

Chip H.
Yes, there is an aux radiator in front of the regular one. This is good news. Now, is it just the addition of the receiver?
Old 05-21-14, 06:15 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Yes, go ahead and buy the Lexus hitch package. You've got what you need to tow.

They sell a pintle hitch, which just attaches to a frame cross-rail. And a frame-mounted hitch. My understanding is you want the frame-mounted hitch if you intend to use a weight-distributing trailer.

Chip H.
Old 05-21-14, 09:03 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Pic of transcooler.: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...confusion.html
Old 05-26-14, 08:03 AM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by chiph9
Yes, go ahead and buy the Lexus hitch package. You've got what you need to tow.

They sell a pintle hitch, which just attaches to a frame cross-rail. And a frame-mounted hitch. My understanding is you want the frame-mounted hitch if you intend to use a weight-distributing trailer.

Chip H.
WD hitches are class III and above. Both designs of GX hitches are class IV which is over and above the trucks towing capacity. Why would it matter whether you use the tube or pintle hitch for weight distribution hitch with a max towing weight of 6500 lbs. when both are rated for 10,000 lbs?
Old 08-07-15, 08:42 AM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

HELP

Just had the new receiver installed at the dealer and was told I'm ready to tow. Even though this GX had the factory tow package installed I just wanted to confirm that I had all the relays before I installed my brake controller. To my dismay, I peeled back the rear left compartment and saw this: see pics.
I thought there was supposed to be a green relay there. Is this something new? I've towed before with this GX and the pintle receiver with my utility trailer. The brake lights and the turn signals worked. Any ideas? Should I call the dealer and ask them? Would they have a clue?
Attached Thumbnails Trailer hitch install with photos!!!-img_8879.jpg   Trailer hitch install with photos!!!-img_8880.jpg  
Old 08-08-15, 08:22 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

HELP

Just had the new receiver installed at the dealer and was told I'm ready to tow. Even though this GX had the factory tow package installed I just wanted to confirm that I had all the relays before I installed my brake controller. To my dismay, I peeled back the rear left compartment and saw this: see pics.
I thought there was supposed to be a green relay there. Is this something new? I've towed before with this GX and the pintle receiver with my utility trailer. The brake lights and the turn signals worked. Any ideas? Should I call the dealer and ask them? Would they have a clue?
I have a 2004 gx470 factory installed trans cooler and factory harness . No hitch but trailer ready.

I bought a curt frame mounted hitch. I went to look and see what relays I would need if any. There was no relay installed behind the rear left tail light. I checked under the hood in the relay boxs and found no relays I ordered two from sewel and thats all I needed . I was told on certain serial numbers of teh 2004 gx470 the green relay was no longer needed. I did find a wire connector behind the tail light but the green relay would not match up to the connector. After I installed the engine compartment relays everything worked . I had bought an led 7 pin connector and plugged that into the trailer harness connector that was factory installed and all tests showed it was properly wired. The brake controller connector is under the dash on the drivers side . I did not need a brake controller for a motorcycle trailer so I did not use it. The test device that plugged in said the wiring was correct when I ran the led tests. I bought the test device from e trailer on line

Last edited by mrblister; 08-08-15 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-09-15, 11:20 AM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mrblister
I have a 2004 gx470 factory installed trans cooler and factory harness . No hitch but trailer ready.

The test device that plugged in said the wiring was correct when I ran the led tests. I bought the test device from e trailer on line
Thanks, MB. I've seen the 7 pin testers for testing the trailer lights - make's them all blink when it's plugged into the trailer harness. I didn't know there was a tester for the other connector - make's too much sense.

I've since hooked up with brake controller and lights working properly. The green relay, as you say, isn't needed on this GX. Saved me a few bucks

Btw, the 25 ft Flagstaff ( 4500# dry) and Andersen hitch pulled steady and without much sway or bounce. I still have some tweaking to do as I have to lower the hitch ball an inch. The GX rode nice and there weren't any white knuckles!. Still haven't done a fully loaded pull.
The following users liked this post:
BeEvil (09-20-18)

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch install with photos!!!