GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Spray on Tire dressing etching my brake rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-10, 08:03 PM
mocheen
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray on Tire dressing etching my brake rotors?

I had to bring my car into Lexus of Serramonte, because the steering wheel and brake pedal had a little pulsation at freeway speeds. It felt as if the brakes were warped. This was the third time I had to bring the GX in for the brakes within the last 11 months. I had the rotors turned twice already and this was just done a 3rd time. This seems a little excessive to me as we only drive 12K a year on the car. The driving is typically freeway as well.

The Service Advisor at Lexus told my wife that the tire dressing that I am using is etching the brake rotors. I have never heard of this before. I apply the Black Magic Tire Wet dressing to the wheel and wipe off the excess so it does not get on the rims. When the wheels are rotating the dressing should be pulling away from the rotors. I never spray on the rims or near the rotors. The SA said they had to turn my rotors again.

I just drove the car to Los Angeles and the pedal still feels as if the brakes are warped. I looked at the brakes and the rotors on the rear have slight rust on them. The front rotors have deep grooves. I think they did not even service the brakes. I park indoors and the rust should not build up in 3 weeks when the car is driven daily.

The car is still under warranty. Does anybody know what I can do about the brake feel? I have stopped using the tire dressing for now. Funny, how it does not etch the rotors on any of my other cars though.
Old 08-16-10, 08:31 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Still under Warranty I would nicely demand a new set of front rotors AND brake pads! 3 times turning them you are getting thin and they will just warp even easier now!!
Seeing rust on the surface is not uncommon at all even just after a day of sitting--no problem because after your first break the pads will clean the rust off.

I use tire dressing on all my cars and never any problems--I see no problems using whatever you want and I have used what you have with no issues
Old 08-16-10, 09:13 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

That is BS!!!

I can in fact confrim that this product does NOT etch your rotors...

What a stupid thing to suggest. I have used countless products over the years [amateur detailer] and i really like this product. I buy only that now [Black Magic] for tire shine. I used both the liquid & foaming.
Old 08-16-10, 09:18 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rust on the rotors is not a problem. Even with light humidity, a thin layer of rust will build up overnight.

The use of tire dressing could effect the performance of the brakes but shouldn't cause the rotors to warp. The majority of the tire dressings out there are oil based which is not the best to have on the friction material of your brakes. The amount that is used on a tire shouldn't be of any harm to the brakes. Brand new rotors are sprayed with a thin layer of oil to prevent rusting. It is mandatory to remove the oil with brake cleaner prior to installation on the car; the amount of oil used is a lot more than what you would have sprayed with the dressing.
Old 08-17-10, 05:00 AM
97JZA80
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These service writers blow me away...what a bunch of bull.

Old 08-17-10, 08:51 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Tire dressing will never cause any problem, I am using Black tire Magic too, and never had any problem.
If they perform same repair more then 3 times and it has to do with safety issue, may be you can try to file "lemon".
Old 08-17-10, 11:58 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you see deep grooves in the rotors that means they were not turned (shaved). Turning rotors eliminates grooves and other surface wear, making them smooth. Turning rotors twice is a little uncommon, it's done but not recommended. Turning them 3 times is unheard of, it's simply irresponsible and puts you in danger. It makes your rotors too thin and yes, they will warp much easier (as previously stated). I think you need to go back and raise hell.
Old 08-17-10, 06:31 PM
mocheen
Rookie

Originally Posted by gsobol
If you see deep grooves in the rotors that means they were not turned (shaved). Turning rotors eliminates grooves and other surface wear, making them smooth. Turning rotors twice is a little uncommon, it's done but not recommended. Turning them 3 times is unheard of, it's simply irresponsible and puts you in danger. It makes your rotors too thin and yes, they will warp much easier (as previously stated). I think you need to go back and raise hell.
The first time the rotors were turned the brakes were making noise and the brake pedal had a pulse when braking over 35mph. I brought the car back to Lexus and they kept it for a day. They said the Technician did not cut the rotors straight and they had to re-do the work. So the rotors were turned twice in the same week. They supposedly turned the rotors for a third time a few weeks ago, but they still feel warped. I had a friend who is a technician at Acura of 20 yrs test the car and he said the front brakes are warped. He looked at the rotors yesterday and said they were not turned. I will look for the Lexus work order, which states that the rortors were turned and bring the car back.

That is a good point, that the rotors will be too thin now after being turned three times. I wonder if Lexus will provide me with new brakes since it was their error in the first place? Thanks for the suggestions.

It does seem strange that tire dressing could be responsible for etching the wheels.
Old 08-17-10, 07:37 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh Im sure they will if you make a little fuss about it and show them they messed up and now your rotors are TRASH! make sure they put on new pads too
Old 08-17-10, 08:33 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Definitely complain to them until you get new rotors. Cutting the rotors 3x within a short period is very alarming. On a heavy vehicle like the GX, the brakes can heat up quickly which is important to have as much metal in the brakes as possible for heat capacity.
Old 08-19-10, 08:41 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not possible that your tire spray is causing pitting or etching of your rotors. Not unless one of the ingredients is hydrochloric, sulfuric or phosphoric acid (there are other acids that would damage metal as well), and they would have to be of a decent concentration percentage as well. Check the spray bottle (look if it lists ingredients), and take it to the dealer and ask him to point out the ingredient that causes the so called etching of the rotors. Then ask him for his chemical engineering degree and all reputable research papers that would prove his case. Sorry, but I hate BS that the dealers are spilling everywhere.
Old 08-21-10, 09:31 AM
rbx10
Driver

Try another dealer opinion
Rbx10
Old 08-23-10, 07:30 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

My dealer wouldn't turn my rotors at all. they stated that they were made to install new and didnt have the margin to turn. I have read alot of posts about GX factory rotors and would recommend a high performance upgraded rotor found on ebay. Unless you have a warranty from Lexus, I would buy the slotted ones that seem to deal with brake heat better without warping.
Old 08-24-10, 01:33 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Rotors on this vehicle should never be turned as they are thin and marginal at best from the factory new. Less metal just exasperates the problem.
As for the tire dressing, over 17 years in the auto parts field, never heard of that. I wish I were the one he told that too. The riot act would be one he would never forget.
Old 07-26-23, 12:47 PM
JesssieB86
1st Gear

Default 2017 Honda accord

Hey, so today I got my car detailed and they used black magic tire shine and now my brakes sound awful! I just had my car at Honda three weeks ago for an inspection and my brakes was good. It has to be that the tire shine on the rotors making it sound like this. I took it back to the place and they all tried to gang up on me and talk to me like I was stupid! Well apparently I'm not stupid very well educated and I know my car was not making no noises when it was dirty! You can wipe it with a rag and it's just greasy so my only solution I came up with is maybe it will just wear off and my car will be back to normal.

Quick Reply: Spray on Tire dressing etching my brake rotors?